Exhaust Wrap - Thoughts?

B166er_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Sorry. I did search and would assumed I would have found something but didn't.

So, I really like the look. I'm only mildly concerned about a performance loss. If there is, indeed, a performance loss. I am fairly concerned about ruining the stock finish on the factory header/pipes.

My thoughts are to either get a full new exhaust and wrap that new header (Yoshi probably) or just a slip on and buy an extra factory header so as to keep the original free of gunk.

Thoughts one way or another? Of course, if you hate the way it looks, I'm not sure its helpful but I'll accept it anyway. :D
 
B166er_imp said:
Sorry. I did search and would assumed I would have found something but didn't.

So, I really like the look. I'm only mildly concerned about a performance loss. If there is, indeed, a performance loss. I am fairly concerned about ruining the stock finish on the factory header/pipes.

My thoughts are to either get a full new exhaust and wrap that new header (Yoshi probably) or just a slip on and buy an extra factory header so as to keep the original free of gunk.

Thoughts one way or another? Of course, if you hate the way it looks, I'm not sure its helpful but I'll accept it anyway. :D
Well, here is a used header set for $250...I doubt you'll find one much cheaper to experiment on.

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....063&page=2


Wrapping pipes is supposed to have some performance benefit, but of late it has simply become a fashion statement on bikes. If your pipes are already corroded, then I might go for it, but I personally do not like the look. As you surmised, they do gunk up your pipes as they retain moisture (but do dry out as soon as you run them).

What drew me to the CB1100 was the retro/stock look. Plenty of guys I was in high school with modified their CB750s and they ended up looking like "rat" bikes.

And don't get me going on how bad the mostly black U.S. base model looks. I'd gladly pay the little extra for the deluxe so that I don't have a bike that looks like some high school kid took a rattle can of black paint to....sorry, rant over ;)
 
It's just personal preference, but I've never cared for the wrapped look on pipes.
I prefer to give them some TLC and keep them looking good.
 
Thread starter
I think those are fair points. Factory clean retro is really nice but I really like a little more "rat "with my "rod". The less chrome the better, IMO. I would like the tank to be the shiny highlight of the bike and that's it. However, I don't want to ruin anything for the sake of "a look".
 
B166er_imp said:
I think those are fair points. Factory clean retro is really nice but I really like a little more "rat "with my "rod". The less chrome the better, IMO. I would like the tank to be the shiny highlight of the bike and that's it. However, I don't want to ruin anything for the sake of "a look".
If you like it, go for it. Especially while folks are dumping their factory pipes for cheap. I'd like to see what it looks like, but I feel like it should come with bobbed black fenders, smaller signals and cafe mirrors :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
grover_imp said:
B166er_imp said:
I think those are fair points. Factory clean retro is really nice but I really like a little more "rat "with my "rod". The less chrome the better, IMO. I would like the tank to be the shiny highlight of the bike and that's it. However, I don't want to ruin anything for the sake of "a look".
If you like it, go for it. Especially while folks are dumping their factory pipes for cheap. I'd like to see what it looks like, but I feel like it should come with bobbed black fenders, smaller signals and cafe mirrors :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you like it, go for it. Especially while folks are dumping their factory pipes for cheap. I'd like to see what it looks like, but I feel like it should come with bobbed black fenders, smaller signals and cafe mirrors :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk exactly! I plan on firing up the oven and powder coating lots of aluminum bits too.
 
It is all a matter of personal taste. I saw a black CB at the dealership today. Looks nice, but I bought a Dlx, just wish it came in more than red. A Ducati is the only bike for me that must come in red.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
I went as far as ordering top of the line wrap and mocking it up on my bike. It looked good, but before I started the bike I changed my mind and removed it.

If you want to buy my wrap send me a PM. I'll sell it to you cheap. Got the the clamps too, which are stupid expensive.

I have the 1" Titanium Wrap from these guys: Design Engineering Inc. | Heat and Sound Insulation.
Oh sweet. What size roll? I assume everything I'd need to do a set of pipes?
 
Yes, I bought more than enough to do all four headers down to the cat. You'll need clamps for one pipe; when I did the mock-up I clamped it, and you have to destroy these clamps to remove them. You could get a pack of the kind I have, or use stainless steel hose clamps on two bottom ends and use the fancy clamps up top.
 
Thread starter
Well, feel free to give me a price shipped to 66205. Either by PM or whatever. Pretty interested.
 
Here are a couple if things I found out when I did a mock-up of the wrap:

- Its easy enough to wrap the pipes up high, but as you move down the gaps between the pipes narrows to the point the thickness of the wrap is greater than the space available. That meant us have to stop the wrap higher than I really wanted, or do an "overwrap" of all four pipes at the bottom. Maybe not so bad, but not what I really wanted.

- To get the headers on and off, you need to he able to move around the flange that bolts the headers up. It wasn't clear to me if, or how, I'd be able to go that if the wrap were there. But, maybe somebody else could make it work.

On the up- side: the DEI product is much higher quality than the wrap I put on my Low Rider. That chit was like black fiberglass tape; it had to be soaked before application and it lost its color quickly. This stuff is an order of magnitude easier to use, and it looks like it'll hold up much better.
 
Back
Top