Ethanol free fuel

I have Dogg, 93 oct runs very smooth on it ! But corn gas is ok too. Seemed to get mile or so better per gallon with non ethanol on trip to Chicago 2 weeks ago . Will use real gas when riding this winter for sure, corn gas goes bad faster they say.:biker:
 
Sometimes up to 10 % ethanol is in the gas I buy, sometimes it's ethanol free. Varies station to station.
 
Thread starter
I will be taking delivery of a 2014 CB 1100 deluxe soon. Been debating ethanol free vs premium fuel for this little unit. Just wanted to touch base to ensure no fuel related problems, etc. The ethanol free is kinda pricey but want to feed it the very best. Had a CB 550 back in the mid 70's and when I saw the CB1100 Honda I knew My checking account would be taking a direct hit!
 
I run premium ethanol free. That's when I fill up near my house which I keep my bikes full if I have to buy out on the road I buy premium with ethanol but don't like to
 
Only 2 or 3 stations left around here , mainly because of all the boats using it . Ethanol will mess up older boat motors , and many use coleman fuel for longer storage in lawn mowers and such.
 
powerdogg11_imp said:
I will be taking delivery of a 2014 CB 1100 deluxe soon. Been debating ethanol free vs premium fuel for this little unit. Just wanted to touch base to ensure no fuel related problems, etc. The ethanol free is kinda pricey but want to feed it the very best. Had a CB 550 back in the mid 70's and when I saw the CB1100 Honda I knew My checking account would be taking a direct hit!
Around here the premium if the only ethanol free gas.

I used to go one fill up of regular, one fill up premium (ethanol free), next was regular then the next two were premium and then I would start over again. Never had any issues...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
There is a country store about ten miles away that sells both premium and regular sans ethanol. I buy the regular there when I can for my bikes but always use this fuel for all my small motors and lawn care equipment. I cannot detect any difference with my bikes using the non ethanol gas but my riding mower (V twin Honda), runs much better. I used Sea Foam in the ethanol gas to prevent carburetor problems I had in the past.

I do not use premium as Honda does not call for it. There is no advantage whatever for using premium unless engine knock results on regular.
 
If I had the choice it would be non ethanol fuel. Not available in my area. I run it in NC in my truck, bike and lawn equipment.

I run 89 octane in the CB. When i was running premium with the pair mod you do notice increased unburnt fuel smell. I personally think the bike runs better on a lower octane the premium.
 
I use 91 octane, non oxygenated (ethanol free) fuel in all my small engines, snowmobiles, and motorcycles. I would use 87 octane if it was available in non oxygenated around here, but it's not. 91 octane is not a requirement for most machines, but it's better than having ethanol in your fuel. IMO. The shelf life of ethanol fuel is short. If your ethanol based fuel sits in your tank more than a month, it will start to leave a varnish on anything it touches. When I buy a used machine, I can always tell that they used ethanol fuel when I rebuild the carburetors. Varnish everywhere. But I usually get a good deal on it because it wasn't running very good!
At a minimum, when winterizing / summarizing your machines, fill your tank with non oxygenated fuel and run it until it gets thru the system.
Here is a good website.
Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada
There is also an app called Pure Gas for your phone.
 
Hittheroad_imp said:
I use 91 octane, non oxygenated (ethanol free) fuel in all my small engines, snowmobiles, and motorcycles. I would use 87 octane if it was available in non oxygenated around here, but it's not. 91 octane is not a requirement for most machines, but it's better than having ethanol in your fuel. IMO. The shelf life of ethanol fuel is short. If your ethanol based fuel sits in your tank more than a month, it will start to leave a varnish on anything it touches. When I buy a used machine, I can always tell that they used ethanol fuel when I rebuild the carburetors. Varnish everywhere. But I usually get a good deal on it because it wasn't running very good!
At a minimum, when winterizing / summarizing your machines, fill your tank with non oxygenated fuel and run it until it gets thru the system.
Here is a good website.
Pure-gas.org - ethanol-free gasoline in the U.S. and Canada
There is also an app called Pure Gas for your phone.
+1 I run Marine Stabil in ever tank of ethanol fuel.
 
Just lucky to live close to a US gas station that has all grades of ethanol free gas. Never have storage troubles and I get 52 - 58 mpg
on the CB all the time.
 
CIP, I believe Honda specify minimum 91 octane and max 5% ethanol 10% methanol. The general concencus here in OZ is to avoid both ethanol and methanol.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
CIP, I believe Honda specify minimum 91 octane and max 5% ethanol 10% methanol. The general concencus here in OZ is to avoid both ethanol and methanol.

Cheers
86 or higher in the US per manual although I've never seen 86, our pumps are usually 87/89/91/93 Maybe they rate octane different here.
 
I run 10% ethanol 87 octane (R+M/2 method) all the time. No problems whatsoever.
CIP57_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
CIP, I believe Honda specify minimum 91 octane and max 5% ethanol 10% methanol. The general concencus here in OZ is to avoid both ethanol and methanol.

Cheers
86 or higher in the US per manual although I've never seen 86, our pumps are usually 87/89/91/93 Maybe they rate octane different here.
Maybe they rate octane different here.
We do. U.S. uses (R + M) / 2 method. Many parts of the rest of world use just the Ron number, which is the "R" in the aforementioned formula, so it will be a higher number elsewhere in the world.
 
AzBob_imp said:
I run 10% ethanol 87 octane (R+M/2 method) all the time. No problems whatsoever.
CIP57_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
CIP, I believe Honda specify minimum 91 octane and max 5% ethanol 10% methanol. The general concencus here in OZ is to avoid both ethanol and methanol.

Cheers
86 or higher in the US per manual although I've never seen 86, our pumps are usually 87/89/91/93 Maybe they rate octane different here.
Maybe they rate octane different here.
We do. U.S. uses (R + M) / 2 method. Many parts of the rest of world use just the Ron number, which is the "R" in the aforementioned formula, so it will be a higher number elsewhere in the world.
Maybe they rate octane different here.
We do. U.S. uses (R + M) / 2 method. Many parts of the rest of world use just the Ron number, which is the "R" in the aforementioned formula, so it will be a higher number elsewhere in the world.
That is correct. A RON of 91 - 92 (Aus, NZ, Europe and many other parts of the world) is referred to as regular petrol, or gasoline. This equates to a MON of about 82 - 83 in the US, Canada, Brazil and some other countries, also referred to as regular.

Super/Premium in OZ is 95 and there are various brands of 98 available. Shell V-Power, BP Ultimate etc.

Although up to 10% methanol is approved for the CB I'm just a grumpy old fart who prefers not to use it. If it's not fresh then it can absorb moisture.

I guess a petrol thread could be as entertaining as an oil or tyre thread. But then, maybe not.

Cheers
 
Back
Top