Enhanced Like Functionality: Updated Plugin Installed

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
Please be advised that we pushed our Alpha Release of the Enhanced Like Plugin to our Forum this morning. We believe the code is stable and consistent with the use case detailed below. Please find a few posts you enjoy and test out the Like Options!

If you encounter any problems, please document them on this Post so all Forum Members can be made aware. If you like what you see but have further suggestions for improvement, we welcome those too.

Enjoy your weekend. David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please see the proposed update to the Like Plugin we have in development. We welcome your feedback:

Untitled_Project.gif


Updated Use Case for Like Plugin

End User reviews a post

End User opts to select an icon expressing a reaction:
Like
Love
Informative
Cool
Funny
Wow
Sad

End User can select only one reaction per post. End User can also add a textual reply but it will follow the standard posting protocol of MyBB.
 
Thread starter
[quote="peterbaron" pid='269989' dateline='1754003639']
Is this option already working???
[/QUOTE]

No. It is a prototype operating outside of the Forum. We would like to get some feedback and buy-in before we implement it. It can always be updated because it is custom code, but we would like to get it "right" to start and then reevaluate things once a year. I would like to have the Forum guide us in the right direction and help minimize the iterations. Thanks, everyone. David
 
I think it's a good concept. My uncertainty is re: what the results look like to the next viewer. Is it a simple tally of all the responses, and how much real estate does that take up on the screen? I'd hate to see the screen get too cluttered because of offering a lot of choices.
 
Thread starter
The A-man said:
I think it's a good concept.  My uncertainty is re: what the results look like to the next viewer.  Is it a simple tally of all the responses, and how much real estate does that take up on the screen?  I'd hate to see the screen get  :) too cluttered because of offering a lot of choices.

All reasonable concerns. Let me gather a little more feedback and we will finish development of the “Like Summary Bar” for the noted Post. Then we will post an Alpha Release. If it flops, we will try again. If it has potential, we will refine. It it right from the start, I will be dumfounded because that has never, ever happened on any development project I have worked on! :)
 
I would prefer (I didn't want to say 'Like') to see all the text in the box containing the 'Like' response in a smaller font size and also to make sure it always appears at the bottom of the cell containing the post so it clashes a little less with the post itself.
 
I really like it.  Like the others, I favor solutions that don't take up much real estate on the screen.  Having used similar "reaction" functions on other forums, I think this has a good chance of success.  I personally favor the ones where you hover over the reactions to see who used them (less text and space are used up on the screen).  But regardless, I like (love?) the choice of reactions, they are clear and they basically cover all the options I would want.
 
Thread starter
Mostafa and I plan to build a hover bar for each post. Any post which receives an emoji will display all emojis given along with the number of Forum Members who have responded. If you click on the emoji, it will display all the names of the Forum Members who selected that emoji to denote the post. I hope my response makes sense. It will be easier to assess after we have an Alpha Release deployed. Thanks for the feedback and engagement. Both are appreciated. David
 
Thread starter
[quote="peterbaron" pid='269989' dateline='1754003639']
Is this option already working???
[/QUOTE]

It is now. David
 
Thread starter
Please be advised that we pushed our Alpha Release of the Enhanced Like Plugin to our Forum this morning. We believe the code is stable and consistent with the use case detailed below. Please find a few posts you enjoy and test out the Like Options!

If you encounter any problems, please document them on this Post so all Forum Members can be made aware. If you like what you see but have further suggestions for improvement, we welcome those too.

Enjoy your weekend. David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please see the proposed update to the Like Plugin we have in development. We welcome your feedback:

Untitled_Project.gif


Updated Use Case for Like Plugin

End User reviews a post

End User opts to select an icon expressing a reaction:
Like
Love
Informative
Cool
Funny
Wow
Sad

End User can select only one reaction per post. End User can also add a textual reply but it will follow the standard posting protocol of MyBB.
 
I'd prefer the icons to sit along the bottom line of the post box and even, if possible, be smaller. However, if that's all too hard, it'll do just fine.
 
Thread starter
rdprdp01 said:
Please be advised that we pushed our Alpha Release of the Enhanced Like Plugin to our Forum this morning. We believe the code is stable and consistent with the use case detailed below. Please find a few posts you enjoy and test out the Like Options!

If you encounter any problems, please document them on this Post so all Forum Members can be made aware. If you like what you see but have further suggestions for improvement, we welcome those too.

Enjoy your weekend. David

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please see the proposed update to the Like Plugin we have in development. We welcome your feedback:

Untitled_Project.gif


Updated Use Case for Like Plugin

End User reviews a post

End User opts to select an icon expressing a reaction:
Like
Love
Informative
Cool
Funny
Wow
Sad

End User can select only one reaction per post. End User can also add a textual reply but it will follow the standard posting protocol of MyBB.

Will see what we can do. Icons may have to stay at current size because if they were smaller it would be harder to use them on phones and tablets. David
 
Works for me! But there is no image your post. Just a little question mark.
 
Will see what we can do. Icons may have to stay at current size because if they were smaller it would be harder to use them on phones and tablets. David

Makes sense. OK.
 
Thread starter
We worked on refining the Like Plugin this afternoon based on test results and feedback. I believe we have a Release Candidate that is good to go. If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, please post them today if you can. And even more importantly, I hope you can find the time to go for a ride on your CB1100. Take care, David
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
I'd prefer the icons to sit along the bottom line of the post box and even, if possible, be smaller. However, if that's all too hard, it'll do just fine.

We made the cell that holds the icons smaller, which brings them closer to the baseline you identified. The icons are centered within that cell because it was easier for us to mange placement in the responsive themes that render on phones and tablets. We can get to where you want to go, but it will require more coding than what is possible at the moment. I have added this requirement to our development list for December. If you change your mind and opt to leave things as is, let me know.

Cormanus, thanks again for the help with the design, even if we did not stick the landing of the icons where you wanted them. :)


If anyone is interested in seeing who has Liked or Loved or selected any other emoji to associate with your post, simply click on the emjoi at the bottom of your post and you will see who expressed super. The number next to the emoji indicates how many Members had the same reaction.

There is a lot of good will on the Forum but we are all busy. It is my hope this Like Enhancement will enable us to express a quick reaction in those moments when we do not have time to write up a response to a post. Good night. David
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0725.webp
    IMG_0725.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 8
rpdrpd01, if others are happy, I'm quite happy to live with the icons as they are. Nice work by you and Mostafa.
 
Back
Top