Engine trouble... awaiting diagnosis

thanks for the update. I now wonder if it's cam chain noise from a premature tensioner failure. Blackbirds are notorious for failing cam chain tensioners. When they go, you can hear the cam chain scraping against the cases. It makes a noticeable racket. After replacing mine for the 2nd time, I just gave up and live with the noise as long as the chain doesn't get too slack and really starts causing problems.
 
Thread starter
Hoping for a call from my dealer this afternoon to tell me the news.

Always wanted a Blackbird (matte black/silver is my favorite).
 
jodyz, thanks for keeping us all up-to-date on your issue. I'm hoping that you can at least get some information from your dialer, be it good or bad. Good news will provide you with peace of mind and bad news, they'll be able to remedy under warranty.

Please be sure to keep us posted as the situation evolves.
 
Thread starter
I called my service dept today at closing time. It took them two days of trying (Sat & Mon), but they finally reproduced the rattle I've been hearing since I picked up the bike. They will contact Honda tomorrow to find out if there are similar incidents. They didn't commit to a diagnosis, but did say it "sounds like an oiling issue" and oil not getting to "the top end". If that is the case, then I've been riding the bike for 2100 miles with serious flaw. I have no idea what mfr do in situations like this, but I certainly cannot ride the bike the way it is. Will they want to tear down and rebuild the motor? Replace the motor? Replace the entire bike? I have no idea. I'll just have to wait and see what they (dealer and Honda) decide to do.

Anyone have a similar experience with any bike they owned?
 
Thread starter
ridesalot_imp said:
jodyz, a few general thoughts on the noise you are hearing. If the noise is coming from the inside of the motor, rattling sounds can be produced by a malfunctioning cam chain and its tensioner. It will be interesting to hear what the mechanics discover.

If the source of the noise is outside the motor it should be easier for you to find it by checking for tightness on all nuts and bolts which attach to either the motor or the frame.

A normal sound which you can hear is produced by the AIS (air injection system). During idle and low engine speed the AIS introduces air into the exhaust stream acting like an afterburner to burn any unburned fuel that reaches the header. This is accomplished using valves which are opened and closed by the CPU. The resulting clacking noise is audible. The AIS can also produce a popping noise on trailing throttle.

I believe that at idle and low rpm I can hear the cam doing its job. I would have to think of this as normal noise as well.
It's definitely an unnatural engine sound. I need to find a place to post my sound clip.
 
Well, I hope it doesn't totally sour you on the bike.

I had a brand new Subaru WRX that would pop out of 1st gear when driving it at low speeds. It was fixed under warranty, but something like that is still an unnerving experience with a new vehicle. I've had two other WRXs since then and they've been dead solid. Even the Japanese screw up once in a while, but I still have great faith in their vehicles, more so than any others. Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.
 
Thread starter
I was supposed to get my bike back today, but couldn't get out of work in time to pick it up. Tomorrow, I should have full details of what Honda said about the motor, and what the service dept had to "adjust". Right now, I just have a vague phone message about what they needed to do.
 
jodyz_imp said:
I was supposed to get my bike back today, but couldn't get out of work in time to pick it up. Tomorrow, I should have full details of what Honda said about the motor, and what the service dept had to "adjust". Right now, I just have a vague phone message about what they needed to do.
Hope they take care of it. Good luck.
 
Thread starter
I called my service dept on Friday afternoon. Turns out my bike isn't done yet. Stopped by Sat afternoon to get some details. Honda's initial idea of adjusting the balance shaft was not the problem. Dealer adjusted and tested the bike four times on Thursday without reproducing the noise. When they rolled the bike out of the shop on Friday morning, the rattling noise had returned. Not only returned, but it was easily reproducible. Rattle is very pronounced at just 200-300 rpm above idle. They isolated the sound of the rattle to the exact area I identified early on (bottom, front of engine case where the oil lines enter/exit the motor). Now Honda is sending a new cam chain tensioner. I'll be lucky to get my bike back by the end of next week as the part(s) is not expected until Wed at the earliest.

I didn't mind the dealer having my bike for 5 days when the weather sucked. Rode it for a week. Now going on day 9 without a bike.
 
Sorry to hear about your problems with a brand new bike. It must suck big time. If it is a broken cam chain tensioner then the bright side is that it didn't cause any real damage, just a lot of noise.
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
Sorry to hear about your problems with a brand new bike. It must suck big time. If it is a broken cam chain tensioner then the bright side is that it didn't cause any real damage, just a lot of noise.
If it does turn out to be the cam chain tensioner, then Deanohh was the first to diagnose it after my initial post.

Fingers crossed that I'm riding again by next weekend.
 
Have fingers crossed for you too brother. What a bummer.
 
Thread starter
Part must have arrived as my bike is inside the shop with the cam chain tensioner off. Awaiting the return of lead mechanic to finish up the bike. I might have it tomorrow, or Friday if all goes well and the rattle is gone.
 
Thread starter
Good news, and bad news. The good news is I have my bike back. The bad news is that the noise is still present. Like some folks believed from the get-go, it appears to be a "normal" noise for this engine. After the cam chain tensioner was swapped, the noise still persists. It just so happens that another CB1100 came in for it's first service yesterday afternoon and, after letting the bike warm up, it made the same sounds mine makes. Service mgr then pulled the new CB1100 off the floor, let it warm up, and it made the same noises.

In summary, my concern was unfounded and the service dept learned something about modern, air-cooled motors. What I don't understand is when they first contacted Honda, it wasn't identified as being normal. But now that I've heard the same rattling noise coming from three bikes all at the same time, I feel more at ease with getting back to "riding like I stole it".

I hope my experience can help others avoid what I've gone through. Now it's time to ride!
 
jodyz_imp said:
Good news, and bad news. The good news is I have my bike back. The bad news is that the noise is still present. Like some folks believed from the get-go, it appears to be a "normal" noise for this engine. After the cam chain tensioner was swapped, the noise still persists. It just so happens that another CB1100 came in for it's first service yesterday afternoon and, after letting the bike warm up, it made the same sounds mine makes. Service mgr then pulled the new CB1100 off the floor, let it warm up, and it made the same noises.

In summary, my concern was unfounded and the service dept learned something about modern, air-cooled motors. What I don't understand is when they first contacted Honda, it wasn't identified as being normal. But now that I've heard the same rattling noise coming from three bikes all at the same time, I feel more at ease with getting back to "riding like I stole it".

I hope my experience can help others avoid what I've gone through. Now it's time to ride!
You don't happen to be in Rockwall, do you?
 
jodyz_imp said:
Good news, and bad news. The good news is I have my bike back. The bad news is that the noise is still present. Like some folks believed from the get-go, it appears to be a "normal" noise for this engine. After the cam chain tensioner was swapped, the noise still persists. It just so happens that another CB1100 came in for it's first service yesterday afternoon and, after letting the bike warm up, it made the same sounds mine makes. Service mgr then pulled the new CB1100 off the floor, let it warm up, and it made the same noises.

In summary, my concern was unfounded and the service dept learned something about modern, air-cooled motors. What I don't understand is when they first contacted Honda, it wasn't identified as being normal. But now that I've heard the same rattling noise coming from three bikes all at the same time, I feel more at ease with getting back to "riding like I stole it".

I hope my experience can help others avoid what I've gone through. Now it's time to ride!
I'm happy for you, however the oil 10w30 honda sh puts this engine is too thin on my bike will put the 15w40 or 10W50 which is more dense and helps to reduce the interior noise of the engine.
 
Back
Top