Engine trouble... awaiting diagnosis

jodyz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I took delivery of my CB at the end of March and now, with just under 1500 miles, the bike is back at the dealer awaiting a diagnosis to my engine noise. I took the bike back to the dealer at ~150, ~400, ~600 (first service), and now at just under 1500 miles, each time telling the service dept lead that there are noises coming from the motor that appeared to be intermittent. Dealer was unable to hear what I had been hearing since I purchased the bike, until Friday when I dropped the bike off after finally being able to localize the noise while parked. To me, the noise appears to be coming from the front, lower engine case right about where the oil cooler lines enter/exit the motor. Anyway, the dealer finally heard what I was hearing and they won't have a diagnosis until next week. I was told they'd be calling Honda to see if there have been any issues with the motor.

I've babied this bike since day-1. Short shifting and varying engine speed below 5k for the first 600 miles. Since the 600 miles service, I've opened it up a bit more, but I haven't hit 7k+ more than once or twice.

At first, either I, or the dealer, attributed the odd noises I heard to helmet vents (Shoei NeoTec) or my 8+ years away from riding. Coming off a 2002 Honda 919 (18k miles in 25 months of ownership), the air-cooled CB1100 was a different sounding bike to what I am accustomed to.

I hope to know more by mid-week.
 
Thread starter
jodyz_imp said:
I took delivery of my CB at the end of March and now, with just under 1500 miles, the bike is back at the dealer awaiting a diagnosis to my engine noise. I took the bike back to the dealer at ~150, ~400, ~600 (first service), and now at just under 1500 miles, each time telling the service dept lead that there are noises coming from the motor that appeared to be intermittent. Dealer was unable to hear what I had been hearing since I purchased the bike, until Friday when I dropped the bike off after finally being able to localize the noise while parked. To me, the noise appears to be coming from the front, lower engine case right about where the oil cooler lines enter/exit the motor. Anyway, the dealer finally heard what I was hearing and they won't have a diagnosis until next week. I was told they'd be calling Honda to see if there have been any issues with the motor.

I've babied this bike since day-1. Short shifting and varying engine speed below 5k for the first 600 miles. Since the 600 miles service, I've opened it up a bit more, but I haven't hit 7k+ more than once or twice.

At first, either I, or the dealer, attributed the odd noises I heard to helmet vents (Shoei NeoTec) or my 8+ years away from riding. Coming off a 2002 Honda 919 (18k miles in 25 months of ownership), the air-cooled CB1100 was a different sounding bike to what I am accustomed to.

I hope to know more by mid-week.
darmahman_imp said:
What kind of noises are you hearing? From where exactly?
It sounds like a rattle or clunking. Also, the valves seemed loud to me since day 1. Again, I attributed that to my unfamiliarity with air-cooled motors. It may be my paranoia that makes me believe the valves are getting noisier as the rattling in the lower engine progressed. I really hope to know something before the end of next week.
 
jodyz_imp said:
jodyz_imp said:
I took delivery of my CB at the end of March and now, with just under 1500 miles, the bike is back at the dealer awaiting a diagnosis to my engine noise. I took the bike back to the dealer at ~150, ~400, ~600 (first service), and now at just under 1500 miles, each time telling the service dept lead that there are noises coming from the motor that appeared to be intermittent. Dealer was unable to hear what I had been hearing since I purchased the bike, until Friday when I dropped the bike off after finally being able to localize the noise while parked. To me, the noise appears to be coming from the front, lower engine case right about where the oil cooler lines enter/exit the motor. Anyway, the dealer finally heard what I was hearing and they won't have a diagnosis until next week. I was told they'd be calling Honda to see if there have been any issues with the motor.

I've babied this bike since day-1. Short shifting and varying engine speed below 5k for the first 600 miles. Since the 600 miles service, I've opened it up a bit more, but I haven't hit 7k+ more than once or twice.

At first, either I, or the dealer, attributed the odd noises I heard to helmet vents (Shoei NeoTec) or my 8+ years away from riding. Coming off a 2002 Honda 919 (18k miles in 25 months of ownership), the air-cooled CB1100 was a different sounding bike to what I am accustomed to.

I hope to know more by mid-week.
darmahman_imp said:
What kind of noises are you hearing? From where exactly?
It sounds like a rattle or clunking. Also, the valves seemed loud to me since day 1. Again, I attributed that to my unfamiliarity with air-cooled motors. It may be my paranoia that makes me believe the valves are getting noisier as the rattling in the lower engine progressed. I really hope to know something before the end of next week.
ugh.. rattle or clunk from the lower front of the engine.. bearing going bad ? sucks about the downtime. I'll be curious what it turns out to be.
 
I just bought one as well, have about 300 miles on it. I noticed the same thing today, along with another issue I'll be posting about (I'm not very versed in mechanical things). I thought the rattle was possibly a loose gasket on the exhaust manifold, but that probably isn't it.

Hope you get good news from the dealer, I hope to take mine in soon as well.
 
I've noticed a noise on my bike that I thought could be the valves. It can be heard as a clicking that occurs just as you begin to twist the throttle. After some research, I've come to attribute this to the fuel injection system. This is the first fuel injected bike that I've ridden and I have to admit to not being familiar with such things.

As far as the rattling goes, I'll be interested to hear what your dealer discovers. I noticed once when cleaning my bike that a small rock had become trapped down in the area where all four headers join. I wasn't expecting to find it there, but I could see how it might happen every now and then. Don't know if it's happened to anyone else here or not, but I could see where that could make some noise as well.
 
Wereignsupreme_imp said:
I just bought one as well, have about 300 miles on it. I noticed the same thing today, along with another issue I'll be posting about (I'm not very versed in mechanical things). I thought the rattle was possibly a loose gasket on the exhaust manifold, but that probably isn't it.

Hope you get good news from the dealer, I hope to take mine in soon as well.
cam chain? Just guessing. You can use a length of small diameter hose as a "stethoscope" to pretty closely locate the noise.
 
This engine is so tight and quiet that I think it would be easy to mistake some noises as problematic that aren't. I would find it totally amazing and will eat major crow if even one, let alone 2 new Honda motorcycles here on this forum have an engine problem.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
I've noticed a noise on my bike that I thought could be the valves. It can be heard as a clicking that occurs just as you begin to twist the throttle. After some research, I've come to attribute this to the fuel injection system. This is the first fuel injected bike that I've ridden and I have to admit to not being familiar with such things.

As far as the rattling goes, I'll be interested to hear what your dealer discovers. I noticed once when cleaning my bike that a small rock had become trapped down in the area where all four headers join. I wasn't expecting to find it there, but I could see how it might happen every now and then. Don't know if it's happened to anyone else here or not, but I could see where that could make some noise as well.
I had to pull over one day on my way to work because gravel had gotten on top of the exhaust pipes and was making a tremendous racket. It sounded like the entire crankcase had come apart. When I pulled over and put the bike on its side stand, a couple pieces of gravel fell onto the ground.

darmahman_imp said:
This engine is so tight and quiet that I think it would be easy to mistake some noises as problematic that aren't. I would find it totally amazing and will eat major crow if even one, let alone 2 new Honda motorcycles here on this forum have an engine problem.
I kept telling myself the same thing. I sincerely hope you're right, and it turns out to be nothing, but it has my dealer concerned enough (now that they have heard the same noise) that they intend to contact Honda on Tuesday.
 
jodyz, a few general thoughts on the noise you are hearing. If the noise is coming from the inside of the motor, rattling sounds can be produced by a malfunctioning cam chain and its tensioner. It will be interesting to hear what the mechanics discover.

If the source of the noise is outside the motor it should be easier for you to find it by checking for tightness on all nuts and bolts which attach to either the motor or the frame.

A normal sound which you can hear is produced by the AIS (air injection system). During idle and low engine speed the AIS introduces air into the exhaust stream acting like an afterburner to burn any unburned fuel that reaches the header. This is accomplished using valves which are opened and closed by the CPU. The resulting clacking noise is audible. The AIS can also produce a popping noise on trailing throttle.

I believe that at idle and low rpm I can hear the cam doing its job. I would have to think of this as normal noise as well.
 
Until someone posts a video or audio clip of what sound they are referring to, it's premature to think 'oh my god, my bike is making a noise too, it's falling apart !'. Same thing happened early on in the CBR250R forums.. Someone hears some fairing rattling and thinks their bike is ready to explode. Everyone else layers on top of that their pet sound and concludes that their bike is suffering 'the same thing'. All this while no actual sound clip as been posted so the tendency is to think that everyone is referring to the same sound (and imminent mechanical disaster)...

If it were a bearing going bad, based on the few that I've heard, the sound would be so loud that it would be as if someone were striking the engine cases with a hammer, *hard*, not just tapping gently.

I hope that's not what you're hearing !
 
Guth_imp said:
I've noticed a noise on my bike that I thought could be the valves. It can be heard as a clicking that occurs just as you begin to twist the throttle. After some research, I've come to attribute this to the fuel injection system. This is the first fuel injected bike that I've ridden and I have to admit to not being familiar with such things.

As far as the rattling goes, I'll be interested to hear what your dealer discovers. I noticed once when cleaning my bike that a small rock had become trapped down in the area where all four headers join. I wasn't expecting to find it there, but I could see how it might happen every now and then. Don't know if it's happened to anyone else here or not, but I could see where that could make some noise as well.
I heard the same noise and grabbed the service manager at the shop I work at immediately. He listened and said it was the injectors. I trust his judgement and it sounds like your research has confirmed his diagnosis.
 
I also have what I believe to be injector noise. Having owned many injected bikes where the noise, if any, was less pronounced, I was a bit concerned at first. I think (hope) it is just the fact that the bike is so quiet that relatively soft sounds that would be masked on most bikes are hearable on the CB1100. Of course, I'm often humming with joy while astride my CB, which hides the clicking.
 
So... what I am hearing is the fix to this is, a louder exhaust?

Seriously tho. My last Honda was a Shadow RS that was fuel injected,and it had the same kinda wheedling noise at low acceleration that this bike has. Just a characteristic noise from the FI systems. I have been paying more attention to mine as I read these threads, and haven't noticed much change except my exhaust getting louder.

I certainly hope any actual issues with your rides will get the attention they deserve. As they have been on the market a few years now, one would think the bugs would be out. Or perhaps they did something to Americanize them that is causing this issue.
 
These bikes run like swiss watches. Any kind or rattling or excessive valve noise is not normal. Good luck with your issue. I am sure Honda will put it right for you.
 
Darn !!

The makings of a great mystery, and someone tore the last pages out of the magazine leaving to wonder what
happened....

mike
 
Thread starter
I've avoided this forum the the past couple weeks because I didn't want to post anything until I knew something more. I got my bike back from the dealer a few days after dropping it off. They could not reproduce what I was hearing. Since I mostly heard it while riding at speed (40+mph), I was convinced by the dealer, and eventually myself, that what I was hearing were normal noises, license plate/bracket clatter, or paranoid delusions. Well... no more. After the bike sat for 8 hours in the +95 degree heat of east Texas, I insert the key, hit the starter... it fires up with a clatter/rattle plain as day. I quickly grabbed my iPhone from the tank bag and recorded the noise (held the phone about 1 foot away from the left side of the engine case). I rev'd it a bit, and the rattle increased/decreased along with the rpms. This was the first time I actually heard it clearly without my helmet on and the bike idling. I drove the bike to the dealer (30miles away) figuring that if the rattle is damaging anything, it's long ago done whatever it was going to do. Road normally, and I still heard the rattle/clanking noise at different speeds up until the wind noise overpowered any odd engine sounds. Of course, when I pull into the dealer, the service manager (good guy; very knowledgable as far as I can tell) listens to the bike but it just sounds normal (loud, mechanical sewing machine sounds). He listens to my recording on the iPhone speaker and agrees that something sounds wrong. So, he will start the bike in the morning and try to diagnose the problem IF he hears the same sound. At this point, I don't want to bring the bike home until they find the issue.

( I've tried to upload the .m4a file from my iPhone but it didn't work. Converted file to .wav and it still won't show in the post. Must only allow images)
 
Back
Top