Engine Side Covers

firstforward_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hello everybody my first post, have been lurking for some time now and hope to make a purchase soon.

One thing I have noticed, looking at your pictures of bikes in the USA, I notice the engine side covers on Honda's UK web site states and shows the covers are polished aluminium and how nice that all looks.

On visiting my local dealer the UK bikes are not polished metal but a horrible spray painted silver and believe me in the flesh that looks so plain and absolutely disappointed me.

It would not be a deal changer, just means the bike will be that more expensive to correct. Are there any other changes to UK spec to USA?
 
G'day, firstforward, and welcome to the forum. The 2013 model had spray painted silver side covers; on the 2017 models they're polished aluminum. I saw both 2017 models while in the UK recently and they polished aluminum side covers.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
G'day, firstforward, and welcome to the forum. The 2013 model had spray painted silver side covers; on the 2017 models they're polished aluminum. I saw both 2017 models while in the UK recently and they polished aluminum side covers.
Hi Cormanus,

Thanks for the reply.

It appears all model year CB1100 have had silver spray painted engine covers in the UK, the 2017 Honda website looks like polished in the photo's. I took this up with Honda UK last week, whilst they accept this might be misleading they have confirmed they are sold in the UK as silver paint.

It makes a big difference IMO, and a bit dissapointed with Honda knowing that the pics are not a true representation of what is on sale, are not going to change the photos any time soon.
 
I’d be interested to hear from the members who have the 2017 CBs. I’m sure the side covers I saw on the UK bikes were brushed aluminum.
 
http://www.usedbikeshuntsmotorcycle...=HONDA&model=CB1100&vehicleType=bikes

Here's a UK dealer showng their floor models. Neither the old EX or the new EX and RS have the nice polished and clearcoated alimunum pieces like the US and Asian models. Their old EX looks like a DLX with spoked wheels except the side covers, rear peg/muffler brackets, passenger grab rails and top triple clamp are painted silver instead of polished. Plus the bar end weights and brake/clutch reservoir covers are black instead of polished.
 
Thanks BestStandard.
 
Don't worry firstforward, just wait a couple of years and most of the engine paint will have fallen off.... ;-)
I'm three years in and 50% of the barrels are bare and it's coming off the clutch cover too. Crank cases and valve covers seem to be holding up but I'm thinking of stripping the covers and polishing them. Barrels will get a lick of BBQ paint.
It seems Paint, just 'ain't what it used to be....

Also, I agree, the silver paint is rather boring.
....and quite right VLJ! Rotters, the lot of 'em ;-))
 
BestStandard_imp said:
http://www.usedbikeshuntsmotorcycle...=HONDA&model=CB1100&vehicleType=bikes

Here's a UK dealer showng their floor models. Neither the old EX or the new EX and RS have the nice polished and clearcoated alimunum pieces like the US and Asian models. Their old EX looks like a DLX with spoked wheels except the side covers, rear peg/muffler brackets, passenger grab rails and top triple clamp are painted silver instead of polished. Plus the bar end weights and brake/clutch reservoir covers are black instead of polished.
According to the Honda press release the side panels are brushed aluminum with a textured ‘hairline’ finish.
But on the Canadian 2017 CB1100 EX the side covers are metal with shiny silver paint.
On my bike the headlight brackets are brushed aluminum with a textured ‘hairline’ finish and clear coated.
I much prefer the smooth and shiny silver paint, as the headlight bracket finish looks homemade.

On my machine:
The foot peg and muffler brackets are polished alloy with clear coat.
The grab rail is chrome.
The top triple clamp is polished alloy with clear coat, and the bottom clamp shiny silver paint.
The bar end weights are chrome.
The clutch and brake reservoir cover are a gray metal and not polished.
The cam cover is polished alloy with chrome side caps.
The chain guard and wheel rims are alloy with a matt finish.

The Honda press release states the fuel tank holds 16.8 liters.
That would provide a 350 kilometer – 215 mile fuel range.
The Honda Canada website indicates 14.2 liters.
That would provide just less than a 300 kilometer – 185 mile fuel range.
Based on my riding experience and gas gauge, I believe the latter to be true.
If someone has ridden a 2017 CB1100 EX close to 350 kilometers – 215 miles on a tank of gas I would like to hear about it.
 
I must say I don't understand why they would do that?

I would rather just have bare unfinished metal then have it painted silver.
 
Banned_imp said:
I must say I don't understand why they would do that?

I would rather just have bare unfinished metal then have it painted silver.
Having the side covers buffed to a "hair line" finish by hand and then clear coated would be more expensive than robot painting.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I must say I don't understand why they would do that?

I would rather just have bare unfinished metal then have it painted silver.
Having the side covers buffed to a "hair line" finish by hand and then clear coated would be more expensive than robot painting.
Having the side covers buffed to a "hair line" finish by hand and then clear coated would be more expensive than robot painting.
Nortoon, you hit the nail on the head!
use2b_imp said:
my 13AD is polished
That is a lovely bike.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Banned_imp said:
I must say I don't understand why they would do that?

I would rather just have bare unfinished metal then have it painted silver.
Having the side covers buffed to a "hair line" finish by hand and then clear coated would be more expensive than robot painting.
Having the side covers buffed to a "hair line" finish by hand and then clear coated would be more expensive than robot painting.
Yeah, I get that but if they are already producing the polished parts for what is most likely their two largest markets (North America & Asia) how much are they actually saving by cheaping out in the UK? Or are all the European CB1100s the same?
 
Thread starter
Sorry for late reply on this, been so busy. What upsets me about this is the fact on the Honda UK website it shows polished covers and on bringing this to the attention of Honda they say it is an optical illusion on the photos. Guess I am dumb!
 
Hey there! Same thing in Portugal. I ask to my Honda dealer why was that and they had not even noticed there were two type of side covers finishes. But they confirmed that all the european models come with the same boring silver spray paint... Pitty! The polished versions are much more attractive and old school IMO.
 
Hopefully you guys are all referring to the same part. "Side panels", as mentioned by some, reside immediately below the seat on either side of the bike while engine side covers are mounted to either side of the engine (which is what this discussion would appear to be about).
 
Back
Top