Engine quit at stop light

My 2011 has one and it works.
 
My Uly had the ECM located under the seat. On hot days she the seat would flex, or after hours of riding my buns would put pressure on it, occasionally causing it to short and cutting out the engine. It did it so frequently I had to relocate it. Not sure where the ecm is on these, but it may have a short that under some condition such as stopping might trip it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck though, my story as tribute, I can say I know what I is like to be on a machine you're not 100% confident about.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Flyn,

We do have one. It is shown on the wiring diagram. Heck, it may be mandated by the .gov for all I know.
I guess mine must be faulty. If I'd been any more tipped over, I would have been upside down :P
I guess mine must be faulty. If I'd been any more tipped over, I would have been upside down :P
It takes about a second and a half to do its thing.

Ask me how I know this. :(
 
OK. How do you know this?
 
Done it.

Under near panic conditions. Forty pounds of gear tied on. In the rain. Two elderly gents watching me.

Still have the bent shifter.

Yeah, it revved up as it went over; but before I could panic over the crankcase running dry, it just quit.

I had never heard of that switch before.
 
Question: does the cb1100 have a "log file" for storing error codes?... seems like the circumstance stated at post#1 would store an error code if the bike does such with the ECU?... then, read the error code---> find translation & that is where I would start trouble shooting... if such an error is stored??:idea:
 
POPGUN... A service manual question lol

List of error codes
 
The ferret_imp said:
POPGUN... A service manual question lol

List of error codes
Wow, ferret,... six minutes from my posting until your reply!... you would have been one of the "quick-draws" in frontier Dodge City!!...I would have guessed the CB1100 does store error codes & this is exactly the current operating symptom I am having with a DL1000 Vstrom...the FI light comes on & engine dies upon rolling off throttle(like for stop at light/signs...or for making a turn)... after riding for a few miles... it starts right back up as if nothing happened IF I turn ignition key to OFF before going through restart attempt... currently scheduled to dealer appointment to read the error code(s) & trouble shoot from there...I hope this approach would help the ThreadCreator in his quest for solution...:hello:
 
JustPassinThru_imp said:
Done it.

Under near panic conditions. Forty pounds of gear tied on. In the rain. Two elderly gents watching me.

Still have the bent shifter.

Yeah, it revved up as it went over; but before I could panic over the crankcase running dry, it just quit.

I had never heard of that switch before.
OK, you're probably right that I didn't wait long enough. As soon as it started revving when it went over, I immediately hit the switch. I knew it was in gear and my leg was under there. Fear of getting my foot chainsawed gave me quick reaction time.

Still wondering what makes it rev like that when it tips over. :huh:
 
I'll look later. Right now I'm doing the Chip Beck/CB4ME light leak mod to my Road Comet. I like Chips solution, but have the rubber like CB4ME used so I'm doing it his way.

I'll be back...
OK,

Taking a break from the mod.

There are too many DTC codes to list here. The codes can be read with the HDS pocket tester, or by the MIL Blink pattern.

On the troubleshooting symptom page it pretty much says, for your problem, IACV or fuel tank breather hose restriction (had your tank off lately?).

We cannot post copyrighted stuff here, so I cannot post pics of the manual. I am going to PM you Silverbub.
 
Ferret,

Just FYI. I sent him a PM last night but never heard back. I was going to send him some manual info. Still will if he wants it.

AND your catalog is supposed to be delivered today according to the USPS tracking!
 
Popgun, I know you expect me to be ignorant, so what on earth is a "MIL blink pattern"?
 
Malfunction Indicator Light.

If you don't have the Honda diagnostic code reader (and who does but the dealer) then you can force the code to display by flashing the check engine light (the MIL).

It would then flash something like one long and 2 short for 12. I don't have the manual in front of me right now so I can't tell you how to force it, or the exact sequence of flashes, but that is the jist of it. Then you look on the table and see what fault is being displayed, or "thrown" as some people say.

Usually without a code reader you just jumper some pins on the DTC connector (the red one that in your case, and mine, the GI Pro is plugged into) and the sequence will start. It is in the Service manual and I can send it to you if you want.
 
Thanks. No need for the codes at the moment. I just wondered what it was. Makes sense.

My car mechanic has a universal code reader that he plugs into the car every now and again. Surely you can get them for bikes.
 
Cormanus, I do not know if you can or not. For outboards, the manufactures are all pretty much proprietary with their diagnostic machines. I THINK bikes are the same. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Some few years ago, my Honda outboard dealer said the Honda diagnostic tool was EXPENSIVE.

Cars usually have ODBC II and you are right in that you can get scanners just about anywhere, but usually have a provision to read the codes by flashing too.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ferret,

Just FYI. I sent him a PM last night but never heard back. I was going to send him some manual info. Still will if he wants it.

AND your catalog is supposed to be delivered today according to the USPS tracking!
Just to complete the "FYI"...I sent you, Popgun, a PM just now stating that I was only trying to provide the OP of this thread that perhaps he should find out what error code was "thrown" when his bike quit at stop sign/light...I was not asking for the code translation sheet... thanks for additional dialogue, though, as I find it useful!... Brings up the question, though, as to whether ALL makes of bikes with FI use the same code numeric sheets & translations??...:worship::hello: Inquiring mind would like to know... from way up in the observation deck... certainly, for me,... not on the "game-floor"!
 
Silverbub, yeah I got confused. Reading is supposed to be FUNdamental :)

I doubt all bike have the same codes, but I have an ST1300. I could compare the ST manual with the CB's manual and see if they are the same. But I would imagine that they are all different as there are different systems on bikes, and most likely different computers. We know that is true as the part numbers are different.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Silverbub, yeah I got confused. Reading is supposed to be FUNdamental :)

I doubt all bike have the same codes, but I have an ST1300. I could compare the ST manual with the CB's manual and see if they are the same. But I would imagine that they are all different as there are different systems on bikes, and most likely different computers. We know that is true as the part numbers are different.
Yeah, makes sense to me,... Too much to expect "standardization"...:D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus, I do not know if you can or not. For outboards, the manufactures are all pretty much proprietary with their diagnostic machines. I THINK bikes are the same. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

Some few years ago, my Honda outboard dealer said the Honda diagnostic tool was EXPENSIVE.

Cars usually have ODBC II and you are right in that you can get scanners just about anywhere, but usually have a provision to read the codes by flashing too.
Yep, bikes are the same. The standard OBD II interfaces on cars are federally mandated (in the U.S.) by the D.O.T. The main reason being that they are the standard for emissions control compliance. There's no such mandate for motorcycles (yet), so most manufacturers use their own proprietary interfaces and protocols. I'm sure that one day in the not-too-distant future, motorcycles will have a (mandated) common standard too.
 
Thread starter
It's been well over a week now and better than 700 miles and it's not done it again. I do have a shop manual and that's a great suggestion about the error codes so if it does it again I'll check it out.
 
Back
Top