Engine quit at stop light

sanoke_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I headed out on a ride today and about 10 miles into a 75 mile ride I pulled up to a red light and stopped. A couple seconds after I came to a complete stop, the engine just quit. Hit the starter switch and it started right up. The remainder of the ride was uneventful. Bike ran as smooth as usual, no hesitation on bumps or anything out of the ordinary. My bike is a 2013 CB1100 with completely stock engine and exhaust. Servicing is up to date and the bike has just over 35,000 miles.

Maybe it was just a fluke but I was wondering has anyone else had an experience like this?
 
For me it is usually letting the clutch out too fast.
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
For me it is usually letting the clutch out too fast.
I had the clutch pulled in the whole way and the bike was completely stopped. Just sat there for a couple seconds like that and the engine just quit.
 
I probably shouldn't say this because I have no idea where the kickstand kill switch is on this bike but those do get really dirty after a while. My Suzuki's is right where the sprocket throws gook from the chain and eventually wouldn't extend out and the bike wouldn't even run. You might check that all is clean under there, if that's where the Honda's is.
 
The kickstand switch annoys me all the time until I realize I left it down or it only went part of the way up. That could be the culprit here. You may have caught a boot on the kickstand long enough to kill it.
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
The kickstand switch annoys me all the time until I realize I left it down or it only went part of the way up. That could be the culprit here. You may have caught a boot on the kickstand long enough to kill it.
Maybe but I'm pretty sure my foot was on the ground well before the engine quit. Something to keep in mind. Thanks!
 
One time I turned left into a parking lot and it stopped accelerating; I managed to coast into my spot. I checked everything but it just wouldn't start back up.

I had accidentally hit the big red kill switch (that I never use because a shop told me that part wears out, to shut it off with the key, and that most of what he does at that shop is replace those switches).

Sometimes it's just a simple, silly problem, and we should be thankful for it!
 
+1 (or is it 2?) on the kickstand switch. A lot of folks bypass them because they can be finicky. I like how it keeps me from being stupid (stupider), so I just keep it in good order. Anyhow, it may not have caused this problem, but it's something to look at.
 
The kill switch on these bikes can be sensitive. I discovered this last year when coming to a stop and my finger lightly brushed the kill switch. Even though the switch remained in the on position it killed the engine. A subsequent check of the switch assembly showed nothing amiss.
 
check your negative terminal on your battery and other grounds

yup

sounds stupid but if it is loose it will do just what you described at idle
 
Thread starter
I checked the kick stand switch, the kill switch and the battery terminals and everything is fine. So the answer to my original question is nobody has had the same experience. Thanks for your feed back.
 
A bit off topic, but the engine will also quit when you drop the bike on its side (an ugly sight if there ever was one). Need to move the key to the off position then on to restart.

Sanoke - looks like the issue with your bike will remain a mystery for now.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
A bit off topic, but the engine will also quit when you drop the bike on its side (an ugly sight if there ever was one). Need to move the key to the off position then on to restart.

Sanoke - looks like the issue with your bike will remain a mystery for now.
I'd heard (somewhere on this site) that the bike had a tip over switch, but when I went down after hitting a deer I had to slap the kill switch. I know a lot of modern bikes have these switches, but are we sure the CB11 has one? Maybe mine is not working?
 
Flyn,

We do have one. It is shown on the wiring diagram. Heck, it may be mandated by the .gov for all I know.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Flyn,

We do have one. It is shown on the wiring diagram. Heck, it may be mandated by the .gov for all I know.
I guess mine must be faulty. If I'd been any more tipped over, I would have been upside down :P
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Flyn,

We do have one. It is shown on the wiring diagram. Heck, it may be mandated by the .gov for all I know.
I guess mine must be faulty. If I'd been any more tipped over, I would have been upside down :P

:rofl:

Rider hit a deer down the road from me this morning. My wife heard it was a fatal accident. (Edit cyclist was airlifted with major injuries but that is the latest info available online) Dang forest rats.
 
Its called the Bank Angle Sensor. It is supposed to activate at 60 degrees (approx.) That is from the '13 service manual. If you have a service manual, it is in section 5 (fuel section).

It is easy to do the checks, with the hardest part looking to be you have to remove the tank--and that isn't hard. :)
 
Back
Top