Engine oil

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Sorry in advance :-/ I guess this has been asked lots of times but the search shows nothing to help.

What engine oil is best to use ? I'm sure I've read somewhere that some can cause an engine tick so I want to avoid those.

My handbook recommends SAE 10w-30 jaso T903 standard MA api SG or higher.

I was planning on using my usual Castrol 10w-40 semi but the above spec has made me doubt my choice. Its the first service so want to get it right.
 
And just like that—an oil thread!! :banana:
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Sorry in advance :-/ I guess this has been asked lots of times but the search shows nothing to help.

What engine oil is best to use ? I'm sure I've read somewhere that some can cause an engine tick so I want to avoid those.

My handbook recommends SAE 10w-30 jaso T903 standard MA api SG or higher.

I was planning on using my usual Castrol 10w-40 semi but the above spec has made me doubt my choice. Its the first service so want to get it right.
Read comment no. 2 from this thread, maybe it will help you decide.

Plus, there are other good observations there.
 
An oil thread? What be this?

I used Honda GN4 10W40 and no problems.

I switched to Motul 5100 10W40 and it felt better, especially clutch action.

Ultimately I stayed with Shell Rotella T6 5W40. It was at least as good as Motul, but is a full synthetic and useful for winter cold climate riding as well as profuse, steamy hot summer conditions.
 
Not to be snarky, but use what you like. If you don’t want to second-guess yourself, simply follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. There’s nothing wrong with it and your bike will be fine.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
Sorry in advance :-/ I guess this has been asked lots of times but the search shows nothing to help.

What engine oil is best to use ? I'm sure I've read somewhere that some can cause an engine tick so I want to avoid those.

My handbook recommends SAE 10w-30 jaso T903 standard MA api SG or higher.

I was planning on using my usual Castrol 10w-40 semi but the above spec has made me doubt my choice. Its the first service so want to get it right.
Read comment no. 2 from this thread, maybe it will help you decide.

Plus, there are other good observations there.

[url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=16760&highlight=oil+change]Read comment no. 2 from this thread, maybe it will help you decide.

Plus, there are other good observations there.
That's the thread I was looking for thanks.
I'll go with the recommended 10-30 this time.

Don't want this to go on forever so it can be closed if the powers that be wish to do so.
 
My last four Honda motorcycles in the past six years all recommended 10W30 in their engines.

Heck, even my Honda EU2000i recommends 10W30. Now that I think about it, my Honda lawnmower suggests 10W30. There is a theme going on here.

Use the grade that is suitable for your climate, or just stick to the Honda product literature.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Not to be snarky, but use what you like. If you don’t want to second-guess yourself, simply follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. There’s nothing wrong with it and your bike will be fine.
This is just toooo darn practical. Lol
 
I struggle with oil choice in all of my bikes. With the CB1100, I just went with 10/30 Honda GN4 knowing it would be a safe bet. Perhaps I would switch to 10/40 in the hot summer months.
 
No one that I can recall has mentioned any specific oil harming their engine. It seems that some feel specific oils can improve "aspects" of their engine performance. I just use Honda GN4 10W30 because Mr Ferret said so. :)
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Sorry in advance :-/ I guess this has been asked lots of times but the search shows nothing to help.

What engine oil is best to use ? I'm sure I've read somewhere that some can cause an engine tick so I want to avoid those.

My handbook recommends SAE 10w-30 jaso T903 standard MA api SG or higher.

I was planning on using my usual Castrol 10w-40 semi but the above spec has made me doubt my choice. Its the first service so want to get it right.
No need to take advice from anyone, Mr Honda did the work for you and stuck the specification in the owners manual. Now you just have to select a brand, ooh, choices choices. Uh, no really, any known brand to the Honda specification will do.
 
bflint_imp said:
No one that I can recall has mentioned any specific oil harming their engine. It seems that some feel specific oils can improve "aspects" of their engine performance. I just use Honda GN4 10W30 because Mr Ferret said so. :)
Oil filters..now that's another story :rofl:

*edit ..technically no one on this forum has reported having an engine failure because of any brand of oil filter..although one had the potential to do so.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
No one that I can recall has mentioned any specific oil harming their engine. It seems that some feel specific oils can improve "aspects" of their engine performance. I just use Honda GN4 10W30 because Mr Ferret said so. :)
Oil filters..now that's another story :rofl:

*edit ..technically no one on this forum has reported having an engine failure because of any brand of oil filter..although one had the potential to do so.
Oil filters..now that's another story :rofl:

*edit ..technically no one on this forum has reported having an engine failure because of any brand of oil filter..although one had the potential to do so.
Oil filters :D it is another story when its impossible to find out which filter number I need. I have choice of two makes near me Champion which has poor reviews or Hiflofiltro which are good it seems but I can not find out which I need. On the HI flo website If I put my reg number in it comes back (can not be found) or if I go through bike details .. honda, cb 1100 it comes back with cb500 for some reason.
Its times like this when I miss my local Honda dealer.
 
Oil filters :D it is another story when its impossible to find out which filter number I need. I have choice of two makes near me Champion which has poor reviews or Hiflofiltro which are good it seems but I can not find out which I need. On the HI flo website If I put my reg number in it comes back (can not be found) or if I go through bike details .. honda, cb 1100 it comes back with cb500 for some reason.
Its times like this when I miss my local Honda dealer.
[/QUOTE]

You could try bike-parts-honda.com. They seem to do the Honda oil filter.

 
Mixagon_imp said:
Sorry in advance :-/ I guess this has been asked lots of times but the search shows nothing to help.

What engine oil is best to use ? I'm sure I've read somewhere that some can cause an engine tick so I want to avoid those.

My handbook recommends SAE 10w-30 jaso T903 standard MA api SG or higher.

I was planning on using my usual Castrol 10w-40 semi but the above spec has made me doubt my choice. Its the first service so want to get it right.

Hi Mixagon,
I got my oil from Halfords, Castrol semi 10w/40 and yes it did make a ticking noise right down at the bottom RHS. The noise was not there before. It ran fine otherwise but seeing as you asked. I would stick to the 10w/30 TBH, I don’t think in the UK we get the higher temperatures to justify the 40 weight even though I have no doubt many have used it. Not an oil thread just my experience take it for what you will.
 
Honda oil filters for our bike are used on a number of Honda products. I don’t know all of them, but for example, my CB and ST use the same filter. I think my Honda outboards use the same on too.

Mix, I didn’t look, but if you look in the fiche the CB500 an CB1100 most likely use the same filter.
 
Oil filters :D it is another story when its impossible to find out which filter number I need. I have choice of two makes near me Champion which has poor reviews or Hiflofiltro which are good it seems but I can not find out which I need. On the HI flo website If I put my reg number in it comes back (can not be found) or if I go through bike details .. honda, cb 1100 it comes back with cb500 for some reason.
Its times like this when I miss my local Honda dealer.

You could try bike-parts-honda.com. They seem to do the Honda oil filter.

Another, cheaper option is Sportsbikeshop.co.uk. They do the same Honda filter for €13.39 delivered, and they have them in stock.

 
Mixagon_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
No one that I can recall has mentioned any specific oil harming their engine. It seems that some feel specific oils can improve "aspects" of their engine performance. I just use Honda GN4 10W30 because Mr Ferret said so. :)
Oil filters..now that's another story :rofl:

*edit ..technically no one on this forum has reported having an engine failure because of any brand of oil filter..although one had the potential to do so.
Oil filters..now that's another story :rofl:

*edit ..technically no one on this forum has reported having an engine failure because of any brand of oil filter..although one had the potential to do so.
Oil filters :D it is another story when its impossible to find out which filter number I need. I have choice of two makes near me Champion which has poor reviews or Hiflofiltro which are good it seems but I can not find out which I need. On the HI flo website If I put my reg number in it comes back (can not be found) or if I go through bike details .. honda, cb 1100 it comes back with cb500 for some reason.
Its times like this when I miss my local Honda dealer.
You can find a poor review about absolutely anything online. I used champion as it was the handiest to pick up. Is it better or worse than an OEM filter, I haven't got a clue but it will be good enough. Enough reputable on-line sellers sell the Champion product, if it was a poor product causing problems the industry would soon highlight it and drop the thing.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Honda oil filters for our bike are used on a number of Honda products. I don’t know all of them, but for example, my CB and ST use the same filter. I think my Honda outboards use the same on too.

Mix, I didn’t look, but if you look in the fiche the CB500 an CB1100 most likely use the same filter.
(+1) Lord. The NC750X and Africa Twin Hondas also use the same oil filter.
 
Thread starter
Jfro5687_imp said:
Mixagon_imp said:
Sorry in advance :-/ I guess this has been asked lots of times but the search shows nothing to help.

What engine oil is best to use ? I'm sure I've read somewhere that some can cause an engine tick so I want to avoid those.

My handbook recommends SAE 10w-30 jaso T903 standard MA api SG or higher.

I was planning on using my usual Castrol 10w-40 semi but the above spec has made me doubt my choice. Its the first service so want to get it right.

Hi Mixagon,
I got my oil from Halfords, Castrol semi 10w/40 and yes it did make a ticking noise right down at the bottom RHS. The noise was not there before. It ran fine otherwise but seeing as you asked. I would stick to the 10w/30 TBH, I don’t think in the UK we get the higher temperatures to justify the 40 weight even though I have no doubt many have used it. Not an oil thread just my experience take it for what you will.
Thanks for that info, just ordered 4L Castrol power1 10w-30 from Amazon £29 and a hiflo filter for £6.49
Thanks for all the replies, after re checking it seems the same filter fits many bikes including non Honda.
 
Back
Top