Engine Oil Viscosity for 2014 Models

spakins_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
At 600 miles I did my 1st oil change on '14 deluxe using Honda HP4 10W-40. Every time I have rode after that oil change I heard new loud ticking noise when the bike warmed up.

Last night, I decided to drain the 10W-40 and put 10W-30 in. I have ridden the bike 3 times since then and have not heard the ticking noise once.

I noticed the 2014 owner's manual makes no mention of any other viscosity other than 10W-30.

Previous threads indicated that the 2013 shop manual indicated that 10W-40 was an option. Can anyone validate if the "2014" shop manual lists 10W-40 as an acceptable weight? Thank you

I live in Reno, NV (temps ranging from 70-95 degrees).
 
OH BOY, an oil thread! :celebrate:

This phenomenon has been discussed pretty extensively. The '13 service manual does list the 10w40 . I'm pretty sure the '14 does too, but do not have a '14 manual to verify 100%.
 
Thread starter
I know :rolleyes: ....I started this thread as a last resort. I read all the oil threads to find 2014-specific information and came up empty.

I can't be the only one who tried running 10W-40 in a '14 and was hoping someone else had this same issue.
 
I had the ticking with Amsoil 10w-40. It's understood the ticking does nothing.

I switched back to Honda 10w-30 synthetic and it's gone.
 
A few of us have had the same issue running 10W-40. The heavier weight oil creates a lower end knock in the motor. It happened to me on the first oil change, switching to 10W-30 correct the problem.
 
After reading a lot of the oil threads I think I'll just stick with Honda 10w-30 oil. I would normally go with something like as hell Rotella, but maybe not here.
 
I would add that I have used both Shell T6 Rotella 5W-40 and the Honda synthetic 10W-30 and the only difference I've seen is the cost. The Rotella is really cheap at Wally-World.
 
For some reason I can't get Ptero's listed thread to come up.

But if its that Hubris oil, STAY AWAY! He got Cormanus arrested at the rally for smuggling that stuff :D He hid it in Cormanus' luggage or something :P
 
Ferret, Its ok now. I shutdown Explorer and re-opened it and all is well! :)
 
Honda 10w-40 here and the only sound is the purr of the motor at startup. I've got Amsoil metric 10w-40 on standby.

Like many car/bike makers, the migration to lighter oils is strictly a fuel economy thing. They are both 10 weight oils at startup. but i want the 40 weight in the summer heat.
 
spakins_imp said:
At 600 miles I did my 1st oil change on '14 deluxe using Honda HP4 10W-40. Every time I have rode after that oil change I heard new loud ticking noise when the bike warmed up.

Last night, I decided to drain the 10W-40 and put 10W-30 in. I have ridden the bike 3 times since then and have not heard the ticking noise once.

I noticed the 2014 owner's manual makes no mention of any other viscosity other than 10W-30.

Previous threads indicated that the 2013 shop manual indicated that 10W-40 was an option. Can anyone validate if the "2014" shop manual lists 10W-40 as an acceptable weight? Thank you

I live in Reno, NV (temps ranging from 70-95 degrees).
For that temps range the Honda service manual suggests 10W-40, at page 3-15 of the German version of the 2013 manual.

I think, the 2013 manual is also used for the 2014. Here in Germany there exists an extension manual for the CB 1100 EX with some extra information relevant for the EX.
 
Django_imp said:
spakins_imp said:
At 600 miles I did my 1st oil change on '14 deluxe using Honda HP4 10W-40. Every time I have rode after that oil change I heard new loud ticking noise when the bike warmed up.

Last night, I decided to drain the 10W-40 and put 10W-30 in. I have ridden the bike 3 times since then and have not heard the ticking noise once.

I noticed the 2014 owner's manual makes no mention of any other viscosity other than 10W-30.

Previous threads indicated that the 2013 shop manual indicated that 10W-40 was an option. Can anyone validate if the "2014" shop manual lists 10W-40 as an acceptable weight? Thank you

I live in Reno, NV (temps ranging from 70-95 degrees).
For that temps range the Honda service manual suggests 10W-40, at page 3-15 of the German version of the 2013 manual.

I think, the 2013 manual is also used for the 2014. Here in Germany there exists an extension manual for the CB 1100 EX with some extra information relevant for the EX.
That is in line with the '10 model owners manual. But what would Honda know?

Cheers
 
The first oil change I did on my '13 I put 10W-40 in, not knowing that it was supposed to be 10W-30. The second oil change I put in 10W-30 and I haven't noticed any difference in noise either time.
 
Noise is normal. Honda confirms. 0 engine failures reported from it.

10w40 is fine. It's an air cooled motor. They make noise.
 
But xNEOx,

They won't say just what the noise is, correct?
 
drodg58_imp said:
Is anyone using synthetic?
Yes, me.

Cheers

Come on boys. Let's make this the mother-of-all-oil-threads. We can do it! But with his often rather quirky sense of humour the Ferret would lock the thread one post before the forum record. :).
 
Back
Top