Engine Oil Viscosity for 2014 Models

Pterodactyl_imp said:
Hiker, what about the chart and note on the left? Maybe that's just there for decoration? :).

Cheers
nah...that's just a Chart and a Note, certainly outweighed by the words "Recommended Engine Oil".:rofl:
sourdough44_imp said:
I don't think many of us are out riding at 20F.
Oh no...now you will start a cold weather riding thread.....with the Ferret being first to reply!
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Hiker, what about the chart and note on the left? Maybe that's just there for decoration? :).

Cheers
Put your lawyer hat on (I'm not a lawyer): "Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used....."

So, if you happen to have some 10W-40 kicking around the garage, *and* your ambient temperature is 60F or more, it's OK to use it.

But the recommended oil viscosity is 10W-30 :).
 
Townie_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Hiker, what about the chart and note on the left? Maybe that's just there for decoration? :).

Cheers
Put your lawyer hat on (I'm not a lawyer): "Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used....."

So, if you happen to have some 10W-40 kicking around the garage, *and* your ambient temperature is 60F or more, it's OK to use it.

But the recommended oil viscosity is 10W-30 :).
Put your lawyer hat on (I'm not a lawyer): "Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used....."

So, if you happen to have some 10W-40 kicking around the garage, *and* your ambient temperature is 60F or more, it's OK to use it.

But the recommended oil viscosity is 10W-30 :).
Ding, ding, ding....winner...lock thread!
 
No, no. No locks please. This might be the "Mother-of-all-Oil-Threads". Let's not drop the ball after only 5 pages. I'm prepared to put in the hard yards to achieve the MOAOT.

As far as oil viscosity is concerned, where I live you can use both grades with confidence. Of course I use Omni-grade, but that has been discussed elsewhere. My engine has done 55000kms and runs beautifully. However, if I am lucky enough to get to 100,000kms I am sure there will be an oil thread running that I can report to. :)

Cheers
 
Whilst recently out of the country a wise traditional elder put me on to a new lubricant I'm sure Perodactly will be familiar with it 100% Bio Hubris. Sure to get 200'000 before you need to check the valve clearance if you use it is also known to improve fuel and tyre mileage . A drop once every six months will prevent UV damage to your RLET's. I could mention the exhaust but I've taken the pledge.

Cheers
PS missed the sight of the OMEGA tower Sunday afternoon . A fallen Giant of the Cold War
 
Townie_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Hiker, what about the chart and note on the left? Maybe that's just there for decoration? :).

Cheers
Put your lawyer hat on (I'm not a lawyer): "Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used....."

So, if you happen to have some 10W-40 kicking around the garage, *and* your ambient temperature is 60F or more, it's OK to use it.

But the recommended oil viscosity is 10W-30 :).
You know, this was translated from Japanese. Asians are well known for their very friendly manner, to suggest things, even they are important to follow...

I would say, the temperature scale at the right says it all.
 
Anyone use 10w 50. I accidently bought 10w 50 today, didnt do the oil change yet. Ive been using 40 with no issues. What exactly is the 50 intended for as compared to 40 weight. Its Castrol T4 full syn.
 
So what is 10w50 for? Harleys? or Tractors :P
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
So what is 10w50 for? Harleys? or Tractors :P
Yea, if it was the V twin oil but i was asking about the 10w 50 Castrol T4 for inline four cylinder engins not V twin. I saw they are using the 50 weight in the Triumph forum which are triples so who knows.
 
Back
Top