Engine guards

rotor

Been there
Thread starter
Just finished installing Engine Guards (Honda p/n 08P70-MGC-JB0) on the Canadian 2016 CB1100AG. Perfect fit. While at it, also replaced plastic chain guard with a metal one, mostly for ease of cleaning.
 
Thread starter
I've been informed Santa still on his way...:celebrate: (It seems these days Santa is operating just like any other on-line retail outlet: orders consisting of multiple items may be shipped from different locations - some from the North Pole, and some from the South Pole?)

Once the dust settles, there will be a complete illustrated report.
 
Looking forward to pics of the install, Rotor. I recall that metallyguitarded powder coated his Honda guards black to blend with the frame. Are you considering doing that?
 
Thread starter
Peeking under the kimono (actually, the dust blanket) - just enough to see the chrome additions. Hope for a better picture at some future junction; not when the dust settles, but when the snow and ice melts...:


EmptySea_imp said:
Looking forward to pics of the install, Rotor. I recall that metallyguitarded powder coated his Honda guards black to blend with the frame. Are you considering doing that?
I was thorn between the two, and opted for chrome. I'm not one of those that believe there is never enough chrome on a motorcycle, but I do believe these two items (chain guard especially) do look good in chrome and will be easier to keep clean. Possible visual improvement - or lack thereof - we'll all be able to judge that just as soon as the ice melts and I can post some "early spring in Western Canada" pictures. You know, robins, crocuses and motorcycles...
 
I agree that the Honda guard does look great, but
the engineer in me says the SW Motech did a better job at maximizing protection than Honda.
 
Thread starter
The A-man_imp said:
I really like the chrome chain guard. Can you share where you got it, who makes it? Thanks in advance.
Samurider, make: PLOT, Chain guard, chrome: CB1100 (plot0001)
 
jedd_imp said:
I agree that the Honda guard does look great, but
the engineer in me says the SW Motech did a better job at maximizing protection than Honda.
I tested a set of Honda engine guards in 1983. If these guards are as well-made as those were, there's no worry on that count.

I had those on my 2013 Standard and they did give me an extra feeling of confidence, mostly that they would not scrape before the pegs. They looked good and fit perfectly.
 
I agree, the OEM Honda engine guards are well-made. During March 2017, I side off a road on sand and gravel. The right side of my 2014 CB11 standard was damaged. In my opinion, the engine guards protected my engine and cases quite well. Maybe some would feel that the scratches on the case/cover and engine fins are not acceptable, but the engine was still functional. I drove the CB away from the crash site. The case/cover could have been replaced if the insurance company did not total my CB).
92e339d27d291ad4e6a4ecf9475d8ba8.jpg
 
Thread starter
suhawk305_imp said:
I agree, the OEM Honda engine guards are well-made. During March 2017, I side off a road on sand and gravel. The right side of my 2014 CB11 standard was damaged. In my opinion, the engine guards protected my engine and cases quite well. Maybe some would feel that the scratches on the case/cover and engine fins are not acceptable, but the engine was still functional. I drove the CB away from the crash site. The case/cover could have been replaced if the insurance company did not total my CB).
92e339d27d291ad4e6a4ecf9475d8ba8.jpg
Those that consider long-distance touring the best part of owning and riding a motorcycle have a deep appreciation for any feature or device that makes it more likely they will return home on the same vehicle they left on, even after a non-catastrophic crash. This, to me, was the primary reason for adding the weight of the engine guards to a motorcycle that is already just shy of (for me) maximum acceptable weight.
 
^+1 I was not interested in engine guards when I viewed them in terms of their cost versus the cost of the parts they protect. Then I got to thinking about the possibility of a minor drop becoming a major inconvenience in the middle of a 2000 mile trip. My pre-owned SW Motech bars will probably go on this weekend, if I have time.
 
Wow, I missed this. Why did they total the bike? What else was dinged?

I just bought a totaled 2014 CB1100 but it's not going to take the much to get her stock again (it's quite rideable now).
 
Love the underneath pictures.:hello:
 
Back
Top