Engine Guards and Bar Ends

Geez, MG that's a teaser of ever I saw one. Elaborate!

The bike looks great. I like the black guards and the way they disappear.

I also like the grab bar. Does Mrs MG find it increases her riding pleasure? I recall an earlier photo of the two of you and her concern that she may well slide off.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Geez, MG that's a teaser of ever I saw one. Elaborate!

The bike looks great. I like the black guards and the way they disappear.

I also like the grab bar. Does Mrs MG find it increases her riding pleasure? I recall an earlier photo of the two of you and her concern that she may well slide off.
That's a story that will take some time. But I'll come back to it because it's somewhat amusing. It wasn't at the time, of course, but looking back, it gave me an interesting tale to tell. Let me give you a bit more of a teaser ... as the knife was being thrust at my heart, I dodged to the right. The blade sliced open my left tricep and left me with a permanent reminder of the day.

Thanks for the comments on the CB! It's funny, Mrs. MG seemed so happy to have the grab bar. I surprised her by not saying anything about it until I had it installed. She smiled and thanked me when she saw it. She even agreed to go on a ride with me - something that hadn't occurred since our marathon ride up to Los Angeles and back. This time we rode to a nearby restaurant, had lunch and came home. She told me that the ride was so much more comfortable and that she really enjoyed it. Thing is, she didn't use the grab bar at all! Haha. Still, I like it and will keep it on there. I'm certain she'll use it from time to time. It also provides me with convenient tie down spots for my cargo net.

I put some shelving up yesterday in the house (still haven't gotten around to doing it in the garage for my helmets) and we put up the panoramic photo from our LA ride:

 
Give me more! I'm still not satisfied!
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Give me more! I'm still not satisfied!
I will refrain from the obvious response but nice try Cormanus. Nice try.

In keeping with the forum's goal of having our posts be CB and/or motorcycle related, I will write my stabbing story but send it to you in a private message.

Hey, I know! I'll take some creative license with the truth and add in a police chase! On motorcycles! With the perp riding a red DLX. If only he had chosen the lighter, faster black standard, he might have gotten away...
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Give me more! I'm still not satisfied!
I will refrain from the obvious response but nice try Cormanus. Nice try.

In keeping with the forum's goal of having our posts be CB and/or motorcycle related, I will write my stabbing story but send it to you in a private message.

Hey, I know! I'll take some creative license with the truth and add in a police chase! On motorcycles! With the perp riding a red DLX. If only he had chosen the lighter, faster black standard, he might have gotten away...
I will refrain from the obvious response but nice try Cormanus. Nice try.

In keeping with the forum's goal of having our posts be CB and/or motorcycle related, I will write my stabbing story but send it to you in a private message.

Hey, I know! I'll take some creative license with the truth and add in a police chase! On motorcycles! With the perp riding a red DLX. If only he had chosen the lighter, faster black standard, he might have gotten away...
I know that's right.
I see maybe why your Mrs. did not use the grab bar. Do you see it too? Black is a great color for motorcycles. I have a black motorcycle. I love the color. But I know black is a bad color for anything you have to touch in the Southern summer sun. Matter of fact, I am thinking seriously about how I can keep the sun off my black seat, perhaps carry a white towel, ride only at night, never leave the seat or even order a seat in a light grey because this southern sun gets to cooking everything, in just a minute or two, even Honda oil in a cold engine. Yup, another oil thread, presto like.
 
I saw these engine guards on line and wonder if anyone has had any experience with the guards or the vendor. I just got my bike yesterday so I am a little late to the dance. The Hurricanes are inexpensive and black but may stick out too much. It appears that highway pegs would clamp on easily, however.

Thank you

HURRICANE : Engine Guard [HA7570B]
 
Thread starter
geosar_imp said:
I saw these engine guards on line and wonder if anyone has had any experience with the guards or the vendor. I just got my bike yesterday so I am a little late to the dance. The Hurricanes are inexpensive and black but may stick out too much. It appears that highway pegs would clamp on easily, however.

Thank you

HURRICANE : Engine Guard [HA7570B]
I just responded to your post on EmptySea's thread. Welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, pop over to the new members section and give us an intro and put up some pics of your CB. We're suckers for pics.
 
Geosar,
The vendor is reputable. But they don't speak English and their Google translator can be hilarious.

You might try our very own board sponsor, Mr. T (Takashi Takase) at Samurider.com Best customer service ever and he speaks English very very well.
 
I think I may go for these guards. I think that I want them black, too, even though I have a red bike....they just look more like they're part of the frame. So, how much does powder coating cost?
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I think I may go for these guards. I think that I want them black, too, even though I have a red bike....they just look more like they're part of the frame. So, how much does powder coating cost?
I vaguely remember someone from Chicago with a red CB saying something to the effect of, "I hate engine guards. I hate powder coating." I just can't remember who exactly it was. Oh well...

My guy charged me $75 for a flat black with a clear coat on top. He recommended the clear coat for extra protection plus it would give me the shine I was going for. Supposedly, the $75 was a discount because I've used him several times.

I initially found them through Yelp and they were more expensive than some of the other coaters in town but had the best reviews. Good luck!
 
For the record, that person if that person from Chicago said "I hate powder coating", I'm quite sure it was in the context of a pseudo-curmudgeonly rant that was in jest. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that the same person was sincere in saying that he hated engine guards, but my best guess is that he was impressed by the unobtrusive nature of the Honda guards, especially when painted to match the frame. Of course, I could be wrong because the Chicago guy I'm thinking of is kind of a fickle d-bag whose opinions on anything are practically worthless.

Thanks for the information on the cost of powder-coating. I was worried that it would be $200...almost anything I seem to do on this bike is at least $200 (except for the RLETs). $75 or even a bit more will work out fine.
 
Black engine guards are the way to go IMO, better looking particularly if you can get a black exhaust fitted, and ideally get some high temperature black paint on your manifold. I have the chrome versions which I've been told won't paint very well at all - it will just flake off I was told.

A lot of people don't like to paint the exhaust either for similar reasons. My problem with the exhaust is that it just about catches the top of a ramp as I enter my house unless I'm super careful. I'll just have to remain super careful (i.e, slow) going up and down the ramp then. I don't want to adjust the communal ramp or my bike after all.
 
Thread starter
simplest2remember_imp said:
Black engine guards are the way to go IMO, better looking particularly if you can get a black exhaust fitted, and ideally get some high temperature black paint on your manifold. I have the chrome versions which I've been told won't paint very well at all - it will just flake off I was told.

A lot of people don't like to paint the exhaust either for similar reasons. My problem with the exhaust is that it just about catches the top of a ramp as I enter my house unless I'm super careful. I'll just have to remain super careful (i.e, slow) going up and down the ramp then. I don't want to adjust the communal ramp or my bike after all.
No doubt there are differences in quality for both paint and powder coating with the risk of flaking existing in both. Quality of paint/powder, method of application, curing, skill, all factor in to how well you can expect your coating to last. I've had very positive experiences with powder coating and its durability on the wheels of my VFR and the aluminum cowl and engine guards on the CB. I've had a clear coat added each time for additional protection. No hint of flaking so far.
 
Back
Top