End the Black Wheel Tyranny: Free the Motos!

Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Let's just not return to the white wheels of the early '90s. I can't think of anything harder to keep clean. Except wire wheels.
mvk24_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Everything that is old becomes new again. In my college days, I drove poverty cars like Tercels and Corollas, with unpainted black plastic bumpers, mirrors and door handles. Once I curbed the wheels, the plastic hubcaps shattered, and I had black wheels.

Now, a "blackout package" on a car is a premium and exclusive feature. My friend's new Kia something-or-other is white, with painted black door handles, mirrors and wheels.

I look at a bike as a whole package. I have a 2012 Bonneville "Black edition", with black paint, frame and engine. The wheels and exhaust are still chrome, which I like. The following year or so, the Black Edition added black wheels and exhaust. That's too much black for me. But, I could see liking it if the bodywork were a different color to break up all of the black a bit.
I do think it's hard to compare Corolla steel rims with something like the Black Alloys on the new Subaru Forester Sports.

Theres an obvious difference in quality of a black wheel haha

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
Very true on both counts!
 
cj599_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Yeah that's the issue. The axle size and all corresponding hardware changed from 13 to 14, so the wheels are not interchangeable.

Why not just strip the black paint off of your existing wheels and repaint them?


Whats too say the bearing dia innthe wheel isnt the same ? I have cbr 900 rear wheel and a cbr600 f3 wheel onnmy 599 both wheels had diff size axles i used bearings and spacers for the 599 i bet the 1100 is the same way
Also its not impossible to measure and fit correct bearings for your axle
My plan is too chrome a set of 1100 wheels their easy too keep clean


Whats too say the bearing dia innthe wheel isnt the same ? I have cbr 900 rear wheel and a cbr600 f3 wheel onnmy 599 both wheels had diff size axles i used bearings and spacers for the 599 i bet the 1100 is the same way
Also its not impossible to measure and fit correct bearings for your axle
My plan is too chrome a set of 1100 wheels their easy too keep clean


after researching i am correcting what i said they do not make a 20x47x12 bearing thats sealed to convert the rear '13 too a '14 size you would have to swap axle and possibly swing arm
but i will still chrome a set of 14 wheels
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
tj_gee_imp said:
I really want to grab the silver wheels off of a '14 Deluxe to replace the black ones on my '13, but I think I read somewhere here that they aren't compatible.
I know exactly how you feel , I did not like the "black" wheels on my 2013 and even bought all silver wheels for that bike from Samurider but when my 2014 DLX came with all silver wheels I never installed the silver wheels on the 2013 and they are still in the box!
We all want to see these, Houtman! :clap:
 
Stichill_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
tj_gee_imp said:
I really want to grab the silver wheels off of a '14 Deluxe to replace the black ones on my '13, but I think I read somewhere here that they aren't compatible.
I know exactly how you feel , I did not like the "black" wheels on my 2013 and even bought all silver wheels for that bike from Samurider but when my 2014 DLX came with all silver wheels I never installed the silver wheels on the 2013 and they are still in the box!
We all want to see these, Houtman! :clap:
We all want to see these, Houtman! :clap:
We still do not know how to post pictures !
 
Houtman_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
tj_gee_imp said:
I really want to grab the silver wheels off of a '14 Deluxe to replace the black ones on my '13, but I think I read somewhere here that they aren't compatible.
I know exactly how you feel , I did not like the "black" wheels on my 2013 and even bought all silver wheels for that bike from Samurider but when my 2014 DLX came with all silver wheels I never installed the silver wheels on the 2013 and they are still in the box!
We all want to see these, Houtman! :clap:
We all want to see these, Houtman! :clap:
We still do not know how to post pictures !
The usual deal is still available. :D
 
I have the best of both worlds, I believe my wheels are silver, but they look black.
 
You might have to wait. He washed it recently.
 
Thread starter
I would be an interesting idea to create a wheel color called "Road Dirt" for those having no interest in cleaning their wheels.
 
Stichill_imp said:
I would be an interesting idea to create a wheel color called "Road Dirt" for those having no interest in cleaning their wheels.
Hence matte black wheels. They look the same if you clean them or not.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
I would be an interesting idea to create a wheel color called "Road Dirt" for those having no interest in cleaning their wheels.
Hence matte black wheels. They look the same if you clean them or not.
Hence matte black wheels. They look the same if you clean them or not.
Yeah, and that's not good. :)

Actually, dirty black wheels still look dirty to me. A "good" black wheel should be clean and shiny.
 
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
Very true, Cormanus. Actual road dirt (depending on what kind of soil is in your area) tends to be medium-light gray. I have a Mazda hatchback in that color, and the only difference between clean and dirty is whether or not it is shiny.

Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
I can't remember if it was on this forum, but I've been involved in discussions regarding the concept of a "beater" bike. A bike that is mechanically sound, but gets no love cosmetically. (ferret? :shy: )
 
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
Very true, Cormanus. Actual road dirt (depending on what kind of soil is in your area) tends to be medium-light gray. I have a Mazda hatchback in that color, and the only difference between clean and dirty is whether or not it is shiny.

Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
I can't remember if it was on this forum, but I've been involved in discussions regarding the concept of a "beater" bike. A bike that is mechanically sound, but gets no love cosmetically. (ferret? :shy: )
Very true, Cormanus. Actual road dirt (depending on what kind of soil is in your area) tends to be medium-light gray. I have a Mazda hatchback in that color, and the only difference between clean and dirty is whether or not it is shiny.

Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
I can't remember if it was on this forum, but I've been involved in discussions regarding the concept of a "beater" bike. A bike that is mechanically sound, but gets no love cosmetically. (ferret? :shy: )
My beater "bike" is a PCX150 scooter. It purposely sits outside uncovered so that it is convenient to jump on, almost never washed (seldom rains here) Still looks good, not crashed. Has 42k miles on it, still runs strong. I've carried a lawnmower and an E2000i Honda generator on it, but not at the same time.
 
There was conversation here about "beater" bikes. I'll try to find a link.

EDIT: No wonder you remember it, Stichill. You started it. Ideal Beater Bike
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Stichill_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
Very true, Cormanus. Actual road dirt (depending on what kind of soil is in your area) tends to be medium-light gray. I have a Mazda hatchback in that color, and the only difference between clean and dirty is whether or not it is shiny.

Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
I can't remember if it was on this forum, but I've been involved in discussions regarding the concept of a "beater" bike. A bike that is mechanically sound, but gets no love cosmetically. (ferret? :shy: )
Very true, Cormanus. Actual road dirt (depending on what kind of soil is in your area) tends to be medium-light gray. I have a Mazda hatchback in that color, and the only difference between clean and dirty is whether or not it is shiny.

Cormanus_imp said:
It's a curious thing that, in a general sense, black cars show the dirt much more than their white counterparts. I've not had black rims, so I don't know, although accumulated road grime and flung chain oil give the rear wheel of my CB an interesting patina. A bit like the Ferret's I suspect.

I'll have a rattle can of your "Road Dirt" when it becomes available, Stichill. I'll apply it carelessly then store it in the shed next to the Hubris Omnigrade motorcycle oil.
I can't remember if it was on this forum, but I've been involved in discussions regarding the concept of a "beater" bike. A bike that is mechanically sound, but gets no love cosmetically. (ferret? :shy: )
My beater "bike" is a PCX150 scooter. It purposely sits outside uncovered so that it is convenient to jump on, almost never washed (seldom rains here) Still looks good, not crashed. Has 42k miles on it, still runs strong. I've carried a lawnmower and an E2000i Honda generator on it, but not at the same time.
The Honda PCX150 is arguably the world's best scooter.
 
Back
Top