EmptySea's Fall Trip 10/8 - 10/18/2016 IL, IN, OH, VA, WV, KY

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
2 Goldwings, 1 F6B, 1 K1600, 1 CB1100, 0 CTX

We'll be heading out on our 2016 big trip on October 8th (good thing that I finally finished my report of our 2015 trip). The usual band of ragtags sans my still-recovering wife are going to check out the fall colors in West Virginia. This is my friend Mike A's trip and it looks like a good one, especially because it includes an afternoon of riding with The Ferret.

I thought I'd put out our itinerary in case any CB riders will be in the vicinity and might like to meet for a ride or a meal or something.

DAY 1 – Saturday 10.08.16: From Chicago TO Marysvill, OH via US30 and US33


DAY 2 – Sunday 10.09.2016: MARYSVILLE, OH TO ELKINS, WV

DAY 3 – Monday 10.10.2016: Loop Route from Elkins through Parsons, Thomas, part of Maryland, and Seneca Rocks.

DAY 4 – Tuesday 10.11.2016: Elkins to Marlinton, WV via US219 and Highland Scenic Highway

DAY 5 – Wednesday 10.12.2016: Exploration loop into Virginia through Snowshoe Ski Area

DAY 6 – Thursday 10.13.2016: Marlinton to Charleston, WV

DAY 7 – Friday 10.14.2016: Charleston to Cincinnati via some route that The Ferret will come up with.

DAY 8 – Saturday 10.15.2016: Cincinnati to Columbus, IN via roads in and around Hoosier State Forest.

DAY 9 – Sunday 10.16.2016: Columbus, IN to Chicago via US45
 
Sea you are going to have a great trip. I have ridden in all those areas of West Virginia, Va, and they are spectacular both in roads and in scenery. Once we meet up in eastern Ohio by the river I will try and come up with an imaginitive way to get you to Cinti. I have some great routes planned with a stop at the steak house Ribbers for lunch and a stop at the Portsmouth Mural wall.

Your trip should be epic. mike made some great plans for you.
 
Sounds like a great ride. Snowshoe is one of the ski resorts owned by the company I work for. It's beautiful in those parts but it'd be a terrible place to break down!
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Sounds like a great ride. Snowshoe is one of the ski resorts owned by the company I work for. It's beautiful in those parts but it'd be a terrible place to break down!
I'll relay this information to our BMW rider. ;)
 
Sounds like a great trip! Don't forget to stop by as you pass through Oregon : )
 
Thread starter
Growing a little nervous about Hurricane Matthew spoiling our trip. Watching the National Hurricane Center's website for updates and hoping that it starts to track to the east. We will see.
 
Thread starter
It's never too late to re-route. It's probably a couple days too early to commit to the re-route, though. If we wind up with just a wet Sunday, it will still be better than it was last year when Hurricane Bill chased us out of Arkansas. Time will tell -- Maybe we'll spend more time in KY and TN instead of WV.
 
Good luck with the weather EmptySea.
 
Thread starter
US33 from Ripley, WV to Elkins, WV: one of the best motorcycling roads east of the Mississippi?

Discuss.
 
Great road, but you haven't seen anything yet. West Virginia is one awesome place to ride. I saw on my phone this afternoon you were on 33 near Spencerville. I again rode some of the route I'm going to take you guys on. great route.

Have fun, stay safe.
 
Bet its a bit nippy on MTC's morning ride. In the 30s this morning down there Brrr
 
West Virginia is a fantastic area to ride motorcycles; great roads and plenty of small towns with gas and diners (2 for 1 stop) and the ski resorts are frequently inexpensive places to spend the night. Great state parks with lodging and food too.

Hate to choose just one road but for the east coast if I just have one state West Virginia is definitely in the mix.
 
Well today it looks like they visited Seneca Rocks which is a really cool place.

Tomorrow ( Tuesday) they are headed down 219 past Snowshoe to Highland Scenic Highway. A great ride. Cant wait to hear and read MTC's report.
 
Thread starter
Cold delayed our start and will today as well. Monday was US219 and others to Seneca Rocks. It would be hard to describe the euphoria that came over me along these roads, but I will do my best to do so soon. In the meantime, I'll leave it at this: we took 7 hours to ride about 150 miles and enjoyed every orange, red, gold, green and yellow-colored minute of it.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great place to ride isn't it Sea?
 
Back
Top