Emgo fairing

capttwb136_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So, did anyone ever get one of those Emgo fairings that were mentioned here a few weeks back? If you did, did it come with mounting hardware? I've seen them on ebay real cheap, I ordered one and it came with no mounting hardware or instructions. I won't be putting it on until next spring, but I was wondering how to make a bracket for the bottom mount. If I could see a bracket it would really help.
 
Don't these type of fairings just normally have forked brackets attached which slide under the bolts for the headlight bucket? dOes this fairing not have those?
 
I bought one years ago for a Bonnie, and it came with a few bent and drilled brackets that looked like they were banged out in a Chinese forced labor camp, utterly useless. I made a few brackets, mounted it, but I didn't dig the look on that particular bike. I adorns my garage wall now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Don't these type of fairings just normally have forked brackets attached which slide under the bolts for the headlight bucket? dOes this fairing not have those?
No, no brackets of any kind. Or instructions what so ever.
 
capttwb136_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Don't these type of fairings just normally have forked brackets attached which slide under the bolts for the headlight bucket? dOes this fairing not have those?
No, no brackets of any kind. Or instructions what so ever.
No, no brackets of any kind. Or instructions what so ever.
There are two screws that go into the headlight and you will need to 'hog out' a little for the the headlight screws to go in and you will need to remove a tiny bit of material where the turn signals are. It's a very small amount. Use a dremel if you have one. There exists a hole in the bottom front of the fairing to connect a bracket to the horn brace but you'll have to fabricate one or get a small L bracket from your favorite hardware store. I didn't put a brace on the bottom but I probably will this summer. It works fine without one. As far as the sturdiness of the the fairing, it seems fine to me. I'm liking it for under $60.
 
That L bracket would be extremely easy to make. The Road Comet comes with one and it does stiffen up the cowl and holds it so it doesn't want to rotate any around the headlight bolts. That's been my experience anyway.

Capt., in case you didn't know, the L bracket fits on the stud for the horn bracket mounts. Basically, remove the nut, install the L bracket and put the nut back on. Bolt cowl to the other end. Yours should be pretty much the same. If you need a pic, I have my RC off for the winter, but the L bracket is still installed (I have a Street Shield EX on for cool/cold weather. Unlike Ferret, I'm a wimp. :)
 
I installed one on my '14 Std around 5 months ago. Just used the headlight bolts and then some strip insulation with self adhesive on top of my gauges and horn to deal with rubbing & noise. As mentioned above, I did have to trim it. I used a jig saw & taped the area I was cutting.
 
Thread starter
Thanks fella's. So as I understand I'll use the two screws that currently hold the headlight onto the headlight brackets, but first I have to make the holes in the fairing a little bigger. Also fabricate a bracket to attach it to the horn bracket. I also have to trim a little off the fairing with a dremel tool where the fairing fits up to the turn signals. Is this about right?

Popgun, if you could snap a picture of the bracket you have attached to your horn bracket I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks again fella's, I love this forum!:clap:
 
Bought 1/2 pints of the base and red color and had a local paint/body shop paint it. As part of their cost they supplied the clear coat. Had to cut the fairing a little and get some replacement bolts and fat spacers so there was some effort in getting it done and the cost ended up being close to buying one from Japan. I wanted the screen to be clear but it's so low I wouldn't tuck under it so it doesn't matter.
 
Thread starter
hb9400_imp said:
Bought 1/2 pints of the base and red color and had a local paint/body shop paint it. As part of their cost they supplied the clear coat. Had to cut the fairing a little and get some replacement bolts and fat spacers so there was some effort in getting it done and the cost ended up being close to buying one from Japan. I wanted the screen to be clear but it's so low I wouldn't tuck under it so it doesn't matter.
Really looks good! Paint job is super!:beerchug:
 
As an alternative, Maier makes a pretty nice bikini fairing that might look a tittle smoother on a CB...

https://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/large-sport-fairing-round-headlight

These universal fairings can be used on MOST standards with a 7" headlight. I have used them several times on KZs and they look pretty nice. As with most fairings of this sort, they are not particularly effective as far as wind blast direction/control. This is the fairing paint matched to a 76 KZ900 I owned a couiple years ago.


[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/wiredgeorge/media/KZ900/MVC-682F_zps88caf52c.jpg.html]
 
Back
Top