Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Interesting!The ferret_imp said:Yea that could be critical information.
Remove it and go for a ride.
I can tell you that when I worked in the industry 30 years ago, there were some complaints about wobble on Gold Wings here in the USA. Honda attributed it to luggage racks and top cases and their fix was to affix this huge weight to the front of the steering head (maybe a loaded topcase unweights the front end?). I also know that Honda does not offer ST top cases in the US... but many members buy them from overseas. Maybe on some bikes the balance point is finely figured and changes to one end affects the other end?
aha!CIP57_imp said:With the front faring your down pressure on the front causes the rear to get light @ speed, the top case would increase wobble. Take it off and make sure that your screen is the same angle ( very important) as your front forks. The larger screens will cause side wind pressure, be careful with larger screens over 100MPH
I've had my CB up to 140+ with a cut down shield with no wobble or head shake. The screen helped stability.

leepy
actually, I did not felt a big difference in buffeting with that top case on, in the contrary I had the impression there was a bit less buffeting, especially from my back.the_undecider_imp said:I'm willing to bet it's the huge top case. Empty or loaded, it will have an adverse affect on high speed stability. Extra weight on the back will lighten up the front end. Also, the air currents coming around the front of the bike and your torso will catch that top case and create either wind buffeting or could but pushing down on the top case somewhat like a spoiler on a car. I also don't think you can rule out the fairing creating lift on the front end. The reason sport bikes have such a pointed nose is to help create down force up front. Same goes for the ugly beaks on adventure bikes. The Road Comet is somewhat blunt in profile, so it might be lifting the front of the bike.

Riko_imp said:Interesting!The ferret_imp said:Yea that could be critical information.
Remove it and go for a ride.
I can tell you that when I worked in the industry 30 years ago, there were some complaints about wobble on Gold Wings here in the USA. Honda attributed it to luggage racks and top cases and their fix was to affix this huge weight to the front of the steering head (maybe a loaded topcase unweights the front end?). I also know that Honda does not offer ST top cases in the US... but many members buy them from overseas. Maybe on some bikes the balance point is finely figured and changes to one end affects the other end?
ST, meaning the Pan Am I assume?
aha!CIP57_imp said:With the front faring your down pressure on the front causes the rear to get light @ speed, the top case would increase wobble. Take it off and make sure that your screen is the same angle ( very important) as your front forks. The larger screens will cause side wind pressure, be careful with larger screens over 100MPH
I've had my CB up to 140+ with a cut down shield with no wobble or head shake. The screen helped stability.
1 problem, I have the Road Comet I faring with the larger than stock touring screen, called Aero screen.
I cannot change anything on the fairing or on the screen. :-/
But, I do plan to get the stock size screen wich should improve the wind noise....(and perhaps the wobbling at those speeds, not that I would ride so hard all the time, wrong bike and I dont really care, it was just to testleepy
actually, I did not felt a big difference in buffeting with that top case on, in the contrary I had the impression there was a bit less buffeting, especially from my back.the_undecider_imp said:I'm willing to bet it's the huge top case. Empty or loaded, it will have an adverse affect on high speed stability. Extra weight on the back will lighten up the front end. Also, the air currents coming around the front of the bike and your torso will catch that top case and create either wind buffeting or could but pushing down on the top case somewhat like a spoiler on a car. I also don't think you can rule out the fairing creating lift on the front end. The reason sport bikes have such a pointed nose is to help create down force up front. Same goes for the ugly beaks on adventure bikes. The Road Comet is somewhat blunt in profile, so it might be lifting the front of the bike.
Does that sound valid? :huh:
I also wonder how come on my Burgman 650 with topcase, I never experienced wobbling and it was really riding on rails at its topspeed of 107 mph...something to do with the layout?
The topcase on a burgman sits much higher than on a CB and it has sa HUGE windscreen.
They both weigh more or less the same too...260kg wet for the CB and 279 for the scooter![]()
lol and i said Pan Am :dodgy: of course I meant Pan European.Lord Popgun_imp said:ST is the ST1300 or the Pan European
indeed, if i had place and cash immediately available I would still keep that scooterjedd_imp said:I also owned a Burg 650 w/ an E55 Givi. Can honestly say that the Burg 650 is in a class all by itself. Aerodynamics (as well as that amazing e-cvt) is class leading, w/ or w/o top case. It's got all that tupperware on it, which cuts through the air w/ hardly any turbulence.
Do you have spoke wheels? If so, you may want to just double check that the rim is concentric, even though yours' still brand new. The spokes can/do stretch after break in, so they need to be tweaked every now and then to keep them true, even if you never hit a pothole.
Easy to do: Raise wheel off ground, use dial micrometer, contact pointer against inside surface of rim, rotate, and see how much the dial moves.
Dial indicator, dial micrometer...



Meaning I asked that question tooRiko_imp said:I had the fork boots intalled, and I stood by the mechanic and he had an expensive torque wrench and all is in spec
So there is nothing wrong with torque settings in the forks or tripple tree.
Twisted chassis, hmm I doubt the issue is that extreme Pterodactyl.
I should actually let somebody ride my CB that has also a CB and tell me that its normal what I perceive as a wobbling handle bar.
I'll ask asap 2 fellow countrymen what their experience is with high speed riding.
Head bearing torque I have not checked yet...I dont even know the torque setting, so if somebody could tell me that I can check that out, meanwhile I can do a search on the board.
I suspect the crosswinds, or me being extremely nitpicking.
But if you all say no wobble at all, thats clear and leaves no room for interpretation....
Than again, have those who say that ever ridden at those speeds with a lot of crosswinds??
But lol trading in, you guys really go for a worst case scenario huh
hm hm, that shines another perspective with more details concernikng my small issue.redbirds_imp said:Running at an indicated 90 mph on the super slab a while back, I experienced some front end wobble when approaching semi's. This wobble would stop when I cleared the turbulent air behind the trucks. This was with my Puig screen installed. Had not felt this wobble when in similar situations sans screen.
With or without screen, does make a difference and you talk about turbulence as well, similar to my windy conditions.
lol, what do you mean exactly with "keep that grip loose" ?soulmachine_imp said:How's that grip on the bars at higher speed?
Keep that grip loose and I'll guarantee those wobbles go away...
at high speed?
shouldnt you be holding your grips firmer than ever as you increase speed :dodgy:
aha, I don't seem to be the only one here
High-speed stability off our CB1100
I realize now that there are 2 kinda big weights sitting on the front around each spoke, maybe its an issue of tire balance as well.
Are spoked wheels more sensitive to changes in balance, (since they need adjustment from time to time)?



Riko, this is a bit harsh. Some members read the forum on mobile device using software like Tapatalk which doesn't display forum signatures.Riko_imp said:indeed, if i had place and cash immediately available I would still keep that scooterjedd_imp said:I also owned a Burg 650 w/ an E55 Givi. Can honestly say that the Burg 650 is in a class all by itself. Aerodynamics (as well as that amazing e-cvt) is class leading, w/ or w/o top case. It's got all that tupperware on it, which cuts through the air w/ hardly any turbulence.
Do you have spoke wheels? If so, you may want to just double check that the rim is concentric, even though yours' still brand new. The spokes can/do stretch after break in, so they need to be tweaked every now and then to keep them true, even if you never hit a pothole.
Easy to do: Raise wheel off ground, use dial micrometer, contact pointer against inside surface of rim, rotate, and see how much the dial moves.
Dial indicator, dial micrometer...
Do I have spokes??
Do members even watch the signatures of other members??????
The link doesnt work btw.
lol, it seems members also dont read the whole thread huh
Meaning I asked that question tooRiko_imp said:I had the fork boots intalled, and I stood by the mechanic and he had an expensive torque wrench and all is in spec
So there is nothing wrong with torque settings in the forks or tripple tree.
Twisted chassis, hmm I doubt the issue is that extreme Pterodactyl.
I should actually let somebody ride my CB that has also a CB and tell me that its normal what I perceive as a wobbling handle bar.
I'll ask asap 2 fellow countrymen what their experience is with high speed riding.
Head bearing torque I have not checked yet...I dont even know the torque setting, so if somebody could tell me that I can check that out, meanwhile I can do a search on the board.
I suspect the crosswinds, or me being extremely nitpicking.
But if you all say no wobble at all, thats clear and leaves no room for interpretation....
Than again, have those who say that ever ridden at those speeds with a lot of crosswinds??
But lol trading in, you guys really go for a worst case scenario huh
hm hm, that shines another perspective with more details concernikng my small issue.redbirds_imp said:Running at an indicated 90 mph on the super slab a while back, I experienced some front end wobble when approaching semi's. This wobble would stop when I cleared the turbulent air behind the trucks. This was with my Puig screen installed. Had not felt this wobble when in similar situations sans screen.
With or without screen, does make a difference and you talk about turbulence as well, similar to my windy conditions.
lol, what do you mean exactly with "keep that grip loose" ?soulmachine_imp said:How's that grip on the bars at higher speed?
Keep that grip loose and I'll guarantee those wobbles go away...
at high speed?
shouldnt you be holding your grips firmer than ever as you increase speed :dodgy:
aha, I don't seem to be the only one here
High-speed stability off our CB1100
I realize now that there are 2 kinda big weights sitting on the front around each spoke, maybe its an issue of tire balance as well.
Are spoked wheels more sensitive to changes in balance, (since they need adjustment from time to time)?
My mechanic will know what to do when I come in![]()


