Electrical Output?

That looks like a good idea. If you load down the electrical system to much the voltage is going to drop. I really like that it has different colored LEDs to indicate different voltage ranges. You could just glance at it and know how your doing. Seems like it would be real intuitive.
 
When I first heard of it I was not impressed; but you know, as you get older and your prescription changes on your glasses; what you can see well far away look like crap up close. Like fine meters. Besides, with todays texting drivers and such, if you can get the required info with a quick glance you are much better off. No need to know you are at 12.38456 Volts when the first yellow tells you all you need to know. :) Now I'm not too motivated to get one for this bike yet as its' electrical system is years ago of the old Quota and I don't have extra load to place on it (grips are starting to look good though).
 
Just thinking out loud here, but those guys with their thumpy cars and the stereos that draw more than the car can handle use something to help out, why couldn't something like that be adapted for a bike?

Or am I thinking wrong?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.5
 
dBuster_imp said:
Just thinking out loud here, but those guys with their thumpy cars and the stereos that draw more than the car can handle use something to help out, why couldn't something like that be adapted for a bike?

Or am I thinking wrong?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.5
They use large capacitors that store a charge up(like a battery) and when the bass (drums / bass guitar) part arrive in the song the capacitor discharges helping with the rush of current required for the amplifier to drive the sub-woofer speakers. The capacitor then recharges between bass notes and discharges again on the next high demand bass note.(There is debate about how helpful they really are)

This would not be helpful in this situation since we are talking about heated gear that has a steady current draw as opposed to the intermittent high current draw of a large stereo system. (from one who has had many "thumpy" cars) lol
 
dBuster_imp said:
Just thinking out loud here, but those guys with their thumpy cars and the stereos that draw more than the car can handle use something to help out, why couldn't something like that be adapted for a bike?

Or am I thinking wrong?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.5
It only helps with transients; it doesn't provide any long term power. They have to install larger alternators for continuous higher output.
 
Dakota_imp said:
dBuster_imp said:
Just thinking out loud here, but those guys with their thumpy cars and the stereos that draw more than the car can handle use something to help out, why couldn't something like that be adapted for a bike?

Or am I thinking wrong?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4.2.5
It only helps with transients; it doesn't provide any long term power. They have to install larger alternators for continuous higher output.
Well it was with a shot to mention it...

Back to my original idea, somehow outfitting a car alternator to the bike... ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
Just put a bike trailer hitch on the bike and pull a little trailer with a Honda generator on it. Then you can power up all your accessories AND a coffee pot too!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just put a bike trailer hitch on the bike and pull a little trailer with a Honda generator on it. Then you can power up all your accessories AND a coffee pot too!
That's what I'm talking about, Honda eu2000 strapped on the rear carrier:clap:
 
Some race cars had alternators driven off of the pinion. I suppose that you could rig something up powered by the chain drive.
 
Rboe_imp said:
When I first heard of it I was not impressed; but you know, as you get older and your prescription changes on your glasses; what you can see well far away look like crap up close. Like fine meters. Besides, with todays texting drivers and such, if you can get the required info with a quick glance you are much better off. No need to know you are at 12.38456 Volts when the first yellow tells you all you need to know. :) Now I'm not too motivated to get one for this bike yet as its' electrical system is years ago of the old Quota and I don't have extra load to place on it (grips are starting to look good though).
I've had those on my bikes and have one on my Yamaha FZ1, the CB is in line to get one too. Made a difference in how I loaded the electrical output on the 74 CB750 I was restoring. No riding with wife in cold weather with our heated jackets---wouldn't carry the load. But better to know than be stuck in the boonies with a dead battery.
 
Back
Top