Electric wires, sleeves

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Has anybody noted that the sleeves around quite a few electric wires aren’t sealed ? Looks to me as if water could easily get in and stay there for a long time. Tomorrow I’ll show a few pics, unless this is old hat.
 
I don’t recall it being discussed before j3gq. Lord Popgun will probably correct me. :(
 
j3gq_imp said:
Has anybody noted that the sleeves around quite a few electric wires aren’t sealed ? Looks to me as if water could easily get in and stay there for a long time. Tomorrow I’ll show a few pics, unless this is old hat.
Position the sleeves so the seam is pointing down then use heat shrink tubing to seal the ends.
 
I don’t think we have ever mentioned it Cormanus.

A lot of the connectors on our bike use a rubber plug that the wire goes through before the pin is crimped on. No sleeves or heatshrink needed. Look here for a picture of said seals: Motorcycle HM .090 Sealed - Connector and Terminals

You have to scroll down to see them and at the bottom of the page you can see a finished crimped pin ready for installation in the connector shell.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don’t think we have ever mentioned it Cormanus.

A lot of the connectors on our bike use a rubber plug that the wire goes through before the pin is crimped on. No sleeves or heatshrink needed. Look here for a picture of said seals: Motorcycle HM .090 Sealed - Connector and Terminals

You have to scroll down to see them and at the bottom of the page you can see a finished crimped pin ready for installation in the connector shell.
I would agree. Seems pretty standard across the entire Honda family line.
 
Thread starter
DBM_imp said:
j3gq_imp said:
Has anybody noted that the sleeves around quite a few electric wires aren’t sealed ? Looks to me as if water could easily get in and stay there for a long time. Tomorrow I’ll show a few pics, unless this is old hat.
Position the sleeves so the seam is pointing down then use heat shrink tubing to seal the ends.
Position the sleeves so the seam is pointing down then use heat shrink tubing to seal the ends.
@LP, great info, good design, thanks,
I wouldn’t have known or found it without your help.
 
Modern connectors (mostly) don't need heat shrink or potting due to the seals. Some could use it if needed but most on our bikes either don't, or are pretty well protected under the tank/seat or in the headlight shell, etc. But you could add it if you want. We don't have reports of corroded connectors though. Anything is possible and YMMV.
 
Just used this today, ALL in ONE, variety of sizes, no soldering gun.
Heat gun performs excellent electrical conductivity and seals off repaired connection...

8827f3f1b7acfeddd16967baff000b98.jpg


3d256bc4a6382ab51b8d436c0a1fe60c.jpg


7c410c9117537a06d263e6659984fe0a.jpg


b6402c079e3a5c802cd705e42ad8a308.jpg


aa4bf7fadd2b4ff6ab83663224b12243.jpg


https://www.amazon.ca/Kuject-Connectors-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B073RMRCC3?th=1
 
We had those in Naval Aviation in the ‘70s.

I personally don’t care for them as I like to know the wire is what melts the solder. Plus I can wipe the solder to remove surface oxidation.
 
...wow, they did? ...at that time Canada produced Ford Pinto at St. Thomas Assembly in Southwold, Ontario :D:P
 
Wait. So Canada gave us with the Pinto? Did you give us the Vega too? ;)

My first car was a Vega, unfortunately.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Wait. So Canada gave us with the Pinto? Did you give us the Vega too? ;)

My first car was a Vega, unfortunately.
Ford had a few Pinto assembly plants:

United States:
* Edison, New Jersey (Edison Assembly)
* Milpitas, California (San Jose Assembly)

Canada:
* Southwold, Ontario (St. Thomas Assembly)

= = =

The Chevy Vega was built at:

United States:
* Lordstown Assembly, Lordstown, Ohio
* South Gate Assembly South Gate, California

Canada:
* Thérèse Assembly, Quebec
 
Back
Top