Electric Gloves/gear

Bheezy27403_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok, talk of heated gloves on another thread has me interested. My hands are why I don't ride in the cold (less than 40). I have a pair of Frank Thomas insulated, waterproof gloves that are ok untill the hand sweats start. they also curl a bit naturally which I don't like and I feel "insulated" from the bikes controls too.
I have never owned any electric stuff but it may be the answer. How do they hook up? To the bike? To a batt pack? Is it cumbersome? Wires everywhere?
All opinions and info welcomed
 
I bought a Gerbing heated jacket liner last year (first heated gear ever ) and I love it, should have bought it years earlier !
At the same time I bought the Gerbing jacket liner control unit , a dial type but not user friendly. You are much better of getting the Hotwired jacket liner controller. They all fit together.
I run a cable direct from the battery to the controller/jacket , make certain to use the right fuse.
As I have multiple bikes I never had heated grips but 2 years ago I bought the Held Twin Chamber winter gloves, they are very nice but not cheap.
I only use Held gloves , they are well made , fit me great and have great safety futures and a handy visor wiper.
 
Lots of good info at these two sites:

Heated Clothing, Jackets, Gloves, Socks & Vests

Warm & Safe Heated Clothing the Warmest Clothing in the Universe

Heated Motorcycle Gear | Shop Hotwired, Gerbing & More - RevZilla

I have a Powerlet RapidFIRe heated jacket liner:



Gerbing's T5 Hybrid heated leather gloves:



and a dual portable Heat-troller controller:



The connections are all "DC coax" which is a type of tip and ring connector. You can supply power directly from the battery through a fuse to a female DC coax or through a fused switched relay. I like the portable Heat-troller because I use Velcro to make a loop around my jacket's belt. That way it follows me from bike to bike vs. needing a Heat-troller mounted on each bike. Be sure to get a controller because straight voltage applied to the jacket liner or gloves will quickly cook you. You may also want a short extension cord so you can move around on the bike without accidentally unplugging.

The jacket liner plugs into both channels of the Heat-troller. One channel is the jacket liner power, the other is glove power. Internal wires carry the glove power through the jacket liner and down the sleeves to the cuffs. You plug the gloves into the DC coax leads on the jacket liner cuffs.

By wearing the Heat-troller on your body, there is only a single connection from the Heat-troller to the main DC coax power lead on the bike.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Ok, talk of heated gloves on another thread has me interested. My hands are why I don't ride in the cold (less than 40). I have a pair of Frank Thomas insulated, waterproof gloves that are ok untill the hand sweats start. they also curl a bit naturally which I don't like and I feel "insulated" from the bikes controls too.
I have never owned any electric stuff but it may be the answer. How do they hook up? To the bike? To a batt pack? Is it cumbersome? Wires everywhere?
All opinions and info welcomed
It's pretty much like hooking up a battery tender, the bolt on version. One wire to the positive battery post, the other to the negative or a local ground bolt. If you do have the battery tender pigtail already in place you may want to just pick up an adapter cable and you're done (check your fuse requirement).

If you don't have the tender connection; the pigtail connector is then routed and accessible from your location of choice. Between the front of the tank/seat, from under the seat, or even from the rear side below the seat (there is already a cutout between the shock & frame).

Keep in mind where ever you decide, you will want it conveniently located/accessible while sitting on the bike since you will need to connect and disconnect each time you mount dismount if/when it's actively used.

I have no experience with the self contained rechargeable battery pack units.
 
I have a warm n safe jacket liner and heated glove liners (already have plenty of gloves) glove liners plug into cuffs on jacket liner, dual heat controller control heat to liner and glove liners separately. Heat controller plugs into my battery tender pigtail. I keep controller in side pocket of tank bag.

ST has aftermarket heated grips and handlebar muffs, so I only need my regular deer skin gloves on that for my hands.
 
Garbing is headquartered in my city so I was able to get some heated pants and gloves along with controllers at an excellent price - 75% off retail! Pants have some armor and abrasion resistance and also have removable layers, waterproof membrane and 'quilted electric heat', so I can and do use them year round. Excellent quality pants I wear three seasons - only mesh pants are comfortable in the summers here.

Love them for thermal protection, was riding last winter for quite a while and couldn't even tell I was outside. Also purchased a battery powered lightweight zip up jacket from them for off bike use, took that to Iceland in January where it performed remarkably well.

Electric gear isn't inexpensive but it sure makes cold weather riding worthwhile.
 
I got my Gerbing's T5 Hybrid heated leather gloves this season from a vendor on eBay for $94 delivered. I'd been using heated glove liners but found two disadvantages: 1) it feels like you're pulling off and on two pairs of gloves every time you need to use your fingers...because that's essentially what you are doing 2) if you're wearing winter gloves in your normal size, the added thickness of the liners makes the gloves tight and inhibits circulation a bit.

With heated gloves, there's no additional procedure other than plugging them into the ports on the jacket cuff. When you need them off, zip they're off and dangling from the cords so you don't even have to stow them somewhere on the bike while they're off. I've found that winter gloves in my normal size tend to feel tight just because they are bulkier. I bought my heated gloves a size larger than my normal glove size. The extra interior room allows for good blood circulation and actually forms more internal air pockets for additional insulation. A nice surprise is that every finger and thumb seems to be heated on all sides including the palms, so I don't even need to turn on my heated grips.
 
Thread starter
Hmmm. Good info. I do have a batt tender pigtail hooked up which has the male and female tip. So I guess I'm partially there. I'll need to do some research on gloves and jacket liners.

thanks for the replies gents.
 
Riding with a heated jacket liner is like riding wrapped in an electric blanket
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have a warm n safe jacket liner and heated glove liners (already have plenty of gloves) glove liners plug into cuffs on jacket liner, dual heat controller control heat to liner and glove liners separately. Heat controller plugs into my battery tender pigtail. I keep controller in side pocket of tank bag.

ST has aftermarket heated grips and handlebar muffs, so I only need my regular deer skin gloves on that for my hands.
Are you talking about regular construction glove....the ugly yellow ones? I need pictures of the ensamble please!
Just order the Oxford grips my self so now I'm tackling the glove situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 
No I wear motorcycle specific deerskin gloves from Fox Creek and another company which the name escapes me right now. Without the handlebar muffs on the ST the gloves would be too thin for below 40 degree rides of any length. For me the thin deerskin gloves I use are good down to about 45-50 degrees by themselves. I have heavier gloves to wear on naked bikes that don't have heated grips or some kind of wind protection...or I use the heated glove liners plugged into my heated jacket liner.
 
If it's really cold outside with no snow, ice or salt
on the streets and I like to go out for a ride, I use this ones.
They are two in one, mountainclimbers use them for example. No electricity involved.

Wisedrum
 
Just bought these. Rechargeable batteries. Supposed to work for at least 3 hours on High, longer if I don’t need to be as toasty. 55 tomorrow, so I won’t be testing them anytime soon, but I will report back once I do




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Neat my son could use those
 
Even though I have no experience with heated gear, I'll add this...

If you're going to ride with heated gloves, riding with a compatible heated jacket makes the connection system much easier.
That way, you're only dealing with connections at the hip and wrists....instead of having a loose wire run up your jacket and down your sleeves, etc.

Also, I've heard from several people that heated gloves are somewhat more effective than heated grips. The heating areas are apparently different (the grips send the heat into the palms, whereas the heated gloves go the other way, from the outside in).
 
Bheezy -a little late , but if you have the two wire tender pigtail you can buy an adapter cable to go from your two wire pigtale to the heated gear coaxial connecter on the controllers.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Just bought these. Rechargeable batteries. Supposed to work for at least 3 hours on High, longer if I don’t need to be as toasty. 55 tomorrow, so I won’t be testing them anytime soon, but I will report back once I do




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had those and returned them in a hurry. Battery life sucks...it lasted me just a moth and half (have an extra one if you ever need it) Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top