Only a reflash can eliminate the speed limiter.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I just want to get the rev limiter removed.Cormanus_imp said:Only a reflash can eliminate the speed limiter.
I think a reflash can do that too.LARIDER_imp said:I just want to get the rev limiter removed.Cormanus_imp said:Only a reflash can eliminate the speed limiter.
It's annoying when it kicks in because sometimes I have to really give'er the gas when I'm getting on the Freeway. (Some of the Freeway entrances I have to use actually have stop signs at the end of them!)
You are correct, there is a 500 RPM difference between the tach and actual. Flashed bikes will redline @ 9500 on tach actual 9000 with the 500 RPM bump.dsinned_imp said:Somewhere I read that the "revlimiter" ACTUALLY kicks in at ~9000 rpm, not at 8500 as the tach's redline suggests. Is this true? All the Dynojet test results I've seen show the cutoff engine rpm to be 8500. Not wanting to find out as I'm still breaking in the engine, nevertheless just curious what others here may have determined for themselves.
How much does Guhl charge for the reflash and where is he located, so I can calculate shipping?
I did not notice any of what you are describing. Had my bike flashed stock which had no noticeable difference under 6K and when added the full Yoshi it performed excellent with perfect air/fuel ratio's. I have video runs both stock and flashed with no bog or hesitation from the hole. 1/4 and 1/2 throttle response where also spot on.modmaster_imp said:I hope you have better luck than I did with the reflash. I have a K&N filter, TSR air filter cover, gutted stock headers, Oxygen sensor remover, and the reflash. It seems to have picked up a bit of part throttle responsiveness because of the increased ignition advance maybe, but I have to have the engine above 5000 rpms before I can give it half throttle with out it feeling boggy or soft as I wind it up. If I give it full throttle at anything below 6000rpms it holds back or is boggy again big time. I think it was set too rich for my bike as setup now. It feels like I'm riding a 600 supersport bike with a bit more grunt at low end. Not as good as the way it was set up with the stock ECU settings. I'm not happy with it and I guess I'll have to send it back to try some leaner settings at midrange and WOT settings.
modmaster
I didn't notice much difference with the flash except having the limiter gone and an extra 500RPM's on top as I mentioned in my original post. There is a noticeable difference going to a full exhaust and the ECU corrects perfectly without the need for any piggybacks.Rebel73_imp said:Ok, so I got my ECU back on Monday. I threw it back in and took her for a spin on local streets. It does seem to pull a bit harder, but honestly it's kind of hard to tell by mere SOTP standards. Throttle response is very good. I'll do a freeway run this weekend for a better assessment.
I didn't notice much difference with the flash except having the limiter gone and an extra 500RPM's on top as I mentioned in my original post. There is a noticeable difference going to a full exhaust and the ECU corrects perfectly without the need for any piggybacks.CIP57_imp said:I didn't notice much difference with the flash except having the limiter gone and an extra 500RPM's on top as I mentioned in my original post. There is a noticeable difference going to a full exhaust and the ECU corrects perfectly without the need for any piggybacks.Rebel73_imp said:Ok, so I got my ECU back on Monday. I threw it back in and took her for a spin on local streets. It does seem to pull a bit harder, but honestly it's kind of hard to tell by mere SOTP standards. Throttle response is very good. I'll do a freeway run this weekend for a better assessment.
Edit: I did have the map installed from from the PC5 power commander.
I didn't notice much difference with the flash except having the limiter gone and an extra 500RPM's on top as I mentioned in my original post. There is a noticeable difference going to a full exhaust and the ECU corrects perfectly without the need for any piggybacks.CIP57_imp said:I didn't notice much difference with the flash except having the limiter gone and an extra 500RPM's on top as I mentioned in my original post. There is a noticeable difference going to a full exhaust and the ECU corrects perfectly without the need for any piggybacks.Rebel73_imp said:Ok, so I got my ECU back on Monday. I threw it back in and took her for a spin on local streets. It does seem to pull a bit harder, but honestly it's kind of hard to tell by mere SOTP standards. Throttle response is very good. I'll do a freeway run this weekend for a better assessment.
Edit: I did have the map installed from from the PC5 power commander.
When you say gutted stock header, do you mean basically open exhaust? I have an aftermarket exhaust, and if I remove the baffle (I. E., reduce back preassure) I basically lose all low-end torque from below 5-6k, the same as you describe. I remember it was so bad I basically took it out for one ride and then never put took it out again.modmaster_imp said:I hope you have better luck than I did with the reflash. I have a K&N filter, TSR air filter cover, gutted stock headers, Oxygen sensor remover, and the reflash. It seems to have picked up a bit of part throttle responsiveness because of the increased ignition advance maybe, but I have to have the engine above 5000 rpms before I can give it half throttle with out it feeling boggy or soft as I wind it up. If I give it full throttle at anything below 6000rpms it holds back or is boggy again big time. I think it was set too rich for my bike as setup now. It feels like I'm riding a 600 supersport bike with a bit more grunt at low end. Not as good as the way it was set up with the stock ECU settings. I'm not happy with it and I guess I'll have to send it back to try some leaner settings at midrange and WOT settings.
modmaster
How has the reflash been working out?Rebel73_imp said:Ok, so I got my ECU back on Monday. I threw it back in and took her for a spin on local streets. It does seem to pull a bit harder, but honestly it's kind of hard to tell by mere SOTP standards. Throttle response is very good. I'll do a freeway run this weekend for a better assessment.
Sort of like dental work, doesn't take that long but the R&D is extensive.dsinned_imp said:No offense to anyone, removal of the speed limiter is certainly desirable, but kind of a big turn off at $375 for a reflash. The work to do this couldn't be any more than half an hour tops, including return shipping.
Not enough B4B for me!
Thanks for that, I will skip the reflash. Removal of the speed limiter would be nice but not that important. The CB1100 is just not that restricted stock.modmaster_imp said:Kmoney. You are exactly right. That is what usually happens. This is the first 4 cylinder bike I have owned and I have owned plenty of motorcycles in the past.I'm 69 years old and have seen a lot of different kinds of engines. I think I expected to much from the reflash on this engine. After about 3 or 400 miles on the reflash I have come to notice that there is definitely more power but it has to be wound up to really notice it. I still think the mixture is not right at full throttle but it does pull very hard when I wind it to redline in the first 3 gears. I did have it up to 120mph twice. Once in 4th gear and once in 5th. Both times at that speed I rolled off the throttle a bit and it seemed to be picking up. Sure sign that engine is not happy with the mixture at that operating range. Like others have already said on this forum the reflash does help the part throttle pick up and overall I do see great roll on pull at 60 or 70mph so I see that it is better than stock but not as good as the reflash on my 2013 Triumph T100. That made a good 6 to 8 horsepower more and 5 to 6 more lb.ft. of torque and gave increases in at all throttle positions and great overall driveability. I'm still happy enough to leave it alone the way it's running. Modmaster