ECU installed

This ECU mod sounds like a great addition for increased performance, and posts indicate it is not harmful to the engine.
Can someone explain step-by-step, with how's and why's, as to go about adding this ECU? I have a 2014 DLX, and I would be interested doing as much of the work myself as possible, but I am not at all experienced mechanically, so I need the dumbed-down version. :))
 
It is a small black box up under the gas tank you remove, send off for re-programming ( called a reflash) and reinstalled once you get it back.
 
hemdawg_imp said:
This ECU mod sounds like a great addition for increased performance, and posts indicate it is not harmful to the engine.
Can someone explain step-by-step, with how's and why's, as to go about adding this ECU? I have a 2014 DLX, and I would be interested doing as much of the work myself as possible, but I am not at all experienced mechanically, so I need the dumbed-down version. :))
It isn't "adding" but rather modifying. The ECU is the Engine Control Unit, or Electronic Control Unit. It's job is to receive input from a myriad of sensors, and relate them to a set of predetermine values found in it's lookup table, or map. These values are used as feedback to control things such as engine timing, fuel injection air/fuel ratios, idle speed, etc. In simple terms, it is part of a feedback loop that assess sensor values on engine's outputs in order to control the engine inputs.

Many times the values stored in the ECU maps are not ideal for performance. They are a compromise required to meet EPA requirements, mandates on noise, etc. A prime example is designing a map around a noise test. If the bike has to pass by the noise sensor at a given speed and rpm, then the map may be adjusted to minimize the noise. Exhaust systems, airbox, ECU map, etc. are all tailored to passing that test, in direct opposition to best performance of the bike. This is why you so often see exhaust, airbox, air filter, and ECU on the list of mods.

At any rate, the goal of an ECU modification is to change the values stored in the map (multidimensional lookup table). One way is to "flash" the bikes stock ECU, which just means to copy a new set of values into the units electronic storage. A second way is to leave the stock ECU alone, and use a device such as the Dynojet Power Commander V, which gets inserted into your wiring harness between the stock ECU and the electronics it is controlling. The PCV also contains a map of values, but it does the job by taking each given value from your stock ECU and applying a modifier to it, that may increase, or decrease, the stock value. The net result ends up being the same, but there are pros and cons to both that one needs to consider when making a choice.
 
Just to add to DGShannon's post, if you are keen to remove the speed limiter on the CB, you would have to go for a reflash. Units such as the Power Commander V cannot do that for you.
 
thanks for the replies.
I'd like to modify the ECU. There is mention of great results with "Don's" ECU mod.
How would I contact Don?
 
Thread starter
Remove the gas tank the ECU is under it. Only hard part is removing the fuel line but once you do it. It's easy the next time.
 
I recall from the UK forum that responding to emails may not be Don's forte.
 
Thread starter
Don don't do emails he has another guy who does emails. Then he has another guy who makes just wiring harnesses. Best to call Don. But he stays busy so keep calling him
 
I'm going to have my guy who notifies my guys, contact my guy who sends emails and tell him not to bother with anymore emails to Don and that he should email my guy who calls guys and ask him to call Don. Unless, of course, Don has someone who answers his phone calls. In which case ...
 
Thread starter
The guy who takes the calls is the wiring harness guy. Which in returns hollers at Don from across the room hey u got a phone call LOL
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Don called me. Also responded to my emails. ;)
Perfect, I'm sending you the email I wrote. Please forward to Don. Thanks! Haha.
Perfect, I'm sending you the email I wrote. Please forward to Don. Thanks! Haha.

Oh that was good :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top