ECU FLASHED AND ON ITS WAY

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
ECU was not bricked :thumbsup:
Excepted changes as follows;

Timing retard removed in 1,2,3 & 4th gear
500 rpm rev limiter increase
Top Speed Limiter removed
PC5 Map installed A/F ratio's
Other fine tuning

Patiently waiting to install it over the weekend. Hoping all goes we'll, will have a full write-up once i get a chance to try it out.
 
Great, I'm sure everyone is waiting anxiously!
I guess they did this based on experience and not actual CB1100 on a dyno?
and PCV would not be used afterwards?
No timing retard, will you need premium gas now?
Was it difficult to remove the ECU from the CB?
 
CIP57_imp said:
ECU was not bricked :thumbsup:
Excepted changes as follows;

Timing retard removed in 1,2,3 & 4th gear
500 rpm rev limiter increase
Top Speed Limiter removed
PC5 Map installed A/F ratio's
Other fine tuning

Patiently waiting to install it over the weekend. Hoping all goes we'll, will have a full write-up once i get a chance to try it out.
Hoorah! I will be the first in line to get this done once you get it installed and report back.

I think you are gonna be floored at how much harder it pulls in the lower gears, and as far as top speed, you take that risk on your own. I don't care about that so be safe out there, don't wring it out on my account.

If it works like it did on my FZ8, you're gonna have noticeably more power in the first four gears, and it'll spin up to redline more quickly (rev more freely) and basically be a lot more rideable.
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
Great, I'm sure everyone is waiting anxiously!
I guess they did this based on experience and not actual CB1100 on a dyno?
and PCV would not be used afterwards?
No timing retard, will you need premium gas now?
Was it difficult to remove the ECU from the CB?
Once the tank is removed its just removing two wiring harness clips. Be careful the holder of the ECU is very sensitive, the clips holding it are very weak. I broke the left clip and had to drill and install a zip tie. They downloaded the stock PC5 map and installed.
 
Even though I have no interest in having this done, for some reason I'm crazy curious to see how yours turns out.

fingers crossed CIP
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Even though I have no interest in having this done, for some reason I'm crazy curious to see how yours turns out.

fingers crossed CIP
Thanks Mickey, hope all goes well.
 
Got my old SV650 naked up to 140 with only ~68 hp, I bet this baby will do at least 145-150...

So pumped to hear about this!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I've got to say this is kinda funny.

You see, for a loooooong time we've been treated to bikes that have crazy bad top speeds, sublime handling, the tyre tech racers helped develop and unlimited horsepower.

So Honda decided to tap into our retro loving urges formed in our youth.

They spend untold sums making it 'authentic' and in doing so purposefully made concessions as to the 'efficiency' of the design.

Now, ironically we have people trying to replace this Honda 'asprin & a slug of whiskey' solution to our 'need for speed headache' with some Ibuprofen and GoJi berry juice'

The good thing is, it's history repeating itself.

Tired of the finely honed 'weapons of license destruction' we've been weaned on and consumed with an unquenchable thirst, we now want to 'tinker'.

Yes, we're now that same guy we were as teenagers, trying to de restrict our mopeds, big bore our 125's and generally have a say, and a part in making the changes.

The fact is, as much fun as it is to win a million pounds, it's far more satisfying to earn half a million.

In this respect, I think it's the means, rather than the ends that drive our brave pioneers of today to take a good bike and make it better.

There are already too many good bikes out there that leave little or no challenge for the owner in terms of useful modifications. That's taken the fun out of ownership, which is why I predict a future of people buying superficially 'inferior' bikes and spending the next 5 years 'getting them just right'.

The good news for us riders is that we will spend less on new bikes and instead plough the money into 'trick bits' for our projects. The manufacturers will no doubt sell less of this type of bike as they become 'keepers', but will expand their aftermarket accessory range to make profit recoups from.

Just my opinion.

Tortuga.
 
Yea...it's really more a matter " let's let this puppy run the way the engineers designed it to run, before the politicians and safety Nazi's got involved"

Basically the same attitude you have, when you run 120 kms in a 80km zone. (unless you don't do that, in which case I'll come up with another analogy ;) )
 
Sounds great! :) I bet it runs a lot better. Even thou they run good stock. I need his phone # so I can ask him about the 2014. The 13 & 14 are very different ECM. Wow I know you happy! Don't forget his phone #. I did have it from another post and called him but he never called me back
Michael
 
Tortuga_imp said:
I've got to say this is kinda funny.

You see, for a loooooong time we've been treated to bikes that have crazy bad top speeds, sublime handling, the tyre tech racers helped develop and unlimited horsepower.

So Honda decided to tap into our retro loving urges formed in our youth.

They spend untold sums making it 'authentic' and in doing so purposefully made concessions as to the 'efficiency' of the design.

Now, ironically we have people trying to replace this Honda 'asprin & a slug of whiskey' solution to our 'need for speed headache' with some Ibuprofen and GoJi berry juice'

The good thing is, it's history repeating itself.

Tired of the finely honed 'weapons of license destruction' we've been weaned on and consumed with an unquenchable thirst, we now want to 'tinker'.

Yes, we're now that same guy we were as teenagers, trying to de restrict our mopeds, big bore our 125's and generally have a say, and a part in making the changes.

The fact is, as much fun as it is to win a million pounds, it's far more satisfying to earn half a million.

In this respect, I think it's the means, rather than the ends that drive our brave pioneers of today to take a good bike and make it better.

There are already too many good bikes out there that leave little or no challenge for the owner in terms of useful modifications. That's taken the fun out of ownership, which is why I predict a future of people buying superficially 'inferior' bikes and spending the next 5 years 'getting them just right'.

The good news for us riders is that we will spend less on new bikes and instead plough the money into 'trick bits' for our projects. The manufacturers will no doubt sell less of this type of bike as they become 'keepers', but will expand their aftermarket accessory range to make profit recoups from.

Just my opinion.

Tortuga.
+1
 
The ferret_imp said:
Even though I have no interest in having this done, for some reason I'm crazy curious to see how yours turns out.

fingers crossed CIP
+1
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea...it's really more a matter " let's let this puppy run the way the engineers designed it to run, before the politicians and safety Nazi's got involved"

Basically the same attitude you have, when you run 120 kms in a 80km zone. (unless you don't do that, in which case I'll come up with another analogy ;) )
I disagree. Did you see the video where the engineers discussed at length their design goals for the CB? They specifically said that performance took a back-seat to having a smooth, easy to manage power band that made riding the bike like "taking a walk in the park." The only time "power" was mentioned was a passing comment to the effect of "it's there if you need it."

They may have put the speed limiter on the bike to meet a Japanese legal requirement, but I think that was irrelevant in context with the overall design.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yea...it's really more a matter " let's let this puppy run the way the engineers designed it to run, before the politicians and safety Nazi's got involved"

Basically the same attitude you have, when you run 120 kms in a 80km zone. (unless you don't do that, in which case I'll come up with another analogy ;) )
I disagree. Did you see the video where the engineers discussed at length their design goals for the CB? They specifically said that performance took a back-seat to having a smooth, easy to manage power band that made riding the bike like "taking a walk in the park." The only time "power" was mentioned was a passing comment to the effect of "it's there if you need it."

They may have put the speed limiter on the bike to meet a Japanese legal requirement, but I think that was irrelevant in context with the overall design.
I disagree. Did you see the video where the engineers discussed at length their design goals for the CB? They specifically said that performance took a back-seat to having a smooth, easy to manage power band that made riding the bike like "taking a walk in the park." The only time "power" was mentioned was a passing comment to the effect of "it's there if you need it."

They may have put the speed limiter on the bike to meet a Japanese legal requirement, but I think that was irrelevant in context with the overall design.
I disagree with your disagreement. I read very carefully the designers ideas, hopes, dreams for this motorcycle. Probably have it stored in my favorites. They said horsepower wasn't a priority, that they could have made it with as much horsepower as the goal was, but high horsepower was not the goal. They said a smooth, pleasant ride was a priority ( see we read/watched the same thing and agree on what they said)...NEVER did they say our goal is to limit rpms in the first couple of gears or our design criteria is to limit the speed to 112 miles per hour. That was the lawyers and politicians idea, NOT designers/engineers IMO.

Reflashing the ECU or whatever has not made it any more powerful (at least not appreciably), it just let the motor run how the engineers designed it to run. Again IMO
 
The ferret_imp said:
The Spaceman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yea...it's really more a matter " let's let this puppy run the way the engineers designed it to run, before the politicians and safety Nazi's got involved"

Basically the same attitude you have, when you run 120 kms in a 80km zone. (unless you don't do that, in which case I'll come up with another analogy ;) )
I disagree. Did you see the video where the engineers discussed at length their design goals for the CB? They specifically said that performance took a back-seat to having a smooth, easy to manage power band that made riding the bike like "taking a walk in the park." The only time "power" was mentioned was a passing comment to the effect of "it's there if you need it."

They may have put the speed limiter on the bike to meet a Japanese legal requirement, but I think that was irrelevant in context with the overall design.
I disagree. Did you see the video where the engineers discussed at length their design goals for the CB? They specifically said that performance took a back-seat to having a smooth, easy to manage power band that made riding the bike like "taking a walk in the park." The only time "power" was mentioned was a passing comment to the effect of "it's there if you need it."

They may have put the speed limiter on the bike to meet a Japanese legal requirement, but I think that was irrelevant in context with the overall design.
I disagree with your disagreement. I read very carefully the designers ideas, hopes, dreams for this motorcycle. Probably have it stored in my favorites. They said horsepower wasn't a priority, that they could have made it with as much horsepower as the goal was, but high horsepower was not the goal. They said a smooth, pleasant ride was a priority ( see we read/watched the same thing and agree on what they said)...NEVER did they say our goal is to limit rpms in the first couple of gears or our design criteria is to limit the speed to 112 miles per hour. That was the lawyers and politicians idea, NOT designers/engineers IMO.

Reflashing the ECU or whatever has not made it any more powerful (at least not appreciably), it just let the motor run how the engineers designed it to run. Again IMO
I disagree. Did you see the video where the engineers discussed at length their design goals for the CB? They specifically said that performance took a back-seat to having a smooth, easy to manage power band that made riding the bike like "taking a walk in the park." The only time "power" was mentioned was a passing comment to the effect of "it's there if you need it."

They may have put the speed limiter on the bike to meet a Japanese legal requirement, but I think that was irrelevant in context with the overall design.
I disagree with your disagreement. I read very carefully the designers ideas, hopes, dreams for this motorcycle. Probably have it stored in my favorites. They said horsepower wasn't a priority, that they could have made it with as much horsepower as the goal was, but high horsepower was not the goal. They said a smooth, pleasant ride was a priority ( see we read/watched the same thing and agree on what they said)...NEVER did they say our goal is to limit rpms in the first couple of gears or our design criteria is to limit the speed to 112 miles per hour. That was the lawyers and politicians idea, NOT designers/engineers IMO.

Reflashing the ECU or whatever has not made it any more powerful (at least not appreciably), it just let the motor run how the engineers designed it to run. Again IMO
I disagree with your disagreement of his disagreement.

The bike is what it is. We don't go 112+ mph everywhere! and if we do, buy one of the 50 other bikes that do that 'out the box'.

There are no conspiracy theories surrounding the bike, the speed limiter, or which markets it was shipped to.

I think a lot of people are a) making a big fuss about nothing and b) trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

If none of the above apply then c) you bought the wrong motorbike buddy-boy!
 
Well, it doesn't apply to me... But I understand the principal.
 
Back
Top