ECU Flash - Power Delivery

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Reading the many posts on here about the ECU reflash, one of the things it does, apparently, is provide "smoother power delivery".

What exactly does that mean, and why don't Hondas come from the factory with smooth power delivery?
 
This bike (as well as most new bikes) has the fueling mapped with an eye toward passing emissions regulations than perfect performance. As a result, the rideability -- i.e., part throttle, tip-in, roll-on -- isn't as smooth as it would be in an engine mapped for ideal rideability. An ECU re-flash solves this problem. Yes, this does mean that it gets slightly richer fueling, but your MPG will not suffer noticeably. I don't have an ECU reflash, but I have a Power Commander accomplishing the same thing (at least in terms of fueling) and it's one of the best mods I put on my bike.
 
Thread starter
Actually, I meant to say they say "improved" power delivery and ask whether this meant smoother power delivery, or quicker power delivery. I find when in traffic that the throttle is twitchy. Apply throttle and the bike snaps the rider back. Come off the throttle and the driver snaps forward. I wonder if the ECU reflash would address that.
 
postoak_imp said:
Actually, I meant to say they say "improved" power delivery and ask whether this meant smoother power delivery, or quicker power delivery. I find when in traffic that the throttle is twitchy. Apply throttle and the bike snaps the rider back. Come off the throttle and the driver snaps forward. I wonder if the ECU reflash would address that.
A $20 Oxygen Sensor Eliminator Plug definitely addresses that problem (in part or in whole!). Part of the problem you are describing is the sudden deceleration when you let off the throttle. The stock ECU totally shuts off fueling when you let off the throttle causing rapid engine braking which makes slow speed driving and driving in corners difficult without expertly feathering the clutch.

With the O2 Sensor Eliminator Plug in place, rapid engine braking is greatly eliminated when you let off the throttle. I now find the "power delivery" much smoother and safer. In fact, I'm sure that some of the improvements noted by Power Commander owners are the result of this $20 part which is included with the Power Commander and is essential for its correct operation.

What have you got to lose for $20?...and it is easy to unplug if you don't like it, but I don't know of anyone who installed it on their CB1100 that was unhappy...except for one or two who installed it incorrectly or only installed one plug on a DLX which need two plugs ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/o2-Oxygen-Lambda...GJ&vxp=mtr

NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with O2 Sensor Eliminator Plug sales or production...I'm just a very happy customer!
 
Thread starter
Yes, so did I.

It will be an interesting test. My Valkyrie has the issue to an even greater extent. When I let off the throttle the rpms drop precipitously to 1000.

I've had to develop a technique of rolling off the throttle in a controlled fashion where on my old carburretted bike I could just release the throttle.
 
With the fi bikes, learning to roll the throttle on and off is a technique that must be learned if you want to ride smoothly. Carbs had over lapping systems, low speed jet > pilot jet > main jet which made trasitions of throttle smooth. Fi has no overlapping systems so it's either on or off. The smoother you are with the rolling on and off with the throttle the smoother the bike will react to inputs.
 
I had the same challenges with slow riding. I installed the $20 oxygen thingie and was very pleased with the results. I later installed a power commander I picked up used here, and the difference was less noticeable, though still nice. Bottom line, all the advice above is spot on :thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
With the fi bikes, learning to roll the throttle on and off is a technique that must be learned if you want to ride smoothly. Carbs had over lapping systems, low speed jet > pilot jet > main jet which made trasitions of throttle smooth. Fi has no overlapping systems so it's either on or off. The smoother you are with the rolling on and off with the throttle the smoother the bike will react to inputs.
Darn straight.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
With the fi bikes, learning to roll the throttle on and off is a technique that must be learned if you want to ride smoothly. Carbs had over lapping systems, low speed jet > pilot jet > main jet which made trasitions of throttle smooth. Fi has no overlapping systems so it's either on or off. The smoother you are with the rolling on and off with the throttle the smoother the bike will react to inputs.
Very enlightening post. Exactly what I am finding out for myself.
 
The ferret_imp said:
With the fi bikes, learning to roll the throttle on and off is a technique that must be learned if you want to ride smoothly. Carbs had over lapping systems, low speed jet > pilot jet > main jet which made trasitions of throttle smooth. Fi has no overlapping systems so it's either on or off. The smoother you are with the rolling on and off with the throttle the smoother the bike will react to inputs.
This is exactly what I had to learn when I got my CB900F (919).
It was the first FI bike I had ever ridden and it was a nightmare for most of that summer riding in traffic; sudden on, sudden off, sudden on, sudden off.
It was a wonderful bike out on the road, but at the end of that first summer I thought I had made a great mistake and began to regret buying it because most of the time it was so herky jerky riding through the city in stop and go traffic.
The following summer something clicked immediately in my pea brain and I suddenly became an old hand with the FI and have had no problems since - and I still have that bike.
Except for the 1100 all my other bikes have carbs and when I switch rides back and forth the transition is quite easy.
But I will say that the FI on the 1100 is so much more refined than the 900F and adapting to it was very smooth.
 
I find the CB, stock, incredibly easy to ride. Especially in town. Now perhaps coming from the Moto Guzzi Griso, which is not nearly as easy to ride in town, lowered my standards (new mapping on the Griso has made it almost as good as the CB in the low rpm range).

Some consider the eliminator a kludge that remapping is the real solution, and certainly on the Griso a dealer in OZ has found it causing motor problems down the road. Granted, the factory map on the Griso left a lot to be desired (while the new map is good, I was not all that displeased with the stock map).

If a wee bit of wrist training is all that is needed - now you have an excellent excuse to ride more! :D
 
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
With the fi bikes, learning to roll the throttle on and off is a technique that must be learned if you want to ride smoothly. Carbs had over lapping systems, low speed jet > pilot jet > main jet which made trasitions of throttle smooth. Fi has no overlapping systems so it's either on or off. The smoother you are with the rolling on and off with the throttle the smoother the bike will react to inputs.
This is exactly what I had to learn when I got my CB900F (919).
It was the first FI bike I had ever ridden and it was a nightmare for most of that summer riding in traffic; sudden on, sudden off, sudden on, sudden off.
It was a wonderful bike out on the road, but at the end of that first summer I thought I had made a great mistake and began to regret buying it because most of the time it was so herky jerky riding through the city in stop and go traffic.
The following summer something clicked immediately in my pea brain and I suddenly became an old hand with the FI and have had no problems since - and I still have that bike.
Except for the 1100 all my other bikes have carbs and when I switch rides back and forth the transition is quite easy.
But I will say that the FI on the 1100 is so much more refined than the 900F and adapting to it was very smooth.
I actually sold a couple of bikes because the EFI was so bad. But it was in large part because I had not learned to adapt to it. Very different riding style and throttle control needed.

This is specifically about picking up the throttle from the bottom of a turn at max lean, the EFI had a disconcerting jerk and after years and years of carbs, I just figured the EFI was badly sorted.

Now I know "they all do that."
 
I received my. 02. Eliminator ...question what's the little brass screw for? I remember seeing it somewhere here... Any help would be appreciated... Thanks.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
dsan1964_imp said:
I received my. 02. Eliminator ...question what's the little brass screw for? I remember seeing it somewhere here... Any help would be appreciated... Thanks.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's supposed to replace the O2 sensor (where it inserts into the muffler) if you remove it. But most don't.
 
dsan1964 ^^^
postoak

Can either/both of you give us a 'review' of just this (02 Sensor Eliminator) change? That would be appreciated!
 
Thanks! Yes I will give a review....yesterday I was in some tight 1st and 2nd gear twisties only a few times I noticed slightly abrupt throttle... But I'm used to it...we will see btw it was a nice weds 140 mile run to Santa Cruz then pch.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top