ECM Flash vs. Front Forks (Poll)

aschem_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Middle of winter; snow and ice everywhere and plenty of time to dream about CB100 stuff. Can't decide on getting front end upgrade (spings, valve emulators,) or my ECM re-flashed. I've already installed Ikon rear shocks and Arrow muffler. Let the voting begin.
 
in lieu of that since you've already had the rear upgraded I'd do the forks. Rather have my bike handle well from 0-112 than handle poorly from 0-134
 
I have both the re-flash and Power Commander V. The PC V is a much more noticeable difference, IMHO. And I really like the re-flash so I'm not complaining. The fact that Matthias still has a PC V for sale in the Classifieds (with an air intake funnel) for only ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DOLLARS!!! Is just mind-blowing to me. Just shows that a lot of folks believe that Honda, and the USDOT, have conspired to perfectly tune a motor to get the best performance out of it. Rigghhtt! :D
 
Do both...

But if funds are a limiting factor, I would offer these modifying guideline:

1st mods: Brakes; you never want to be in a trouble spot where you have gone past your ability to stop
2nd mods: Suspension; Unless you are building a drag racer (straight line performance), better suspension lets you have a larger riding envelop
3rd mods: RW power; Although last, you have now set up the bike to handle more power.

But, we all know most of the riders of this bike bought it because it reminds them of the past... so we're an older generation with more disposable income! So, do what Pterodactyl said. Just post pics as you do them.

Jerry
 
I have the fork adjuster screws turned in flush and have changed the fork oil. The change to the T-30 tire made a big difference. That seems to work well. Eventually I may do the forks if I decide to do some track days, but I'm not experiencing any inadequacies with them at this point.
 
Turning the fork adjuster screws in to flush with the top creates tighter springs--correct? Tighter springs = less movement, thus a harder ride?
 
White Dog_imp said:
Turning the fork adjuster screws in to flush with the top creates tighter springs--correct? Tighter springs = less movement, thus a harder ride?
Measure the length the preload screw depth (max) and you will see it's less than an inch (?) or so. My guess the spring isn't a high rate spring, so at most perhaps 50lbs preload or so. BL, I don't think dialing in the preload adjuster gets you a harse ride unless you weigh 135 lbs or so if you weigh over 200, I bet you like the ride improvement.

Jerry
 
Spend your time and money on suspension first. My outline is here on the forum someplace. How to Install Fork Springs

ECU flash or PCV will net you some minor improvements over the already very good Honda FI map. (others will likely disagree with my opinion... )
 
My PCV made probably one of my favourite differences in the rideability of the bike -- way better part throttle and tip-in than the stock EFI map.

That said, it's a tough choice. I still have stock front suspension and I think that having something with more than just preload adjustment would make a big difference in how much I like the bike.
My PCV made probably one of my favourite differences in the rideability of the bike -- way better part throttle and tip-in than the stock EFI map.

That said, it's a tough choice. I still have stock front suspension and I think that having something with more than just preload adjustment would make a big difference in how much I like the bike.
 
aschem_imp said:
Middle of winter; snow and ice everywhere and plenty of time to dream about CB100 stuff. Can't decide on getting front end upgrade (spings, valve emulators,) or my ECM re-flashed. I've already installed Ikon rear shocks and Arrow muffler. Let the voting begin.
 
spacetiger_imp said:
White Dog_imp said:
Turning the fork adjuster screws in to flush with the top creates tighter springs--correct? Tighter springs = less movement, thus a harder ride?
Measure the length the preload screw depth (max) and you will see it's less than an inch (?) or so. My guess the spring isn't a high rate spring, so at most perhaps 50lbs preload or so. BL, I don't think dialing in the preload adjuster gets you a harse ride unless you weigh 135 lbs or so if you weigh over 200, I bet you like the ride improvement.

Jerry
Measure the length the preload screw depth (max) and you will see it's less than an inch (?) or so. My guess the spring isn't a high rate spring, so at most perhaps 50lbs preload or so. BL, I don't think dialing in the preload adjuster gets you a harse ride unless you weigh 135 lbs or so if you weigh over 200, I bet you like the ride improvement.

Jerry Thanks. I'll try turning the screws in some and see if I notice a difference.
 
The ferret_imp said:
in lieu of that since you've already had the rear upgraded I'd do the forks. Rather have my bike handle well from 0-112 than handle poorly from 0-134
This is my vote as well.
 
Thread starter
Decided to go with Race Tech springs and they are less than $100 on Amazon. I'll have them installed them in April.
 
I had Maxton install all new suspension on my 14 model and it has totally transformed the handling. I was out today (14C !!) and did 140miles on mostly fast sweeping bends chasing a mate on his Fazer 1000 who, back in the day, lined up on the grid beside Sheene and Read, yes really, back in the 70's. Lets just say the CB performed better than might be expected in the circumstances! It is hard to describe the difference the new suspension has made except to say that the bike now feels secure and confident whereas before it felt nervous. I even have full confidence in the original Dunlop 205 tyres but I still need to assess them in the wet with this setup.
 
I don't know what about the handling needs to be transformed. My only issue ever was handled by turning in the fork adjuster screws and changing the front rubber to a T30.
 
Back
Top