What a bummer, for a while there we had a real American sport bike. I saw and heard them at the TT last year, pretty magnificent machines.
Erik Buell Racing Is Dead - Jalopnik
Erik Buell Racing Is Dead - Jalopnik
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Henry Ford's Model T started the trend away from motorcycles as basic transportation in the US long before the start of WWII. Although some urban areas and especially college towns may have motorcycles (mostly scooters) used as daily transport, Americans usually own bikes strictly for recreation.Henrik_imp said:That is a real pity. I really liked Buells, and was set to buy an XB12S. However, just then my company moved me to Singapore, and so when I got there unfortunately there was nobody importing them there. When I got back to Switzerland 4 years later I then started looking at the 1125CR instead as I thought they were great with the Rotax engines. Unfortunately it was not to be, because HD decided to shut down Buell before I got the chance to buy it.
There are many of these small bike manufacturers in Europe as well, and they all struggle. Luckily there are still enough enthusiasts around to give it a try from time to time!
Not being very familiar with the bike market in the US, I have to ask though when was the last period that bikes were for transportation there. It seems to me that basically since the end of WW2 the US has been purely a car country, and bikes have been for fun and sports with some small exceptions.
Henrik,Henrik_imp said:That is a real pity. I really liked Buells, and was set to buy an XB12S. However, just then my company moved me to Singapore, and so when I got there unfortunately there was nobody importing them there. When I got back to Switzerland 4 years later I then started looking at the 1125CR instead as I thought they were great with the Rotax engines. Unfortunately it was not to be, because HD decided to shut down Buell before I got the chance to buy it.
There are many of these small bike manufacturers in Europe as well, and they all struggle. Luckily there are still enough enthusiasts around to give it a try from time to time!
Not being very familiar with the bike market in the US, I have to ask though when was the last period that bikes were for transportation there. It seems to me that basically since the end of WW2 the US has been purely a car country, and bikes have been for fun and sports with some small exceptions.
Henrik,ChipBeck_imp said:Henrik,Henrik_imp said:That is a real pity. I really liked Buells, and was set to buy an XB12S. However, just then my company moved me to Singapore, and so when I got there unfortunately there was nobody importing them there. When I got back to Switzerland 4 years later I then started looking at the 1125CR instead as I thought they were great with the Rotax engines. Unfortunately it was not to be, because HD decided to shut down Buell before I got the chance to buy it.
There are many of these small bike manufacturers in Europe as well, and they all struggle. Luckily there are still enough enthusiasts around to give it a try from time to time!
Not being very familiar with the bike market in the US, I have to ask though when was the last period that bikes were for transportation there. It seems to me that basically since the end of WW2 the US has been purely a car country, and bikes have been for fun and sports with some small exceptions.
It's been about 90 years in the U.S. since motorcycles were seen as primary transportation. From 1900 to 1920 cars were rare, exotic, and expensive. Motorcycles were much cheaper to buy, own, and operate. They outsold cars by a big margin back then. Henry Ford was constantly improving assembly line efficiency and by the mid 1920's he was selling Model T's for $260, cheaper than any motorcycle. The vast majority of Americans chose cars, motorcycle sales plunged, and it's been that way ever since. Cheers.
Chip
Henrik:Henrik_imp said:That is what I thought, which is why I was a bit confused when JustPassinThru refered to "when motorcycles moved from being transportation to recreation...". My impression when visiting the US on a number of occasions has been that it has always been a car culture and bikes are just "for fun". Certainly here in Europe they are much more a transportation device, something that can be seen in pretty much any major city in Europe south of Scandinavia.