Early 80?s handlebar clamp

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Found this period correct clamp on EBay cheap.

Will polish it up and clear coat it again.




2ead158c370b3c5851a5a9006efbd009.jpg



f1ca791fa93ef02efbe2089efcfaf083.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
So- I am in the garage grinding away the clearcoat and imperfections...

Am I the only one anal enough to be bothered that it won’t mate evenly because the CB has oval bottom pieces?

Yah- that is not going to fly.....

More work. A little longer before update...



c6aa24099a1a6121cf992f5e20af4801.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
So- I am in the garage grinding away the clearcoat and imperfections...

Am I the only one anal enough to be bothered that it won’t mate evenly because the CB has oval bottom pieces?

Yah- that is not going to fly.....

More work. A little longer before update...



c6aa24099a1a6121cf992f5e20af4801.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're not the only one bothered by that.
 
Aww man, I had started to look at those. As cool as that mod looks, it would mess with my visual peace. Could you get the lower clamps from the same 80’s bike so it all lines up? It would be more pieces to clean up and repaint.
 
I wouldn't like I, but I don't have the skill to do much about it.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Aww man, I had started to look at those. As cool as that mod looks, it would mess with my visual peace. Could you get the lower clamps from the same 80’s bike so it all lines up? It would be more pieces to clean up and repaint.

Well- to be fair, that is the piece upside down with the stock cap sitting on it to etch a line.

When flipped over in proper position the new cap would overhang and most people probably wouldn’t notice.

I didn’t look back at the others clamps but they probably does this as well.

I’d have to see if there is a parts breakdown from almost 40 years ago.. but I’m going to guess the lower part back then was cast into the upper tree bridge.

I am just going to round off the lower corners to mate and try to blend best I can without going crazy.

No guts no glory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Huh. Thanks for the description, PowerDubs, and the closeup, Desert Viper. If the upper bridge overhangs the lower part, and you wouldn't see the difference, that's fine with me.

I had aftermarket risers on my last BMW, and they were close, but not a great match for the BMW parts. Since it's a part of the bike you tend to stare at when you glance down at the gauges, for some reason it just messed with my Feng Shui.

Desert, the way you have yours finished is how I'd want to do it. Looks great!
 
Desert viper_imp said:
Here is mine
Hi Desert Viper, a quick question.
Did you purposely omit the 4 chrome bolt caps or you like it better without the caps.

Regards
Alain Lee

On mine, the upper cap & lower bridge are flush (Perfect fit) Side to Side and Front to Back.
I guess HONDA can reuse older parts bins just like the horn.

6f4aa73759fbacc8693298fbc416cdd2.jpg



931e287d002eb66672817214063a4339.jpg
 
DV's version of the clamp is the one i saw on another bike i believe, as opposed to the one PowerD bought. it looks like it mates much more perfectly to the stock clamps. A+!
 
Thread starter
So far so good.

I am certainly no machinist, I am just using a bench vice, a socket to keep it somewhat lined up and a Milwaukee cordless drill with a grinding bit.

I do have two large 240 V compressors and a die grinder, but I don’t wanna make a lot of noise and bother my wife and honestly for something like this slower is probably better.




72dcb79fe90b53fab7f17d2f371504df.jpg

32c342999082e0aae3b36b922eba6c2b.jpg





Still need to do the other side and then polish before spraying the clear.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top