Houtman_imp
Road warrior
I agree with THINK , I spend my money on suspension , seat , engine guars , foot pegs , chain guard and CBX mirrors : safety- comfort- looks.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
In defence of the tinkerersTINK_imp said:I'm sorry to be the party pooper here; but I really don't understand the point of putting buckets of money into mods to increase the HP from 86 to 91 (6%) on a bike like the CB1100.
You want HP, there are plenty of other bikes out there that are smoking hot right out of the box; e.g. Kawi ZR900RS has 111 HP, stock, and it's a "retro" bike too.
It's your nickel, and you can spend it as you see fit, but my mod dollars were spent on suspension, not HP, thank you very much.

Not to offend you:hello:Ulvetanna_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Waldo_imp said:I just had my bike Dyno'd today. I have a TSR air funnel K&N air filter and a custom slip on exhaust from cone engineering. I had the mods on before the tune. The baseline was 86.39 hp and 68.22 torque and I ended up with 91.19 hp and 71.40 torque. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on getting my bike reflas he'd in the future to remove all the de tunes just to have a little more response and a little more on the top end doesn't hurt. My question is would another dyno be worth it after a reflash or will the reflash just improve upon my previous dyno?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband?

Any interest in cams? lolpeterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Ulvetanna_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Waldo_imp said:I just had my bike Dyno'd today. I have a TSR air funnel K&N air filter and a custom slip on exhaust from cone engineering. I had the mods on before the tune. The baseline was 86.39 hp and 68.22 torque and I ended up with 91.19 hp and 71.40 torque. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on getting my bike reflas he'd in the future to remove all the de tunes just to have a little more response and a little more on the top end doesn't hurt. My question is would another dyno be worth it after a reflash or will the reflash just improve upon my previous dyno?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dyno image BEFORE and after mods, otherwise not interested...
Generally agree with your statement ULA..makes logic sense...I used to modified 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago = history.
My point is , that aftermarket engine electronics offer so much bull poop in "increasing HP" that, I want other members to be aware of it, before $pending. Your bike, your time, your pleasure/satisfaction and money spent....is it worth it in this case?.. I someone tells me this: I have larger: valves, intake/exhaust ports, diameter exhaust pipes, higher volume fuel pump/injectors, different shape of combustion chamber, lighter pistons, with connecting rods, cams!! and completely reprogrammed ECM +++ more = big bak$ spent = for sure more power...now another issue comes into consideration:: pollution, heat/NOx.....and there we go again into another "argument" = friendly:hello:
Hope to talk to you soon
pb
I that that Honda did increase the power somewhat in the 2017 model — this would help offset the weight gain.Ulvetanna_imp said:Any interest in cams? lolpeterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Ulvetanna_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Waldo_imp said:I just had my bike Dyno'd today. I have a TSR air funnel K&N air filter and a custom slip on exhaust from cone engineering. I had the mods on before the tune. The baseline was 86.39 hp and 68.22 torque and I ended up with 91.19 hp and 71.40 torque. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on getting my bike reflas he'd in the future to remove all the de tunes just to have a little more response and a little more on the top end doesn't hurt. My question is would another dyno be worth it after a reflash or will the reflash just improve upon my previous dyno?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dyno image BEFORE and after mods, otherwise not interested...
Generally agree with your statement ULA..makes logic sense...I used to modified 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago = history.
My point is , that aftermarket engine electronics offer so much bull poop in "increasing HP" that, I want other members to be aware of it, before $pending. Your bike, your time, your pleasure/satisfaction and money spent....is it worth it in this case?.. I someone tells me this: I have larger: valves, intake/exhaust ports, diameter exhaust pipes, higher volume fuel pump/injectors, different shape of combustion chamber, lighter pistons, with connecting rods, cams!! and completely reprogrammed ECM +++ more = big bak$ spent = for sure more power...now another issue comes into consideration:: pollution, heat/NOx.....and there we go again into another "argument" = friendly:hello:
Hope to talk to you soon
pb
Not likely to be any real discussion about power mods for this bike. Not much can be done with it, except possibly cams.
The Triumph Hi-Torque 900 is a good example, though.
A company determined that engine is extremely understressed and have developed a set of cams that will produce nearly the same power as the T120 engine.
Only problem is the chassis cannot handle that power, and the bike only weighs a very few pounds less than the T120/Thruxton.
So just buy the Thruxton and get a bike designed to handle and be safely ridden with that power level, rather than destroy or compromise the handling and reliability of your 900.
Same would go for the CB1100. For SURE hotter cams could crank up the HP, and the engine could probably stand another 15 HP without any problem. But then we still have the issue of the old-school chassis and suspension.
Notice Honda did NOTHING in terms of increasing power on the '17 model. Just refinements to the powerband, suspension, and handling.
The bike just does not need, and cannot benefit from, any more power.
I agree . I sold a Turbo Busa and BMW R1200R to buy this bike and am very happy that i now have a bike that fits what i need and does it so well.peterbaron_imp said:If rider/owner is happy = lets keep it that way...:worship:
pb
I that that Honda did increase the power somewhat in the 2017 model — this would help offset the weight gain.Guth_imp said:I that that Honda did increase the power somewhat in the 2017 model — this would help offset the weight gain.Ulvetanna_imp said:Any interest in cams? lolpeterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Ulvetanna_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Waldo_imp said:I just had my bike Dyno'd today. I have a TSR air funnel K&N air filter and a custom slip on exhaust from cone engineering. I had the mods on before the tune. The baseline was 86.39 hp and 68.22 torque and I ended up with 91.19 hp and 71.40 torque. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on getting my bike reflas he'd in the future to remove all the de tunes just to have a little more response and a little more on the top end doesn't hurt. My question is would another dyno be worth it after a reflash or will the reflash just improve upon my previous dyno?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dyno image BEFORE and after mods, otherwise not interested...
Generally agree with your statement ULA..makes logic sense...I used to modified 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago = history.
My point is , that aftermarket engine electronics offer so much bull poop in "increasing HP" that, I want other members to be aware of it, before $pending. Your bike, your time, your pleasure/satisfaction and money spent....is it worth it in this case?.. I someone tells me this: I have larger: valves, intake/exhaust ports, diameter exhaust pipes, higher volume fuel pump/injectors, different shape of combustion chamber, lighter pistons, with connecting rods, cams!! and completely reprogrammed ECM +++ more = big bak$ spent = for sure more power...now another issue comes into consideration:: pollution, heat/NOx.....and there we go again into another "argument" = friendly:hello:
Hope to talk to you soon
pb
Not likely to be any real discussion about power mods for this bike. Not much can be done with it, except possibly cams.
The Triumph Hi-Torque 900 is a good example, though.
A company determined that engine is extremely understressed and have developed a set of cams that will produce nearly the same power as the T120 engine.
Only problem is the chassis cannot handle that power, and the bike only weighs a very few pounds less than the T120/Thruxton.
So just buy the Thruxton and get a bike designed to handle and be safely ridden with that power level, rather than destroy or compromise the handling and reliability of your 900.
Same would go for the CB1100. For SURE hotter cams could crank up the HP, and the engine could probably stand another 15 HP without any problem. But then we still have the issue of the old-school chassis and suspension.
Notice Honda did NOTHING in terms of increasing power on the '17 model. Just refinements to the powerband, suspension, and handling.
The bike just does not need, and cannot benefit from, any more power.
I don't begrudge anyone who wants to focus on increasing the power of the CB1100. Even if the gains seem rather small for the money invested, it if makes someone happy and they still enjoy all the other aspects that this bike brings to the table then more power to them (pun fully intended).
Also, while someone might not see too much difference on the dyno chart from adding a device like a power commander, I do believe that the changes that they feel when riding the bike are more significant. From that standpoint I can understand this mod in particular.
So easy to work on 2 strokes!peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Ulvetanna_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Waldo_imp said:I just had my bike Dyno'd today. I have a TSR air funnel K&N air filter and a custom slip on exhaust from cone engineering. I had the mods on before the tune. The baseline was 86.39 hp and 68.22 torque and I ended up with 91.19 hp and 71.40 torque. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on getting my bike reflas he'd in the future to remove all the de tunes just to have a little more response and a little more on the top end doesn't hurt. My question is would another dyno be worth it after a reflash or will the reflash just improve upon my previous dyno?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dyno image BEFORE and after mods, otherwise not interested...
Generally agree with your statement ULA..makes logic sense...I used to modified 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago = history.
My point is , that aftermarket engine electronics offer so much bull poop in "increasing HP" that, I want other members to be aware of it, before $pending. Your bike, your time, your pleasure/satisfaction and money spent....is it worth it in this case?.. I someone tells me this: I have larger: valves, intake/exhaust ports, diameter exhaust pipes, higher volume fuel pump/injectors, different shape of combustion chamber, lighter pistons, with connecting rods, cams!! and completely reprogrammed ECM +++ more = big bak$ spent = for sure more power...now another issue comes into consideration:: pollution, heat/NOx.....and there we go again into another "argument" = friendly:hello:
Hope to talk to you soon
pb
PowerDubs_imp said:Quote:89 HP vs. 86 HP
Honda Motor Co.,Ltd.|Honda Global Corporate Website
Both rated at 66KW @ 7,500
The new bikes actually make less tq, at a higher rpm than the old ones..
Of course this is all from script from publications.
The real way to know would be to have 2 stock bikes, one old, one new, on the same day, same shop- dyno them.
The motor is 100% the same. All that changed is the intake boot on the airbox (part that people remove for the TSR plate) and the ECU tuning.
Cams are where the power is hiding in this engine.
Every other mod is fluff in the real world- meaning yes a muffler, decat, or tune might get you couple more hp but not enough to win the race against a rider who is only slightly better or even slightly lighter - if even just a drag race.
A few hp gain can easily be 'lost' depending on where your shift points are, rider weight, a moments hesitation, etc..and that is not even taking into account the 'launch' if at a dragstrip or red light.
To truly have a bike that can beat the other bikes consistently and somewhat easily- cams are what needs to be done...as well as more aggressive gearing.
All that being said- and I am an engine hot rodder at heart (none of my stuff ever stays stock)... on this bike it is all just for fun.
Could someone be the hottest CB1100 ever? Sure- and then get passed by some kid on a stock (just about anything else)...who isn't even trying.
That being said- I still do enjoy seeing what I can get out of things.
Those centipedes are real dangerous. Almost as dangerous as the amount of dough you can pour into a motorcycle!Banned_imp said:I spent a lot of $ customizing my '03 Harley, most of for either comfort, versatility or power - very little on just plain cosmetic changes.
It took me 10 years to get it the way I want it buying a few parts every winter and installing before spring. Counting the sidecar I estimate i have put an additional $25,000 into since I bought it new. But it was the only hobby I had outside of the Army so I don't regret a penny of it.
Of course now that it's perfect I can't ride it very long because of my back. Such is life.
War story (for Used2b) - when I was in Somalia in '92-93 we used to bet on scorpion fights. I had a champion I named Festus, he won all fights until someone threw a centipede into the "ring" with him. The centipede's whole head opened up into a giant mouth (think the movie Tremors) and promptly chomped off Festus' head. After that we killed all centipedes we saw. I still can't talk about the camel spiders.
So easy to work on 2 strokes!SportsterDoc_imp said:So easy to work on 2 strokes!peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Ulvetanna_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:peterbaron_imp said:Not to offend you:hello:Waldo_imp said:I just had my bike Dyno'd today. I have a TSR air funnel K&N air filter and a custom slip on exhaust from cone engineering. I had the mods on before the tune. The baseline was 86.39 hp and 68.22 torque and I ended up with 91.19 hp and 71.40 torque. I'm pretty happy with the results. I plan on getting my bike reflas he'd in the future to remove all the de tunes just to have a little more response and a little more on the top end doesn't hurt. My question is would another dyno be worth it after a reflash or will the reflash just improve upon my previous dyno?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband?
theoretically.. 4.8 HP & 3.18 torque more = :rofl: = sorry, but for me not worth digging (compared to baseline). How much did you spend on mods?
I'd like to see results BEFORE mods, for further assessment please.
:beerchug:
pb The benefit is in cleaning up throttle response, reducing driveline lash (fuel cut eliminated) and popping, more efficiency, and generally improving the rideability of the bike. A little bit more power but an improved power band can really help the feel of the bike.
That said, I never did get around to sending my ECU to Don Guhl because the 2013, mine anyway, ran very well.
I would not want to think I'd have to reflash a 2017 to cure any problems. I hope they've gotten that sorted out with the Euro 4 and so on.
How about an image of the dyno run to see the entire powerband? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Dyno image BEFORE and after mods, otherwise not interested...
Generally agree with your statement ULA..makes logic sense...I used to modified 2-stroke engines with very great results (much cheaper/easier than 4-strokes)....four decades ago = history.
My point is , that aftermarket engine electronics offer so much bull poop in "increasing HP" that, I want other members to be aware of it, before $pending. Your bike, your time, your pleasure/satisfaction and money spent....is it worth it in this case?.. I someone tells me this: I have larger: valves, intake/exhaust ports, diameter exhaust pipes, higher volume fuel pump/injectors, different shape of combustion chamber, lighter pistons, with connecting rods, cams!! and completely reprogrammed ECM +++ more = big bak$ spent = for sure more power...now another issue comes into consideration:: pollution, heat/NOx.....and there we go again into another "argument" = friendly:hello:
Hope to talk to you soon
pb
Before Yamaha utilized reed valves on the intake (1972?), a fair amount of HP was easily gained by skirting the intake side of the piston by ~1/4 inch and by replacing a stock exhaust with an expansion chamber.
Thanks for the walk down memory lane.