Best performance "mod" ever

Bheezy27403_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Throughout my riding career most of my rides get upgrades whether it be for appearance or for performance. I'm always looking to make it "mine" and if I can squeeze a little more juice than the designers sent it out with, good for me. For example my '08 T-100 left the factory with 55ish HP. With a few minimal tweaks she put down 69 on the dyno. I haven't done anything to the CB yet performance-wise. I put on a different slip-on for sound purposes. When I do the full header system this winter I suppose it will add a little extra pep but I'm not doing it for performance. I have a 15 tooth front sprocket to go on and it will add a bit of acceleration but it can't really be called a "performance mod". So the CB has pretty much, give or take, the same HP now as it did when it landed on our shores sometime in 2013.

I have recently, however, managed to seemingly increase the performance of the Big Girl quite substantially. Now, this "mod" is not for everyone and was not cheap relatively speaking but the power just pours through the smooth I4 like it never has to date. The front wheel is waaaay lighter and the torque immediate from top to bottom. You'll find yourself blasting through the gears as your arms strain to hang on.

What is this incredible, profound, power addition you ask?

Go get yourself a single cylinder CBR300R. After 500 or so miles on the tiny thumper the first ride on the CB was eye opening. It took me a couple tries to get the Big Girl off her sidestand but once she got moving, dang that's a difference! You can thank me later for your seemingly boundless HP of your current CB.
 
PB: I sense you and a partial acceptance of the RLET.

The Force is indeed strong this evening, eh Popgun?






(What the heck is going on?)
 
Indeed it is. :)
 
I call that good thinking, Bheezy.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Do you have'em installed on ST as well??
Yes I do! :D

And I have spare set. Just in case.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Do you have'em installed on ST as well??
Yes I do! :D

And I have spare set. Just in case.
Yes I do! :D

And I have spare set. Just in case.
...spare???, never thought of that approach...... am thinking of ordering spare as well, as the first step of unknown destination :D
PS where to order a set from??
 
Stock CB1100 has more getup and go than I can fully utilize. My rpms hardly ever go above 4k , but when they do .... wooppee :)
 
bflint_imp said:
Stock CB1100 has more getup and go than I can fully utilize. My rpms hardly ever go above 4k , but when they do .... wooppee :)
Agree! While no one would ever turn down more power, the CB is far from inadequate even in stock form. HP can also be pretty subjective, in the late 70's/early 80's, 87-89 HP would darn near be superbike numbers!

I had just about every mod you could think of to my 2012 Thruxton, short of cams and a big bore kit and the CB would run circles around that bike. On the highway the CB settles in confidently at 85 mph, very smooth and not breaking a sweat whereas my Triumph would be nearing 6k rpms and ringing my ears. My Ducati is also modified and the CB isn't as fast, but it wouldn't get butchered either. The CB just does everything so good, its easy to be the favorite. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
I'm going to the 15 tooth front. Almost put it on yesterday but rebuilt the brakes on my CR80rb instead. Which, of course, my 2 hr project turned into a 4 hr project.

Does the sprocket make it noticeably busier at highway speeds? 75-80 mph?
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I'm going to the 15 tooth front. Almost put it on yesterday but rebuilt the brakes on my CR80rb instead. Which, of course, my 2 hr project turned into a 4 hr project.

Does the sprocket make it noticeably busier at highway speeds? 75-80 mph?
Not if your standard front sprocket is 14T ( like my 2013 cast wheel ). In other words you will increase the speed for given revs or do less rpm for a given speed.

Cheers
 
Back
Top