Duplicate VIN numbers?

daley_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I received several pms wondering if I sold my bike as someone else posted in the registry they have a 2013 model with vin 0020. I haven't sold my garage queen. I took a pic of the vin but it is too large to post. Here is my complete vin number. Hope the other person will do the same so we can compare. That would be bizarre to have two bikes with the exact same number.

My vin is: JH2******DK000020

daley
 
Daley we have seen several pairs with the same 4 last digits although I am guessing the first 13 are different, due to year, country it was sold in etc.

Cormanus is our go to guy on all things Vin so I assume he will be along shortly for a comment.

I edited your complete vin because I don't think it wise to put your complete vin out there. I would think the first 3 digits might be the ones that are different. Lets see what pops up and go from there.

If someone has the same last 4 digits they can pm you or you can pm them.
 
Daley PM forum member gossman. ( thanks papa for the reminder)
 
Kind of you, Ferret. I'm no expert on VINs, but, from what I've read, I'd be very surprised if there could be 2 CB1100s of the same year made for the North American market that have the same VIN. Indeed it's got me wondering about another couple in the registry.

I've included both entries on the Register, but I'll PM the two owners again.
 
I think there were two with the 0010 vin too
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think there were two with the 0010 vin too
I remember those. I believe they were from different countries/regions.

The VIN has digits corresponding to manufacturer, model, year, country/region and serial number. If you find the last six digits (serial) to be the same, chances are that there will be a difference in the year, model or country/region digit.
 
daley_imp said:
I received several pms wondering if I sold my bike as someone else posted in the registry they have a 2013 model with vin 0020. I haven't sold my garage queen. I took a pic of the vin but it is too large to post. Here is my complete vin number. Hope the other person will do the same so we can compare. That would be bizarre to have two bikes with the exact same number.

My vin is: JH2******DK000020

daley
Here is mine, JH2SC***3DK000020

Mine is an ABS model manufacture date of 1/13

The plot thickens :biker:
 
I think you're right, Flynrider. I also think all North American VINs ought to be unique—in other words, there should be no duplication between the US and Canada. But I'm not completely sure about that. I've sent PMs to both Gossman and Daley so I can see if I can work it out.
 
uote='Cormanus' pid='57267' dateline='1409364203']
I think you're right, Flynrider. I also think all North American VINs ought to be unique—in other words, there should be no duplication between the US and Canada. But I'm not completely sure about that. I've sent PMs to both Gossman and Daley so I can see if I can work it out.
[/QUOTE]




No risk of duplicates. Here is how it all works

How to Decode the VIN Number on a Honda Motorcycle
All vehicle manufacturers use an internationally agreed set of codes. This system is much better than the old days when each used their own numbering .

Now the numbers mean something to anyone aroind the world who needs to know.
who made it, what model, what factory in what country etc etc. Invaluable for parts and service because subtle differences occur between countries and plants who make the same model. This is more relevant in cars because they have multiple plants e.g. Toyota Camry in about 6 countries.

FYI I have spent over 30 years in the car industry and we lived by those numbers.
 
Vic, do you know where I might find a comprehensive list of Honda model codes?

Anyone else?
 
Thanks, Vic and Randy.

JH2 tells us the bike was built in Japan by Honda and is a motorbike. SC65 tells us it's a CB1100. The next number/letter is the key to this. Randy in your case it's a '1'. The next number, your '3' is a checksum for making sure it's a valid VIN. So, what I'm trying to figure out is what Honda uses that 8th digit to tell itself or us. Like you, Randy, I thought it might have to do with ABS, but it doesn't look like it.

I can't lay hands on it again at the moment, but I read earlier that SC65 also tells us about the nature and capacity of the bike. I'll post the link when I can find it again.

Thanks again for your help. I'll hunt some more tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
Looks like there is a difference. The 9th digit is different. Don't know what the 9th digit signifies. Be nice if someone could figure this out.
My vin: JH2SC***7DK000020
Gossman's vin:JH2SC***3DK000020
Have a good one all.
daley
 
At least we all now know that Daley and I have separate motorcycles. I was afraid that there was some sort of Twilight Zone thing going on :D
 
Maybe the Vin registration should be the 9th character on instead of the last four? ;)

I found this and I apologize if this was covered in a link already.

How to decode the VIN number

Quote:How to decode the VIN number

NOTE: This info is based upon my short research on the topic. Info like the WMI is decribed in ISO 3780 (which you must pay for). The year code is decribed in ISO 3779.

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is composed of 17 characters. The standard was originally defined in ISO Standard 3779 in February of 1977. Then it was revised in 1983. The ISO VIN is designed to identify motor vehicles of all kinds: cars, trucks, busses, motorcycles etc.

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) contains three major sections:WMI - World Manufacturer Identifier (1,2,3 characters in VIN structure) If the manufacturer builds less than 500 vehicles per year than the third digit is "9". The WMI is described in detail in ISO 3780.VDS - Vehicle Description Section. It contains 6 characters (4th to 9th positions in VIN) and defines vehicle attributes specified by manufacturer.VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section. The last 8 characters of VIN define Year, manufacturer plant and serial (sequential) number of the vehicle.The last four characters shall be numeric. The 10th position of the Vehicle Identification Number is a YEAR CODE.

ISO recommends that in VIN code capital letters A to Z and numbers 1 to 0 may be used, excluding I,O and Q in order to avoid mistakes of misread. No signs and spaces are allowed in Vehicle Identification Number code. 
***********************************************

Recap with examples:

Digits 1,2,3 are World, Manufacturer, Identifier
Digits 4,5,6,7,8 are Vehicle descriptor Section -- *Somewhat variable based on manufacturer.
Digit 9 is the check digit
Digit 10 is the Year code
Digit 11 is the Factory code
Digits 12,13,14,15,16,17 are the Vehicle Identification Sequence


Let's see how this splits:



First digit - Country code
U.S.A.(1 or 4), Canada (2), Mexico (3), Japan (J), Korea (K), England (S), Germany (W), Italy (Z)

Second digit - Manufacturer
Audi (A), BMW (B), Buick (4), Cadillac (6), Chevrolet (1), Chrysler ©, Dodge (B), Ford (F), GM Canada (7), General Motors (G), Honda (H), Jaguar (A), Lincoln (L), Mercedes Benz (D), Mercury (M), Nissan (N), Oldsmobile (3), Pontiac (2 or 5), Plymouth (P), Saturn (8 ), Toyota (T), Volvo (V), Suzuki (S), Kawasaki (K).

Third digit - Identifier
Motorcycle (1 or A) Kawasaki and Suzuki seem to follow this anyway

Fourth digit - Vehicle category
Data here is Suzuki specific, haven't found info for other brands.
Scooter ©, Business model or commuter (B), Single cylinder sport/street (N), Multiple cylinder sport/street (G), Family (F), Off road (S), V-Type engine, street, V2/V4/V6/8,... (V), Square Four (H)

Fifth digit - Engine Displacement
Data here is Suzuki specific, haven't found info for other brands.
A=49cc and less
B=50-69cc
C=70-79cc
D=80-89cc
E=90-99cc
F=100-124cc
G=125-149cc
H=150-199cc
J=200-249cc
K=250-399cc
M=400-499cc
N=500-599cc
P=600-699cc
R=700-749cc
S=750-849cc
T=850-999cc
U=1000-1099cc
V=1100-1199cc
W=1200-1299cc
Y=1400-1499cc
Z=1500 & up

Sixth digit - Engine Type
Data here is Suzuki specific, haven't found info for other brands.
1=2 stroke single
2=2 stroke twin
3=2 stroke triple or four
4=4 stroke single
5=4 stroke twin
6=?
7=4 stroke four

Seventh digit
Data here is Suzuki specific, haven't found info for other brands.
Design sequence or model version first version uses 1 then second version uses 2 etc... the tenth version would then be identified by the letter A then B etc..

Eigth digit
Data here is Suzuki specific, haven't found info for other brands.
First version uses 1 then second version uses 2 etc... the tenth version would then be identified by the letter A then B etc...

Ninth digit - Check digit
The ninth vehicle identification number digit is a VIN accuracy check digit, verifying the previous VIN numbers. This is how the check digit works


STEP 1
Assign to each number in the VIN its actual mathematical value and assign to each letter the value specified for it in the following chart:
ASSIGNED VALUES:
A=1 G=7 P=7 X=7
B=2 H=8 R=9 Y=8
C=3 J=1 S=2 Z=9
D=4 K=2 T=3
E=5 M=3 U=4
F=6 N=4 V=5


STEP 2
Multiply the assigned value for each character in the VIN by the position weight factor specified in the following chart:
VIN POSITION AND WEIGHT FACTOR:
1st = 8 10th = 9
2nd = 7 11th = 8
3rd = 6 12th = 7
4th = 5 13th = 6
5th = 4 14th = 5
6th = 3 15th = 4
7th = 2 16th = 3
8th = 10 17th = 2
9th = check digit

STEP 3
Add the products from steps 1 and 2 and divide the total by 11.

STEP 4
The numerical remainder is the check digit which would appear in the 9th position in the VIN. If the remainder is 10, then the letter "X" is used for the check digit.


Tenth digit - Year Code
80(A), 81(B), 82©, 83(D), 84(E),
85(F), 86(G), 87(H), 88(J), 89(K),
90(L), 91(M), 92(N), 93(P), 94®,
95(S), 96(T), 97(V), 98(W), 99(X),
00(Y), 01(1), 02(2), 03(3), 04(4),
05(5), 06(6), 07(7), 08(8 ), 09(9) ( Don't know what happens after that )

Eleventh digit - Factory Code
Manufacturer code for what plant it was built in

Twelfth to Seventeenth digits - Serial Number

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
daley_imp said:
Looks like there is a difference. The 9th digit is different. Don't know what the 9th digit signifies. Be nice if someone could figure this out.
My vin: JH2SC***7DK000020
Gossman's vin:JH2SC***3DK000020
Have a good one all.
daley
Is only the 9th digit different, Daley, or is the 8th as well? Perhaps it's JH2SC**17DK000020?
 
Back
Top