Ducati

jimgl3_imp

Been there
Thread starter
anyone tried to buy a Ducati? good luck. it's the most ridiculous thing I think I've ever experienced. We should have some coming in, but don't know when, but we'll take a deposit. when it comes in you'll have 3 days to get here and purchase it or it goes to the next guy/gal. don't they know people work? I've already missed out on one because I couldn't get off work. I want to tell them to take the bike and stick it, but that would be shooting myself in the foot.
 
Might be the best thing that ever happened to you (missing out on a Duc). My son has one. Ducati Monster 696. Bought brand new in 2009. He has 2 names for it (1) his " 50 mile bike" ... because he won't ride it more than 50 miles from home...round trip and (2) his "Italian Harley" because of the oil leaks and electrical problems.

I hear there are guys that consider Ducati's as reliable as Japanese bikes. My son isn't one of them. If he actually wants to go someplace he rides his Yamaha.
 
LR, I believe the dilemma is that even if you leave a deposit, you have 3 days to get there once the bike arrives or you lose it. My current job is pretty cool about taking leave with a short notice, but people like my dad would be laughed out of the office if they asked for PTO on such a short time frame.
 
You won’t be legally bound to the bike unless you sign a purchase agreement at the time you place your deposit. If so, when the bike arrives, the dealer might charge you a storage fee after three days (if you agree to that), but otherwise the bike is yours. If you don’t sign a purchase agreement, the dealer is legally obligated to refund you. If not, your state’s Attorney General would like to hear from you.
 
I dont know if thats a ducati thing per se...my local ducati dealer also deals honda and bmw and their deposit/reservation system is nothing like what you described. It sounds like its just a bad dealer with bad policies.
 
Ferret's comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a lady a while back. I was admiring a Ducati at a cars & coffee near my house. A lady walked up to it, and we chatted a bit. Turns out she was 72, had been riding for years. She said that she sensed she wouldn't be able to ride for very many more years, and wanted her last bike to be something really fun. Gotta admire that!

I asked her how she liked it. She bought it new, and had been riding it for six months. When I asked her about reliability, she said it was excellent. "So far, it's got a few thousand miles on it, and I've only had to replace the starter and a few other things."
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ferret's comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a lady a while back. I was admiring a Ducati at a cars & coffee near my house. A lady walked up to it, and we chatted a bit. Turns out she was 72, had been riding for years. She said that she sensed she wouldn't be able to ride for very many more years, and wanted her last bike to be something really fun. Gotta admire that!

I asked her how she liked it. She bought it new, and had been riding it for six months. When I asked her about reliability, she said it was excellent. "So far, it's got a few thousand miles on it, and I've only had to replace the starter and a few other things."
WOW, this is an excellent news for her... by 15000 miles, she will still have a brand new bike....well, maybe tires excluded!
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ferret's comment reminds me of a conversation I had with a lady a while back. I was admiring a Ducati at a cars & coffee near my house. A lady walked up to it, and we chatted a bit. Turns out she was 72, had been riding for years. She said that she sensed she wouldn't be able to ride for very many more years, and wanted her last bike to be something really fun. Gotta admire that!

I asked her how she liked it. She bought it new, and had been riding it for six months. When I asked her about reliability, she said it was excellent. "So far, it's got a few thousand miles on it, and I've only had to replace the starter and a few other things."
Ha, ha. Notice how the first thing to go was "electrical-related". Ducati are at least consistent.

Granny on a Ducati - I wish I could have seen that.
 
LongRangerette was riding this 620 Monster when she was 72-74, but no more.

The bike let us down only once, when the clutch interlock switch failed and we couldn’t get the bike started in gear (we thought it was in neutral but it was between gears). Oh, and the APTC clutch was a hair-trigger POS. But otherwise, it was a great bike and definitely punched above its weight.

b7d836904ca43861f26bfc47a833725b.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
Might be the best thing that ever happened to you (missing out on a Duc). My son has one. Ducati Monster 696. Bought brand new in 2009. He has 2 names for it (1) his " 50 mile bike" ... because he won't ride it more than 50 miles from home...round trip and (2) his "Italian Harley" because of the oil leaks and electrical problems.

I hear there are guys that consider Ducati's as reliable as Japanese bikes. My son isn't one of them. If he actually wants to go someplace he rides his Yamaha.

Have they not improved since VW bought Ducati in 2012?
 
Maybe. I don't know. One would hope.
 
Back in 1983 as a student (electronic engineering) I had a Ducati 500 cc twin for 2-3 months.
I was in love and had to have it. Then I learned my lessions:
1. Other than the Japanese motorcycles, I had before, it did not start after a night outside..
2. Standing few days outside it developed rust at many places
3. At the first multiple day trip, at the second day the left piston went stuck, the piston rod broke and sliced up the cylinder wall.
(I discovered that after trailering it home and disassembling.)
Well, that was a total loss.
I have been cured since then.
 
Django_imp said:
Back in 1983 as a student (electronic engineering) I had a Ducati 500 cc twin for 2-3 months.
I was in love and had to have it. Then I learned my lessions:
1. Other than the Japanese motorcycles, I had before, it did not start after a night outside..
2. Standing few days outside it developed rust at many places
3. At the first multiple day trip, at the second day the left piston went stuck, the piston rod broke and sliced up the cylinder wall.
(I discovered that after trailering it home and disassembling.)
Well, that was a total loss.
I have been cured since then.
:dodgy: #2 and #3 must have been such a disappointment.

I had #3 happen to my Yamaha RD400. No fault of Yamaha though. I eventually got the little ol' two stroke lump rebuilt.
 
Local Ducati dealer near me has had no new inventory on the floor in a while...they also sell BMW and Triumph of which the showroom is full along with a bunch of Royal Enfields.

I don't know where Ducati is going, back in the 80's when i became acquainted with the brand i never would have dreamed they would be building something like the diavel or multistrada....851, 888, 916...ect all classics and highly sought after.

Recent Build quality is fine, i had a 2012 Monster 1100evo for a while and it was a great bike...absolute shame they never built an SS chassis around that powerplant.
 
This may be an issue that is more specifically related to Ducati dealers in the US. I have not found there is any such problem here in Switzerland.

As for reliability, it is true that Ducati does have a long-standing reputation for being a problem. Honestly, I can't say that was my experience. I had a 2000 Ducatis ST2 which is probably the best bike I ever had. I rode it all year round, in sun, in rain, and even in the snow a couple of times. In winter, on salty roads, I would give it a wash a bit more often, but there was never any rust or oxidization. I had it for four years and rode absolutely everywhere, and every day. For me, it was the perfect touring bike, and commuter to go to work each day. Maybe I just got lucky.

On the other hand, the Honda Varadero that I had just before, and traded in for the Ducati, was one of the worst bikes I have had. After one winter it looked terrible with oxidized metal parts all over. The engine was replaced after three months, and I regularly had small nagging problems with it. For that one, I think I just got unlucky.

Last year I was looking at getting a Ducati Scrambler 1100, but in the end, preferred the Triumph Scrambler 1200. But I really did like the Ducati Scrambler, and the dealer was very good all through my tests and other discussions. Before that, I had also been looking very closely at the Ducati Super Sport, which again I found amazing.

I certainly would not hesitate to get another Ducati someday if the right bike for me comes out.
 
m in sc_imp said:
local dealer in charlotte had plenty of stock a few weeks ago when i was there. Having had 3 750 monsters in my garage and my favorite, an 09 sport classic biposto, I -never- had reliability issues, also didnt find it hard to service myself, including belts or valve adjustments.

Only issue the sc had was a defective regulator, but i got a new one the 1st week i had it, was a known issue. had it 9 years, rode the snot out of it. sold it and havent really missed it...

but i do have a hankering for another carbureted 750 monster. None of the new stuff I looked at really appealed to me.

thats been pretty much my experience as well.

charging systems are known to be weak and aftermarket fixes are readily available

I dont really like any of their new bikes, very capable machines no doubt but the visual appeal is not there like it was with the earlier bikes. After the 1098/1198 you can keep up, the newer liquid cooled SuperSport was a major disappointment for me
Henrik_imp said:
This may be an issue that is more specifically related to Ducati dealers in the US. I have not found there is any such problem here in Switzerland.

As for reliability, it is true that Ducati does have a long-standing reputation for being a problem. Honestly, I can't say that was my experience. I had a 2000 Ducatis ST2 which is probably the best bike I ever had. I rode it all year round, in sun, in rain, and even in the snow a couple of times. In winter, on salty roads, I would give it a wash a bit more often, but there was never any rust or oxidization. I had it for four years and rode absolutely everywhere, and every day. For me, it was the perfect touring bike, and commuter to go to work each day. Maybe I just got lucky.

On the other hand, the Honda Varadero that I had just before, and traded in for the Ducati, was one of the worst bikes I have had. After one winter it looked terrible with oxidized metal parts all over. The engine was replaced after three months, and I regularly had small nagging problems with it. For that one, I think I just got unlucky.

Last year I was looking at getting a Ducati Scrambler 1100, but in the end, preferred the Triumph Scrambler 1200. But I really did like the Ducati Scrambler, and the dealer was very good all through my tests and other discussions. Before that, I had also been looking very closely at the Ducati Super Sport, which again I found amazing.

I certainly would not hesitate to get another Ducati someday if the right bike for me comes out.
Here in the US the used market is full of Ducati's....people put them up for sale usually right before they are due for a full service
 
Back
Top