Dryspec D20 Soft Saddlebags

cookiemech

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm making a list of items I "need" for the 2017 EX I'm thinking of buying, and one really essential one (after a tankbag) is a set of soft saddlebags. Were this my only motorcycle, I'd investigate hard bags, but since it's not, I prefer the look of a naked bike most of the time.

I did a couple of searches and see positive opinions on the Tourmaster Select (these seem small) and the Cortech Super 2.0 (larger); both of these apparently fit without turn signal relocation (I'm not going to do that for appearance reasons).

Has anyone fitted the Dryspec D20 bags from Twisted Throttle (they show these as applicable to the CB1100)? I like the waterproofness and the appearance (for my purposes).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/drys...drybag-saddle-bag-system-in-black-grey-orange
 
I have the Cortech 2.0 and they fit well without having to relocate the indicators , just compare the dimensions between the two.
If too long it will compromise your room on your seat.
 
My wife and I each have the Dryspec duffle bag, but not the saddlebags. We've had them for 5 years. They are still watertight and the straps and related clips show no signs of wear. Since the saddle bags are the same material and use the same closure method and mounting hardware, I would think that they would work similarly as well.

I will say that the opening on the roll-top is not as wide as I would have liked it. I do not think that is an issue on the saddlebags.
 
I've a couple of SW-Motech duffle bags that I've had for some years and they are fantastic. Just strap one to the seat.
 
This might be drifting off the subject a bit, but a few months ago I bought this bag from the local Louis dealer:

I found the bag to be extremely versatile, especially for those short trips involving overnight stays on the way. Everything stays so neat in it. Got a rainproof cover too. Using the seat attachment straps it can be worn like a back pack, and being exactly cabin luggage size, no problem on planes either. Actually I'll be taking this bag to my upcoming Caribbean winter holiday :banana:
While the same brand might not be available everywhere, it's definitely worth consideration, alone or as an addition to saddlebags.
 
Thread starter
Hmmm . . . seeing a lot of support for duffel bags to be strapped on the passenger part of the saddle. I suppose an advantage is that they have the potential for holding more volume than saddlebags.

I have a lot of experience with "real" touring bikes (have two BMWs and two Harleys, plus a KLR, all with big hard saddlebags) and like carrying weight lower on the bike, as well as being able to swing my leg over the saddle instead of picking it up and pulling it over the front of the saddle (though it's exactly what I have to do on my Road Glide Ultra due to the top box). The CB1100 would return me to the days when I had an XS650 Yamaha or a Triumph Bonneville (a real one, the kind that you could see through). Neither of those had any provision for carrying anything, including my lunch, so I had to improvise. My memory is dim, but I seem to recall putting some sort of soft saddlebags on the Triumph so I could make a trip back in 1982 . . .

So my question is whether the consensus is that it's "better" to have a set of soft saddlebags or just a duffel for the occasional overnight trip. This clearly would not be my only or my main bike; I just want the option of riding it more than 100 miles from home.
 
I’ve not noticed a huge difference in my bike’s handling with my gear stowed high on the bike, but there is a difference. I’ve never had saddlebags, so I am only comparing loaded vs unloaded handling.

I think it’s easier to deal with one larger bag than two smaller ones at hotels or other overnight stops, but that’s just me. I have a rear rack now, so if I carry a second bag it’s mounted behind or in front of the first so I have no problem getting on or off the bike.

I don’t think there’s a best type of luggage. The top-mounted duffel works for me. Saddlebags may work for you. I only mentioned my duffel to give you my review of Dryspec’s products.
 
I run soft bags, a tank bag, and a tail bag

f953cf7d4c2d2ccbe3480d1239ba9f61.jpg


The bags are small, but I know how to pack small. Over the years I have refined my list of what I need and don't need, for a couple of weeks on the road (indefinitely really) and it easily fits in this set up.

3d8e0043f3d9e2fb211046694ffe71a6.jpg


I stand on the downside peg to mount swinging my leg over the tail pack OR just karate kick thru the gap between tailpack and tank bag lol.



.
 
Note: pay close attention to side turn signal location w/ saddle bag selection.

With the Dryspec saddles....I think they're too wide, but I could be wrong...


vs...say, Ferret's saddlebags.
7876d481e620a99ba01c4d2814895934.jpg


Yes, his looks narrow, but, imo,that's about as wide as we can go w/o having to relocate the side turn signals.

Since you're lookint at Twisted gear, have you seen the dedicated street saddlebags for retro street bikes? SW MOTECH'S LEGEND bags...


This is what I think would work, but not sure if the width is going to interfere w/ the turn signals & your leg situation...


only way to find out is to fit one up, and
twisted throttle will refund / exchange w/o any drama.


cookiemech_imp said:
I'm making a list of items I "need" for the 2017 EX I'm thinking of buying, and one really essential one (after a tankbag) is a set of soft saddlebags. Were this my only motorcycle, I'd investigate hard bags, but since it's not, I prefer the look of a naked bike most of the time.

I did a couple of searches and see positive opinions on the Tourmaster Select (these seem small) and the Cortech Super 2.0 (larger); both of these apparently fit without turn signal relocation (I'm not going to do that for appearance reasons).

Has anyone fitted the Dryspec D20 bags from Twisted Throttle (they show these as applicable to the CB1100)? I like the waterproofness and the appearance (for my purposes).

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/drys...drybag-saddle-bag-system-in-black-grey-orange
 
Those Legend bags look nice Jedd. :thumbsup:
 
I frequently leave soft saddlebags on my bikes for daily use - grocery store, rain suit, work clothes and supplement them for trips with a small to mid size duffel bag that straps behind me.
Just haven't ever found hard bags that look good enough when installed to justify the expense.

that moto detail bag is interesting.
 
Either one works, but I chose to do a simple duffel.
I got the waterproof version.
WIth the roll down opening, the bag can collapse or expand
to tightly fit the volume required.

cookiemech_imp said:
Hmmm . . . seeing a lot of support for duffel bags to be strapped on the passenger part of the saddle. I suppose an advantage is that they have the potential for holding more volume than saddlebags.

I have a lot of experience with "real" touring bikes (have two BMWs and two Harleys, plus a KLR, all with big hard saddlebags) and like carrying weight lower on the bike, as well as being able to swing my leg over the saddle instead of picking it up and pulling it over the front of the saddle (though it's exactly what I have to do on my Road Glide Ultra due to the top box). The CB1100 would return me to the days when I had an XS650 Yamaha or a Triumph Bonneville (a real one, the kind that you could see through). Neither of those had any provision for carrying anything, including my lunch, so I had to improvise. My memory is dim, but I seem to recall putting some sort of soft saddlebags on the Triumph so I could make a trip back in 1982 . . .

So my question is whether the consensus is that it's "better" to have a set of soft saddlebags or just a duffel for the occasional overnight trip. This clearly would not be my only or my main bike; I just want the option of riding it more than 100 miles from home.
on my last 10 day road trip, I started out with a partial duffel stuffed w/ overnight clothing, laptop, air pump, tire plug, rain gear, spare gloves, walking shoes :


on day 10, same bag also accommodated all the souvenirs I purchased along the way.


cheap lock
 
The ferret_imp said:
I run soft bags, a tank bag, and a tail bag

f953cf7d4c2d2ccbe3480d1239ba9f61.jpg


The bags are small, but I know how to pack small. Over the years I have refined my list of what I need and don't need, for a couple of weeks on the road (indefinitely really) and it easily fits in this set up.

3d8e0043f3d9e2fb211046694ffe71a6.jpg


I stand on the downside peg to mount swinging my leg over the tail pack OR just karate kick thru the gap between tailpack and tank bag lol.



.
A little trick I learned when packing clothing or my rain suit in Ziploc bags. I sit on the packed bag and then close the seal. It is like vacuum packing. Really saves a lot of space.

I bought a Paradox down filled jacket (long sleeved vest) at Costco to wear under my leather jacket in cold weather. It feels really flimsy, but it fills all the space under my jacket and keeps my warm. It also keeps the wind off my neck and lower back.

It comes with a 6 x 8 inch nylon drawstring tote bag to pack it. But it was like trying to stuff a marshmallow into a piggybank, until I leaned to pull the sleeves inside the zipped jacket. Then it was easier to fold, roll and slip in the tote bag.

Lost the bag on a day ride, but was able to buy a set of 3 at Walmart for $10. The medium sized one was a perfect fit, and I am sure I will find a use for the small and large ones.
 
I THINK this is at least somewhat on topic:

Does anyone use their footpeg as a step to mount their CB1100 (like using the left stirrup to mount a horse)? I do this once in a while when I have a lot mounted on the back and I'm too tired (lazy?) to kick my leg up to step directly over the seat.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I THINK this is at least somewhat on topic:

Does anyone use their footpeg as a step to mount their CB1100 (like using the left stirrup to mount a horse)? I do this once in a while when I have a lot mounted on the back and I'm too tired (lazy?) to kick my leg up to step directly over the seat.
After dismounting, I always put my motorcycle on the center stand and kick the side stand up. I feel the bike is less likely to fall or get knocked over on the center stand.

But more important, at my age it is much easier to throw the right leg over the seat while standing on the foot peg. Absolutely needed if I have the tail bag mounted, which is most of the time. I like to have my tank bag empty so I can hide my helmet and gloves in it when I stop for food. Out of sight, out of mind.
 
I have not done it while the bike was on the center stand. I usually, depending upon terrain, have the bike on the center stand when stopped, but I leave the side stand down. I'm sure there's some reason that I should put the side stand up and why we should not use the left peg as a mounting step, but both have worked for me so far. One of my friends rides a K1600 (and a Goldwing before that) and he always mounts his bike this way, but those are much bigger bikes, of course.

And to tie this back to the question of saddlebags v duffel (or duffle depending upon one's preference, apparently).... using the left peg as a mounting step all but eliminates the problem of getting on the bike when there is a top case or duffle mounted on or over the rear seat.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I THINK this is at least somewhat on topic:

Does anyone use their footpeg as a step to mount their CB1100 (like using the left stirrup to mount a horse)? I do this once in a while when I have a lot mounted on the back and I'm too tired (lazy?) to kick my leg up to step directly over the seat.

Yep see post #8 at the bottom below the gear pic
 
Back
Top