Dropped CB1100

I agree with quietguy, know what to do if it happens. Here's my story. I was going to work and rear ended a Toyota Camry. Long store short (not really). Dew on the roads heavy traffic, brakes started locking up and hit the car at about 10mph. After hitting the Camry, I went down. Basically, I thought I had it until I didn't. Couple of minor abrasions and bruise. Didn't go to hospital. Someone called 911 not sure. The lady I hit was very nice and helpful. I didn't get a ticket, but it was clear it was my fault. So i picket it up and it wouldn't start. Had it sent to the dealer, bad mistake. After 2 weeks and a $5900 estament, I went and brought it home and fixed it my self for about $800. My bike has a windjammer and it took the brount of the hit. Replaced a couple of scrapped parts and a new/used fairing and the case around the gauges. She's as good as new. The insurance settled with me for $5700, so I paid it off and no salvage title. I think the dealer was trying to total it.
 
Last week I was adjusting the forwared kuryakyn footpegs on my CB and somehow it leaned to one side and got enmeshed with another of my bike near it...Somehow I had the side stand up and I forgot...Long story short, the fall broke my expensive Parabellum scout tall windshield.

Being elderly, I could not pick it up, and then I backed up to the bike and was able to use my leg muscles to do so. I had just enough strength to manage it.

(addendum: the windshield alone, without the hardware, will cost $200 plus shipping if I choose to fix it up...Yesterday, however, I went for an hour's ride in the country and by the time I got back home I was unaware that I didn't have a windshield...Am thinking I may just not replace it.)
 
After a long ride on a hot day I pulled the bike into my garage, shut it off, climbed off, turned to my left to place my helmet on the shelf. Next thing I know, I felt like I was being tackled from behind by an NFL linebacker. I had forgotten to put the side stand down and the bike landed on my backside, pinning me face first against the garage shelving.... Pretty funny now but it hurt like heck when it happened. Thank God my son was nearby and he came to my rescue...No damage to the bike, just a sore back and temporarily humbled pride.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Was it all that smart to pick it up yourself with those injuries and the wrong technique? Why not get someone to help?
Meh. Turns out the collar bone is not all that useful (I was under the impression I was on the mend; x-rays later said otherwise - long story). The back is a long term problem, there are things I can do, things I should avoid (like running, sprints are OK: usually). I'm in pretty good shape otherwise and can get away with some stuff; but the point being, this bike is not all that hard to pick up. Especially with the case savers.

Roll the bike up on the case savers (and tires), adjust your grip, pop upright.

I laid it down on the sprocket side to avoid any damage to the muffler (hey, when the lay down is optional you get to choose! :D ).

Popping up on the center stand is not too bad either. Not the easiest bike to do, but by far, not the hardest. I rock it a bit to make sure both center stand feet are seeing the ground, Lift some with my right hand, but push very hard with the right foot: Pops right up. If you try to lift the bike up on the center stand you are making the job much too hard. Your leg needs to be in on the party big time. Kinda like trying to pry the center stand and rear rack (thats what I grab) apart using your hand and foot.

I highly recommend practice lifting your bike under controlled conditions with a helper around. The things learned then will ease any panic when it happens out in the wild. You may find that for you a helper is a must. You will also know what and how to grab your bike. Knowledge is power. :)
 
Thank You for the information on the guards.
Steve
Flynrider_imp said:
Steverino_imp said:
I saved my brother in laws 59 HD Sportster a few years ago. I hope I can be forgiven.... He had it up on a bench and he was kicking it through a few times, I don't remember why and it started to go over from about 3 feet off the ground. I got my shoulder under it and held on to the bench until he could get untangled from the bike and get down to help. That thing was heavy.

Did anyone damage their muffs or pipes in these tip overs?
Steve
I had a relatively low speed laydown last summer (assisted by a deer). The design of the Over Racing engine guards really impressed me. The bike went down on its left side, but nothing to the rear of the handlebars got so much as a scratch (i.e. pegs, turn signals). I just got scratches on the headlight ring, mirror and gauges (and of course, the engine guards).
I had a relatively low speed laydown last summer (assisted by a deer). The design of the Over Racing engine guards really impressed me. The bike went down on its left side, but nothing to the rear of the handlebars got so much as a scratch (i.e. pegs, turn signals). I just got scratches on the headlight ring, mirror and gauges (and of course, the engine guards).
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
Curious to know for those that have laid their bikes down, did any fuel leak out of the fuel filler cap at the top of the tank?
No, but I don't remember how much fuel was in the tank. If it was less than half full, it probably wan't a good test. :)
 
EarsOnWheels_imp said:
The bike can be lifted without difficulty from "zero" even if both tires and both your feet are on ice.
Post your instructional video, Master Poe...:cool: I, for one, have got to see that.
 
quietguy_imp said:
EarsOnWheels_imp said:
The bike can be lifted without difficulty from "zero" even if both tires and both your feet are on ice.
Post your instructional video, Master Poe...:cool: I, for one, have got to see that.
Post your instructional video, Master Poe...:cool: I, for one, have got to see that. It's gonna look something like this I'm guessing.

5a994a1848d0550125af92bb268bdb18.jpg
 
Eventually gravity will win. Doesn't matter who you are or how much money you have...lol.

I've had several bikes roll off of the kickstand and smash into the pavement. It's a disheartening sound. I've always grabbed the low handlebar and picked it up. Bikes aren't as difficult to pick up as it looks.

Once I was rolling up to a stop signal and went to put my left foot down and my shoestring wrapped around the shifter. As luck would have it, i quickly raised up my foot and it came loose just in time for me to catch it.

I have several good stories.
 
I've dropped 3 bikes that I can recall, all moving less than walking pace. First one was in 1973 on a TX650 Yamaha on a camping trip. I was going down a hill in the grass and hit a rut and over I went. Second one was an 85 V65 Sabre that I tried to pull too tight of a U turn with, was going too slow and over I went, the 3rd was a BMW R1200R on a tour in Germany. I bumped another guys saddlebags jockeying for position in the group and over I went. All 3 times my wife was on the back.
 
On my old '78 KZ1000LTD, the fork locks were down below the triples. I had been swimming all day. Came out, got on the bike and drove out of the parking space with the forks locked.
It was actually quite funny. I just bailed off and landed on my feet. When I looked up, a mom and her daughter were saucer eyed watching the whole thing.
Hysterical.
 
Toddman, my brother did that on his 78 KZ1000 std only with a disc lock lol
 
Toddman_imp said:
On my old '78 KZ1000LTD, the fork locks were down below the triples. I had been swimming all day. Came out, got on the bike and drove out of the parking space with the forks locked.
It was actually quite funny. I just bailed off and landed on my feet. When I looked up, a mom and her daughter were saucer eyed watching the whole thing.
Hysterical.
I hated that Kaw fork lock! I did exactly the same thing on my '79 KZ750, just a few days after I'd bought it. I was parked at the curb and was planning a left U-turn. The bike went through the turn just fine, but then it just kept going left. Pretty embarrassing as I was at my folks house to show them my cool new bike :blush: They already thought motorcycles were too dangerous and this little display didn't impress them much.
 
My friend and I rode our brand new 1969 CB350s up the mountain to Big Bear (California) and about 2/3 the way up stopped at a rest area to use the restrooms. I was in a hurry and parked my bike pointed down-slope, turned off the motor, stand down, jumped off and began walking... People in the parking lot immediately started hollering and my friend called out to me, then WHAM!

Broken clutch lever, bent shifter, etc... The ride down the mountain was challenging, holding the broken lever in a way that I could use the clutch and shift.

Since that time my bikes have all been parked IN 1st gear...
 
Did the exact same thing in Ventura, CA, with my new K1200RS. Foot peg, shift lever, clutch lever, clutch lever perch. Crunch. One tow truck, a few hundred bucks, and 3 days later and she was good to go. Thankfully there was a dealer in the area. It was an expensive lesson!
 
dropped it, not fallen, big difference :)

2 cars in front of me driving in their lane, next to each other.
Car on the right lane, turned to the left lane without looking at the car on the left lane.
Result, car on left lane had to brake hard to prevent a collision.
All this at minor speeds btw.

Me, I was behind the hard breaking car. :dodgy:
Fortunately I was not behind the middle of the car.
I very rarely ride with my nose pointing at the exact center of a car when riding in heavy traffic.
Unfortunately I was stil behind the car nonetheless and I was perhaps riding a notch too close, so I could not avoid the minor contact...

Good thing is I could dodge the rear of the car so my wheel didn't hit the car, only my left indicator touched the car, wich luckely is one of the most flexible parts of our bikes. :thumbsup:

No harm done, untill, the bike stood still after hard braking with a turned steering wheel...
The result of that is I couldn't hold the bike, but in fact I tried to hold up a 260kg bike with only my right hand, since I was out of balance after the hard breaking...but inevitable I was slowly loosing her and at the end my right wrist hurt so much that I had to drop it, slowly.

The thing I am bothered with is I know that If I applied my front brake much harder I know I could stop faster without contact and didnt even need to dodge the car in the first place. :@
But I had only one (or maximum2) finger on the front brake lever.
I had no time to introduce more fingers :) so all I had was that one finger :-/
I even applied the rear brake, but clearly the total braking power was a notch too weak.

The maneuvre itself turned out good but it was the drop that caused some minor scratches.
There are minor scratches on my right mirror, but you almost cant see.
Those Napoleon mirrors luckely fold upwards and the OEM engine guard did its work and the minor scratches there dont bother me too. :thumbsup:

But, there are some visible scratches at my left exhaust :@
Nothing tooo bad, but still.

Other inconvenience, that damn throttle wrist, I cant even lift up a simple plate.
Other than that I can still use it witjout great pain and most important, I can drive a bike :)
I'll see how it evolves.

Lesson I learned:
I actually had to think :), since I find I did everything right, and some things you just can't anticipate.
IF only I had 4 finger on the front brake....naah I can't blame myself for not doing that, its just not realistic nor comfortable.
I perhaps could keep a bigger distance, but in slow town riding you automatically 'tailgate'..

edit: driver and passenger, young couple, of hard braking car stopped to asked me if i am ok, as did a stranger that seemed to appear out of nowhere.
Good things do happen when needed :)
But I didnt need assistence since I picked up the bike in no time.
Turned my back to the bike, bent my knees, right hand grabbed the rear rack, left hand the throttle grip and slowly stood up with the bike behind me, easy peasy.
The car that did the cuss maneuvre disappeared and I joked with the driver that stopped that I should cuss hunt him down :)
I was amazed to see the driver was a real bulky bodybuilder :) his girlfriend seemed well build too :P
 
THx for the write up. That incident could happen to any one of us. Traffic is only getting worse. So it's good that you posted this up. Now, don't you feel relieved and happy that you bought those crash bars?
 
Back
Top