Dropped CB1100

CB1100DLX_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi All,
Has anyone dropped their CB1100? Was it difficult to pick up?
I've seen pictures of bikes on their sides on other forums. Hate to see but can't look away, so post a pic if you got one!
 
Yes and No

Did not take a picture.

Just use the lifting technique of having your back to the bike, butt on the seat, push with your legs and it will pop right up. Same technique that you will see in almost any video or described in any motorcycle forum
 
I dropped it in the back yard (gracefully laid it down) and popped it back up. Easy peasy, but I have case savers on it which makes picking up very easy. I was able to pop it back up with a broken collar bone and a bad back and using the wrong technique. I find my 650L harder to right (higher center of gravity, especially when the tank is full - after market larger gas tank).

I find it very useful to take a new bike out on the lawn and lay her down to see how hard it is to pick back up. Difficulties can be be identified and worked on. Grip adjusted etc. Especially useful if you have a buddy to give you a hand just in case you bit off more than you can chew. Or lift. :D
 
Dropped mine once; a mishap where my foot slipped off the centerstand lever when it was wet and I fell on top of the bike. It happened in a parking lot full of other motorcyclists and was very embarassing to say the least. It was easy to pick up using the technicque described by EmptySea. I am 50 years old, I have average strength for my age, and it was easy, no straining.
 
I "bought' mine after I dropped it. I was working at the local Honda store when the widow of a customer that had bought ou first '13 brought it in to sell on consignment. I rode it around the parking lot. Trying to do a steering lock turn, I applied too much front brake, and it went down. I didn't pick it up. I broke two ribs. The damage from that 1mph drop was $1,426!! So I bought the bike rather than just write the check and have nothing to show for it.

A customer easily picked up the bike, however.
 
Olyrider_imp said:
I "bought' mine after I dropped it. I was working at the local Honda store when the widow of a customer that had bought ou first '13 brought it in to sell on consignment. I rode it around the parking lot. Trying to do a steering lock turn, I applied too much front brake, and it went down. I didn't pick it up. I broke two ribs. The damage from that 1mph drop was $1,426!! So I bought the bike rather than just write the check and have nothing to show for it.

A customer easily picked up the bike, however.
lol...I might go drop a new Bonneville T120 and then try using that logic with my wife.
 
I dropped mine in the garage when I took it off the center stand and it got away from me. Lesson for me: put the side stand down before I take it off the center stand. Fortunately I had put on the engine guards before that mishap so only a broken clutch lever and a damaged left rear turn signal. I lifted it back up on my own without knowing the "easy way".

sorry no pic. Why would I take a pic, lol?
 
Anybody who has been here awhile knows I had a garage slow tip over too. Did not go all the way down as it leaned over onto a pressure washer. Most of the time I forget it even happened.

No damage though--OK OK, a dented and scratched tank :( Bought a board members tank and all is good!

I couldn't pick it up. Was too close to the wall so my neighbor helped. I was embarrassed, but he isn't a bike guy and didn't know I was supposed to be! :)
 
I saved my brother in laws 59 HD Sportster a few years ago. I hope I can be forgiven.... He had it up on a bench and he was kicking it through a few times, I don't remember why and it started to go over from about 3 feet off the ground. I got my shoulder under it and held on to the bench until he could get untangled from the bike and get down to help. That thing was heavy.

Did anyone damage their muffs or pipes in these tip overs?
Steve
 
Rboe_imp said:
I dropped it in the back yard (gracefully laid it down) and popped it back up. Easy peasy, but I have case savers on it which makes picking up very easy. I was able to pop it back up with a broken collar bone and a bad back and using the wrong technique. I find my 650L harder to right (higher center of gravity, especially when the tank is full - after market larger gas tank).

I find it very useful to take a new bike out on the lawn and lay her down to see how hard it is to pick back up. Difficulties can be be identified and worked on. Grip adjusted etc. Especially useful if you have a buddy to give you a hand just in case you bit off more than you can chew. Or lift. :D
Sorry... but I have no plans to roll my new bike out into the yard and lay it down just to practice getting it upright again.

Was enough to get my technique perfected on getting it up on the center stand. ;)
 
Steverino_imp said:
I saved my brother in laws 59 HD Sportster a few years ago. I hope I can be forgiven.... He had it up on a bench and he was kicking it through a few times, I don't remember why and it started to go over from about 3 feet off the ground. I got my shoulder under it and held on to the bench until he could get untangled from the bike and get down to help. That thing was heavy.

Did anyone damage their muffs or pipes in these tip overs?
Steve
I had a relatively low speed laydown last summer (assisted by a deer). The design of the Over Racing engine guards really impressed me. The bike went down on its left side, but nothing to the rear of the handlebars got so much as a scratch (i.e. pegs, turn signals). I just got scratches on the headlight ring, mirror and gauges (and of course, the engine guards).
 
I hope you weren't injured, Fly... I also hope the deer had insurance.

That's one of the items I want to install soon - engine guards. I recently looked on Pro Calibers website for the OEM units; no longer available.
 
quietguy_imp said:
I hope you weren't injured, Fly... I also hope the deer had insurance.

That's one of the items I want to install soon - engine guards. I recently looked on Pro Calibers website for the OEM units; no longer available.
Sorry, Quietguy. I must have gotten Pro Calibers last in stock set of OEM engine guards. Samurider also has good price on them.

Never dropped the CB (yet) but if you really want a challenge try picking up a loaded Electra Glide. They are in hernia territory! :@
 
quietguy_imp said:
I hope you weren't injured, Fly... I also hope the deer had insurance.

That's one of the items I want to install soon - engine guards. I recently looked on Pro Calibers website for the OEM units; no longer available.
I got a little scratch on my pinkie. The deer got a bit worse.

Without the O.R. guards, there would have been a lot more expensive stuff scraping the ground. Best farkle investment I made.
 
I'll check Samurider, Ron, thanks for the tip. I believe that's one "must-have" accessory, for any bike.

As to the Electra Glide, I'd probably have difficulty getting it off the kick stand.

I had a friend (gently) lay his Goldwing down once, but he slicked that back upright in a flash, made it look super easy.


Fly - Glad you didn't get really hurt! Deer are one of the big things I will have to be wary of in April when I'm in the Texas Hill Country. Lots of "hooligans" get injured down there every year from deer encounters.
 
Hate to admit it but dropped mine too, slow speed in a gas station woman walked right in front of me with her dog. I went down on the left side. got the case cover and minor on the mirror. Ordered new case and mirror, could have buffed each out. As far as lifting it already knew how from picking up my Road King. Good video from the Motor man Jerry Palladino ride like a pro .
 
I think the prior owner of my CB dropped it on the right side. There's no damage to the bike that I can see, except for the rear brake pedal. It's bent inwards a tad. No big deal.
 
Back
Top