Drive chain replacement time, probably.

kennyw_imp said:
Is this tool the same as the Stockton brand at Cycle Gear? It looks the same to me.

Amazon.com
Yep. That looks identical to the Stockton brand that I got at Cycle Gear. That looks like a pretty good deal on Amazon. Also explains why it seems to be perpetually "on sale" at Cycle Gear. :D

Elipten : My old breaking/staking kit was a much more expensive Motion Pro (that managed to move to another state with my tool borrowing neighbor). As far as I can tell, it's about the same quality as the Stockton kit (and looks identical). For chain breaking, both kits recommend grinding the rivet head on chains larger than #520, due to the possibility of overstressing the breaking tool. I found that I could break a #525 and #530 by doing it slowly and carefully (I don't have a grinder handy).
 
You can pick up a 4" angle grinder to get the job done for $15 at Harbor Freight
 
Rolls_imp said:
For chain and sprockets replacement, are there any other miscellaneous parts I'll need, like new bolts, washers, seals or so forth? Is it a 110 link length?

Hoping to order order a 530 D.I.D. X-ring chain and sprockets today, so I can tackle this job asap.
Did you get an answer to the number of links needed? I'd rather not go out and start counting...
 
Per the Honda Service Manual:

110 links

Replacement chain:

2013 model:
DID: DID50ZVM2
RK: RK50LFOZ2

2014 model:
DID: DID50VA11
RK: RK50HFOZ6
 
Is this a pretty doable repair at home with the right tools? I've never messed with replacing a chain or sprockets. Most of my bikes have been shaft or belt drive...
 
Well, you would need a chain breaker and a staking tool for the master link rivets. And hopefully a service manual for the proper staking of said rivets.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well, you would need a chain breaker and a staking tool for the master link rivets. And hopefully a service manual for the proper staking of said rivets.
Harbor Freight carries a cheap chain breaker that worked fine for the last chain I replaced. I think it's $14 bucks.
 
Cycle Gear among others offers up inexpensive chain breaker and pinner.

What you don't want to do is lay out the old chain next to the new one and then cut as the old chain stretches; you want to count links.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Cycle Gear among others offers up inexpensive chain breaker and pinner.

What you don't want to do is lay out the old chain next to the new one and then cut as the old chain stretches; you want to count links.
Measure twice, cut once.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Cycle Gear among others offers up inexpensive chain breaker and pinner.

What you don't want to do is lay out the old chain next to the new one and then cut as the old chain stretches; you want to count links.
Measure twice, cut once.
>60: measure twice, think, 'why did I do that?' Remember. Measure twice more, repeat.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Cycle Gear among others offers up inexpensive chain breaker and pinner.

What you don't want to do is lay out the old chain next to the new one and then cut as the old chain stretches; you want to count links.
Ideally what you want to do is get a chain with the correct number of links from the factory (then count the links). Fortunately, both of my CBs require 110 links, which is commonly available from most manufacturers. I haven't had to cut a new chain in many years.
 
Back
Top