Drilling muffler

mininsx_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I haven't had my eleven for a week yet, but I'm already looking into making it just a bit louder. It seems the aftermarket selection is a little thin at the present time, and I like the look of the stock muffler. Has anyone tried drilling that baffle that you can see when looking inside the muffler?
 
I thought about removing the end cap and drilling a pattern of 6-8 holes in the can then putting the cap back on. If it didn't work I could plug them with a blind rivit or rivnut and a screw. Then I saw the price of a new muffler and chickened out. Let us know how it works if you drill something
 
I took mine apart. The inside is very restrictive from both ends so don't think drilling will help much. Gonna take mine to my muffler guy & see if he will cut apart @ weld, gut & weld back.
 
Thread starter
FUZZY_imp said:
I took mine apart. The inside is very restrictive from both ends so don't think drilling will help much. Gonna take mine to my muffler guy & see if he will cut apart @ weld, gut & weld back.
That's good to know. I tried drilling the exhaust on my '05 CBR1000RR when I got it (underseat muffler) and it made almost no difference in the sound.
 
FUZZY_imp said:
I took mine apart. The inside is very restrictive from both ends so don't think drilling will help much. Gonna take mine to my muffler guy & see if he will cut apart @ weld, gut & weld back.
Is gutting the cat is an option. I had an inline 4 bike with a header no cat that used a slip-on or the stock muffler. I'd put the stock muffler on for trips and it had a great sound that wasn't overwhelming. That stainless pipe is tricky to work with, a muffler guy could I would think.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
I took mine apart. The inside is very restrictive from both ends so don't think drilling will help much. Gonna take mine to my muffler guy & see if he will cut apart @ weld, gut & weld back.
Is gutting the cat is an option. I had an inline 4 bike with a header no cat that used a slip-on or the stock muffler. I'd put the stock muffler on for trips and it had a great sound that wasn't overwhelming. That stainless pipe is tricky to work with, a muffler guy could I would think.
Is gutting the cat is an option. I had an inline 4 bike with a header no cat that used a slip-on or the stock muffler. I'd put the stock muffler on for trips and it had a great sound that wasn't overwhelming. That stainless pipe is tricky to work with, a muffler guy could I would think. The cat is built into the collector so don't see how. The cat is restrictive too. You can run a shorty directly off it, no baffle & sounds mean. I have a Emgo meg on right now with baffle removed(cut welds @ cap). I left end cap. Sounds pretty good. Just not crazy about the look.
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
Didn't the 05 have the servo operated exhaust valve? That would kill a lot of the sound unless open.
Yeah, it had an exhaust servo valve. You'd have thought that when it was open it would have made a difference in sound after drilling but it didn't. :-/
 
FUZZY' pid='7635' dateline='1373926309 said:
I took mine apart. The inside is very restrictive :-/

I just installed the Two Brothers Titanium. Very easy, looks great and the sound is up. I need more time for break in and to decide how much I like it. It is definitely not in the same category as my 1970 cb750 stock 4 into 4.
 
Thread starter
Honda4Ed_imp said:
FUZZY' pid='7635' dateline='1373926309 said:
I took mine apart. The inside is very restrictive :-/

I just installed the Two Brothers Titanium. Very easy, looks great and the sound is up. I need more time for break in and to decide how much I like it. It is definitely not in the same category as my 1970 cb750 stock 4 into 4.
I've got a TBR carbon on my Concours 14 and really like it. It's relatively quiet when you want it to be and screams when you get on it.
 
Thread starter
Well, I got adventurous the other day and drilled two 5/16" holes in the baffle that you see when you look inside the muffler outlet and it no difference in the sound at all. :(
 
Arrrggghhh I would hate drilling into my brand new chromed exhaust system for nothing. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but thanks for warning others so they don't make the same mistake.
 
mininsx_imp said:
Well, I got adventurous the other day and drilled two 5/16" holes in the baffle that you see when you look inside the muffler outlet and it no difference in the sound at all. :(
Yea the inside of that muffler flows like a loopty loop. Not much you can do.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Arrrggghhh I would hate drilling into my brand new chromed exhaust system for nothing. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but thanks for warning others so they don't make the same mistake.
That was my idea, to tell others, "Don't waste your time!"
 
FUZZY_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
Well, I got adventurous the other day and drilled two 5/16" holes in the baffle that you see when you look inside the muffler outlet and it no difference in the sound at all. :(
Yea the inside of that muffler flows like a loopty loop. Not much you can do.
Gentlemen,

Yes, with the stock slip on the exhaust gasses flow the length of that pipe 3 times before they exit. All the way to the end along the outside where they make a 180 turn and flow back tword the front of the bike and make another 180 turn and then back down the center of the pipe and out of the rear opening. You will not change the sound much unless you gut that muffler to eleminate those two 180 turns. Aftermarket slip ons flow straight through.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
Well, I got adventurous the other day and drilled two 5/16" holes in the baffle that you see when you look inside the muffler outlet and it no difference in the sound at all. :(
Yea the inside of that muffler flows like a loopty loop. Not much you can do.
Gentlemen,

Yes, with the stock slip on the exhaust gasses flow the length of that pipe 3 times before they exit. All the way to the end along the outside where they make a 180 turn and flow back tword the front of the bike and make another 180 turn and then back down the center of the pipe and out of the rear opening. You will not change the sound much unless you gut that muffler to eleminate those two 180 turns. Aftermarket slip ons flow straight through.

Chip
Gentlemen,

Yes, with the stock slip on the exhaust gasses flow the length of that pipe 3 times before they exit. All the way to the end along the outside where they make a 180 turn and flow back tword the front of the bike and make another 180 turn and then back down the center of the pipe and out of the rear opening. You will not change the sound much unless you gut that muffler to eleminate those two 180 turns. Aftermarket slip ons flow straight through.

Chip
I wonder how hard it would be to "gut" the interior of that stock muffler?
 
Back
Top