Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

It's just a road, albeit a curvy one, but there are lots of curvy roads. Ride your pace, don't get caught up in the frenzy, stay in your lane, practice late apexes, ride near the while line, look thru your turn and you should be fine. If there is an idiot pushing you, use one of the pull offs, there are many.Gingersdaddy_imp said:Heading to the Dragon in a couple of weeks. Not looking to set any speed records and will be two up with the wife on the back. Hopefully we will survive without any issues.

Thanks, Ferret and EmptySea. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm sure me and the wife will both be smiling.EmptySea_imp said:^+1 -- Too many warning tales before I went. It's a US Highway for crying out loud. It only gets difficult when you try to make it difficult. Ferret's advice about your pace and the pull-offs is exactly correct. Your wife will probably enjoy the view more than you will, though, because she can look around and you need to look ahead. Remind her to smile for the cameras (there usually are three photographers out there) It's fun....just pay attention.![]()

Was just mapping out a route. Thinking about the trip out going through Deals Gap on into TN and over to Sweetwater, spend the night and then come back to NC on the Cherahola Skyway.The ferret_imp said:Make sure you ride the Cherahola Skyway, and ride up the BRP for aways.
We stayed at Two Wheel Inn which is a few miles south of Tail of the Dragon on 129, but a very short distance to Cherohala. Being on the south end also gives you a shorter ride down to US74/19 which takes you to NC28 (aka Moonshiner 28). 74/19 is a nice ride along the river and 28 is beautiful. Two Wheel Inn will have parking for your truck and trailer and each room has its own bike garage (which is nice and saves you having to load and unload the trailer each day). Here's the website with their rates: Two Wheel Inn - Rates. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I stayed at the Quality Inn in Alcoa, TN. It was a little bit of a hike to Deal's Gap, but not too bad. The room was clean and the staff were very accommodating. There was plenty of parking and the area was surprisingly quiet at night. There are three or four restaurants within walking distance. I went to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner. [url=http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-alcoa-tennessee-TN663#listpos8]Quality Inn - Alocaoffroadfx4_imp said:Thanks for all the tips and tricks!
I'm going sometime in the next 3 weeks, but I'm taking a trailer to get near there....what is a good home base to ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway? I guess I'm asking what is a good hotel to leave a truck and trailer at during the day and has a hotel with or near restaurants? I'm sure there are plenty near Knoxville, but any closer? Is a weekday better than a weekend?
EmptySea_imp said:We stayed at Two Wheel Inn which is a few miles south of Tail of the Dragon on 129, but a very short distance to Cherohala. Being on the south end also gives you a shorter ride down to US74/19 which takes you to NC28 (aka Moonshiner 28). 74/19 is a nice ride along the river and 28 is beautiful. Two Wheel Inn will have parking for your truck and trailer and each room has its own bike garage (which is nice and saves you having to load and unload the trailer each day). Here's the website with their rates: Two Wheel Inn - Rates. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I stayed at the Quality Inn in Alcoa, TN. It was a little bit of a hike to Deal's Gap, but not too bad. The room was clean and the staff were very accommodating. There was plenty of parking and the area was surprisingly quiet at night. There are three or four restaurants within walking distance. I went to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner. [url=http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-alcoa-tennessee-TN663#listpos8]Quality Inn - Alocaoffroadfx4_imp said:Thanks for all the tips and tricks!
I'm going sometime in the next 3 weeks, but I'm taking a trailer to get near there....what is a good home base to ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway? I guess I'm asking what is a good hotel to leave a truck and trailer at during the day and has a hotel with or near restaurants? I'm sure there are plenty near Knoxville, but any closer? Is a weekday better than a weekend?
Weekday is HUGELY better. We were there on a Tuesday and Wednesday in early May and it was pretty quiet except for a few Minis arriving early for their rally. When I went back in late June, I was there on a Friday evening after a very strong rain and I was very surprised at how many other people were on The Dragon considering it was dusk and it had just poured. If you want to ride a bit and then stop and talk with ALOT of people, do it on the weekend. If you want to ride, and then ride some more, go on a weekday....Tuesday/Wednesday probably being the quietest. Oh..and bring layers on Cherohala..the weather changes in a snap up there.


+1EmptySea_imp said:Remember, Gingersdaddy and offroadfx4: Pictures (and a ride report) or it didn't happen![]()