Downshifting while stopped

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
Just wondering if any of you have experienced issues with downshifting whilst stopped. There was a rather lugubrious fellow who complained about the issue recently as part of a rant, but I don't think that he adequately described the problem. This crops up on my 2017 CB 1100 EX only when stopped. I roll to a stop, say in third gear, and when I'm situated with my feet on the ground, clutch engaged, I attempt to downshift to first. Sometimes (not always), I get a "--" on the gear indicator. I need to partially let the clutch out to the point it starts to engage, and then I can shift down a gear. Sometimes I can shift all the way to first then, and sometimes it gets stuck in neutral between second and first, and I need to let the clutch out a bit again before sifting down to first.

The bike is under warrantee, and I'm sure that my dealer will deal with it if it's a real issue, but I'm just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. It's never an issue if I shift down to first while rolling, but my usual MO is to keep the bike in third while I'm rolling to a stop and shift down after stopping. I like using engine braking, and that isn't ideal in first.

Just curious if any other 2017 owners have noticed....

As it is, it isn't a huge problem, but there are the odd times that I forget to downshift while stopped until the last minute. Light turns green and I'm struggling to get the bike in first. Seems like a recipe for somebody rear-ending me while I'm fiddling with the bike.
 
It happens occasionally to me with my ‘14. Is it an “issue”? That is debatable. I look at it as more of a quirk and I can live with it.
 
I always downshift to first before I come to a complete stop, so I have no frame of reference for what you are describing. It's just always been a habit with me to do that because it just makes it that much easier to escape if the need arises. You have to remember that not everyone is paying attention on the road and that it is best to be prepared for anything.
 
This has been discussed a few times on the board and is completely normal operation for non synchronized transmissions.
 
Thread starter
Cool. Sounds like just a change in habbits is needed. I was just curious if it was abnormal since I haven't experienced it in other bikes.
 
Tommy, people here say what you say, but every bike I’ve ever had did it. Not every single time, but not unusual. You must not try to force it into gear though as you can bend (or worse) shift forks.

I don’t remember the exact explanation, but let the clutch out a tad and the gear dogs will engage as parts spin. SportsterDoc or Powerdubs can most likely give the precise operational explanation.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
This has been discussed a few times on the board and is completely normal operation for non synchronized transmissions.
+1 The issue is the operator. The trans is not designed to operate like the OP is using it. Always let out the clutch between gears, stopped or not.
 
What Popgun said. It happens occasionally on every motorcycle I've had. When it doesn't go into first, letting the clutch out to the friction point then pulling back in will let you shift. I sometimes get it the other way with dirt bikes--going from first into neutral at a stop. Same procedure with the clutch and it's fine.

WRXer, there are plenty of times riding in heavy traffic when downshifting gear-by-gear and letting out the clutch each time is not an option.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Tommy, people here say what you say, but every bike I’ve ever had did it. Not every single time, but not unusual. You must not try to force it into gear though as you can bend (or worse) shift forks.

I don’t remember the exact explanation, but let the clutch out a tad and the gear dogs will engage as parts spin. SportsterDoc or Powerdubs can most likely give the precise operational explanation.
Thx! No big deal really, it's just not what I've been used to. I usually take advantage of engine braking, and for me anyway, third seems the optimal gear to do that with. So long as it isn't a mechanical issue, I can deal with it operationally. It just seems like I'm noticing it happening more recently and I was just curious if it was out of the ordinary or normal.
 
Roper_imp said:
What Popgun said. It happens occasionally on every motorcycle I've had. When it doesn't go into first, letting the clutch out to the friction point then pulling back in will let you shift. I sometimes get it the other way with dirt bikes--going from first into neutral at a stop. Same procedure with the clutch and it's fine.

WRXer, there are plenty of times riding in heavy traffic when downshifting gear-by-gear and letting out the clutch each time is not an option.
You must have quit reading my post early....

Quote:Always let out the clutch between gears, stopped or not.
 
Thread starter
WRXer_imp said:
Roper_imp said:
What Popgun said. It happens occasionally on every motorcycle I've had. When it doesn't go into first, letting the clutch out to the friction point then pulling back in will let you shift. I sometimes get it the other way with dirt bikes--going from first into neutral at a stop. Same procedure with the clutch and it's fine.

WRXer, there are plenty of times riding in heavy traffic when downshifting gear-by-gear and letting out the clutch each time is not an option.
You must have quit reading my post early....

Quote:Always let out the clutch between gears, stopped or not.
You must have stopped reading my post early....

Quote:Always let out the clutch between gears, stopped or not. When stopped, it's a bit unusual (for me anyway) to let the clutch out, even if just partially, unless I'm in neutral. Clearly one wouldn't let the clutch out entirely while stopped and in third for example.

It sounds like this is standard procedure for the CB1100 (or at least it's standard procedure to downshift all the way to first before rolling to a stop.) In any case, it's not something I've experienced before on other bikes.

Since my youth, on a variety of bikes, I have found that third gear is the ideal gear to use as engine breaking towards a stoplight. It really isn't a big deal to shift down to first just before stopping. I was just wondering why it is necessary, and wanted to see if anybody else experienced this.
 
I also downshift to first before I come to a complete stop . rev matching and smooth shifting i believe makes a transmission get even smoother as the rider becomes one with the machine. I shift to 2nd early and never hear any clicks - just smooth transfer of power as the transmission was broken in right .
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
This has been discussed a few times on the board and is completely normal operation for non synchronized transmissions.
Normal for all 17 of my motorcycles.

In the event of a panic stop from a higher gear, it may take some partial clutch releases between each shift lever movement to facilitate first.
 
This morning I intentionally stopped in a high gear a few times (fighting the urge to downshift!). As SportsterDoc says, when there was resistance downshifting, a slight engagement of the clutch answered. I rarely think about shifting except to enjoy how silky the CB transmission is after 11.5K miles. Cold-engine clunking into first is the only annoyance.
 
rocking a bike back and forth helps when in a higher gear and stopped .
The CB1100 seems to be a rock solid bullet proof bike.
the only weak transmission " i and many others have had " was the S65 in the 60's when so many of us lost 2nd gear .
 
Noleshot_imp said:
This morning I intentionally stopped in a high gear a few times (fighting the urge to downshift!). As SportsterDoc says, when there was resistance downshifting, a slight engagement of the clutch answered. I rarely think about shifting except to enjoy how silky the CB transmission is after 11.5K miles. Cold-engine clunking into first is the only annoyance.
I do not recall any bike that did not do that.
For sure, the ones in the past 15 years:
2 Sportsters
1 Triumph
2 Yamahas
1 Moto Guzzi

Memory is fading prior to that, but I think all did it, back to 1963.

I have not yet figured out how to stealth shift from neutral into first, when stopped.

In the Las Vegas Valley, traffic signal cycles are l o n g, so I sit them out in neutral.
 
My 2017 is exactly the same. The - symbol is just telling us to downshift while still rolling a bit. Don't tell your dealer anything about it. It is normal and all you dealer can do is screw it up if they try anything to fix what isn't broken.
 
Back
Top