don't wait 24 months

The Gecko_imp

Been there
Thread starter
While doing the fluid change on the front brakes (see "wheel sensors" Wheel sensors),
I thought - let's look into the left side reservoir, see how the clutch fluid is doing. With the last change just over 12 months ago, I got really surprised about the mess I found. A darkish kind of soup, when measured with a high water contents.
It is clear that on the clutch side fluids will always suffer and get contaminated faster than in the brake lines. But this bad, it surprised me. No safety risk like a non-working brake, but I cannot imagine it's good for the clutch either.
The 24 months interval (even with low miles) may really be too long.
 
i change all my brake fluids and clutch fluid in everything i own 1 -2 times yearly i been a mechanic for 18 yeah i see what moisture does to hydraulic systems daily
 
Interesting. I know I am going to get a lot of negative feedback on this, but I didn't change the brake or clutch fluid on my Honda VFR800 for 17 years, and when I did I couldn't tell the difference. I didn't change the brake fluid on my Toyota truck for 20 years, and when I did I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe the climate has something to do with this?

I am NOT advocating not changing your brake and clutch fluids regularly, and absolutely not waiting for as long as I did. I just keep busy, and if I feel that something doesn't need fixing, then I don't fix it. I haven't changed the brake or clutch fluids on my 2014 CB1100, but it is on my list of things to do.

In case anybody wants to accuse me of neglecting the maintenance on my vehicles, I can assure you that my vehicles are meticulously maintained. My VFR800 has over 117,000 miles, my CB750 has over 120,000 miles, my Toyota has over 241,000 miles, and my VW has over 421,000 miles, and I am the original owner of each.
 
I just did my clutch reservoir for the first time on my 2014 last month also and i was super surprised how it looked.

Had stuff growing in it almost looked like egg drop soup! The fluid itself was darker but the flush was easy. I removed the dirty cramp from the reservoir first and topped it off with fresh fluid before I flushed. I didnt wanna send that crap down the line.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
Interesting. I know I am going to get a lot of negative feedback on this, but I didn't change the brake or clutch fluid on my Honda VFR800 for 17 years, and when I did I couldn't tell the difference. I didn't change the brake fluid on my Toyota truck for 20 years, and when I did I couldn't tell the difference. Maybe the climate has something to do with this?

I am NOT advocating not changing your brake and clutch fluids regularly, and absolutely not waiting for as long as I did. I just keep busy, and if I feel that something doesn't need fixing, then I don't fix it. I haven't changed the brake or clutch fluids on my 2014 CB1100, but it is on my list of things to do.

In case anybody wants to accuse me of neglecting the maintenance on my vehicles, I can assure you that my vehicles are meticulously maintained. My VFR800 has over 117,000 miles, my CB750 has over 120,000 miles, my Toyota has over 241,000 miles, and my VW has over 421,000 miles, and I am the original owner of each.
No negative feedback from my side ;)
I hear you, I tend to believe you. But your VFR is presumably a non-ABS bile. And what I learned the hard way last year (and others seem to have confirmed), the little one-way valves inside an ABS module will cause trouble - long before 17 years later.
 
Thread starter
If you wipe it clean, then add new ... isn't there a (slightly higher) chance that this way you get air into the system, ... very little but still. If you remove only most of the old fluid, but leave the opening covered that chance is clearly zero.
 
m in sc_imp said:
one note on changing fluid, and i've done this for over 30 years. get a big syringe, suck the old fluid out, then wipe out the master with a clean paper towel, then add new fluid and flush it though. I can't tell you how many people i have seen push a reservoir of old fluid unnecessarily through a system. .02
Thats how I did it M, can't get air in the system if you dont pull the lever.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
m in sc_imp said:
one note on changing fluid, and i've done this for over 30 years. get a big syringe, suck the old fluid out, then wipe out the master with a clean paper towel, then add new fluid and flush it though. I can't tell you how many people i have seen push a reservoir of old fluid unnecessarily through a system. .02
Sounds sensible m in sc.
 
m in sc_imp said:
one note on changing fluid, and i've done this for over 30 years. get a big syringe, suck the old fluid out, then wipe out the master with a clean paper towel, then add new fluid and flush it though. I can't tell you how many people i have seen push a reservoir of old fluid unnecessarily through a system. .02
Yep, this is how I do it too.
 
Must be the right way! :D
 
m in sc_imp said:
one note on changing fluid, and i've done this for over 30 years. get a big syringe, suck the old fluid out, then wipe out the master with a clean paper towel, then add new fluid and flush it though. I can't tell you how many people i have seen push a reservoir of old fluid unnecessarily through a system. .02

ef2bbb1d235e616c4ed3b38adefe5d23.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The Gecko_imp said:
While doing the fluid change on the front brakes (see "wheel sensors" Wheel sensors),
I thought - let's look into the left side reservoir, see how the clutch fluid is doing. With the last change just over 12 months ago, I got really surprised about the mess I found. A darkish kind of soup, when measured with a high water contents.
It is clear that on the clutch side fluids will always suffer and get contaminated faster than in the brake lines. But this bad, it surprised me. No safety risk like a non-working brake, but I cannot imagine it's good for the clutch either.
The 24 months interval (even with low miles) may really be too long.
I change the brake and clutch fluid every year. I have compressor driven vacuum bleeder and the whole process only takes an hour. It’s a very cheap way to give me peace of mind. I only change the brake fluid in my cars every 36-48months and from the looks of the fluid, I could definitely go longer. All of my car manuals recommend changing every 24 months but that’s overkill for the way me and my family drive our cars. We don’t sit in much stop and go traffic or drive like race car drivers. Plus, I have 3 Hondas and a Toyota truck. Our Civic is 15 years old as well.
 
Unless there is a leak in the closed system (and hence, it is no longer a closed system), I find ten years or more shows no performance degradation.

I find most garages won't bother, unless it is visually (corrosion, fluid is very dark, etc.) or mechanically obvious.
 
Back
Top