Don Guhl No Longer Tuning Motorcycle ECUs

We don't know why Don Guhl has stopped re-flashing ECMs. Was he asked or told to by EPA? Or by his his lawyer? Was he fined? Had he been warned before? Did he see the writing on the wall and is changing his business to protect himself from possible fines and litigation?

We really just don't know until he's interviewed. Otherwise, it's all speculation.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
We don't know why Don Guhl has stopped re-flashing ECMs. Was he asked or told to by EPA? Or by his his lawyer? Was he fined? Had he been warned before? Did he see the writing on the wall and is changing his business to protect himself from possible fines and litigation?

We really just don't know until he's interviewed. Otherwise, it's all speculation.


Doesn't even matter the reason- which is probably why nobody delved there.

Where we are at is where we are at-and none of us can change that.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
Darn, I just wanted the rev/speed limiter removed, no change in the stock tuning configuration at all. This sucks
Same here, want the speed limit removed for track days
 
he stopped doing the ecu work because like pfi speed and others the environmental protection agency has been cracking down on tuners of ecms with vin numbers this is a direct message from don to me via facebook "Don Guhl
There in lies the problem... You have to prove that the modification does not cause any environmental harm. Not the other way around..." he went on to say others in the industry have been targets of large fines from the epa and cease operation orders
 
Quote:
"The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced in December new regulations designed to cut emissions from new passenger cars and light trucks. In the USA, unlike in Europe, where the main emitter of carbon dioxide is energy, transport is the largest source of greenhouse gases, and according to EPA data, it accounts for 29% of emissions...
The new regulations concern new cars 2023-06 "
Good move :thumbsup:
 
Such a crock- commercial vehicles put out a LOT more junk than the very very little % of people tuning cars / bikes.

A single big rig is blowing clouds of black ... not even getting into the conversation of an air plane or cruise ship.
 
I didn’t think there were more than a few forum members that sent their ECUs to Guhl for re-flashing. I did, for my 2013, along with a Power Commander V. Guhl’s changes were important to me, but more subtle than the Power Commander.

I understood that Don was merely re-flashing our ECU to what Honda has spec’d for some other countries, so nothing about it would make our engines more prone to problems.

The PC V, OTOH, was an “awakening” for the engine. It made me feel as if I had bought a different bike, and a better one from a performance standpoint.

But discussions on this forum about the benefits of either seem few and far between. They seem guided by the opinions of one or two members that push the conversation to “I like my bike just the way it is” and the thread stalls out.

Anyway, I am very happy Don re-flashed my ECU before being shut down, and really pleased with my Power Commander V.

To each his own…
 
Welcome to the forum, 1973cb750.
 
Was Don’s reflashing of the ECUs otherworldly in terms of technical knowledge or required equipment? Or can this be something that someone else attempts to perform as well? I am one of those that hummed and hawed about losing the speed and rev limiter and whether it was worthwhile or not. Now that Don won’t do any more reflashing, I’m just curious if it might be something that someone else could pick up without advertising…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Good question, run-tmc. I’ve wondered the same myself. I guess there’s an awful lot of settings in an ECU and you either have to have software that tells you what they all are or very substantial knowledge and patience to figure it all out. I’m sure of one thing: it’s a long way above my pay grade.
 
Back
Top