Does your CB1100 vibrate?

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Can't say that mine does, which is to say, I never notice any vibrations. Its smooth as silk. But, I keep hearing others here on the forum making mention of their bikes with vibrations. Hence, just to try to quantify this issue (or non-issue) I'm starting this poll. Please reply accordingly. TIA.
 
This is going to be more of a poll about who notices or is bothered by vibration, as all I-4 will vibrate to some degree (i.e. secondary imbalance). Balance weights can help at some rpms, but can't eliminate it completely.

I only notice the handlebar vibe at freeway speed (around 4250 rpm 75 mph) because it suddenly disappears at about 5K rpm.

It's never really bothered me and is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. Years spent on shaky, 360 degree parallel twins mean my vibe threshold is pretty darned high.
 
It's got the normal engine harmonics from an inline 4 at certain RPMs. You're not going to balance a quarter on the engine at redline like you can on my Lexus LS, but it's definitely not anything out of the ordinary or excessive.
 
If I understand Honda correct, the vibrations
are intended. Sort of providing an old feel
into a new machine. But they are miles away
from a really vibrating bike like my once
ridden Kawa Ltd 750 Twin. The ones the
CB produces are neglectable and in their
way entertaining, so you get an idea that
the engine is running.:D

Wisedrum
 
Power of suggestion. I voted no, but on my ride this morning this poll got in my head and now I notice it. Thanks.

Not changing my vote, though, because I'm sure I will stop noticing it after awhile.
 
I have to concentrate on feeling the vibration to notice it and then it is minor and in limited rpm range. It you think it vibrates go ride on older HD or any twin. After riding those when you jump back on the CB you will think there is no vibration.
 
Elipten_imp said:
I have to concentrate on feeling the vibration to notice it and then it is minor and in limited rpm range. It you think it vibrates go ride on older HD or any twin. After riding those when you jump back on the CB you will think there is no vibration.
Before buying my CB I tried a Harley 883 Iron. Nothing more to say. :rofl:
 
When a HD pulls up next to me at a stop light and I see that engine shake and the handle bars vibrate up and down a couple of inches, I wonder how people ride them and the amount of nerve and other tissue damage. And then I know why I love my CB1100 and and K75.
 
All right, I'm tired of hearing about those K75s. I looked them up and now I want one! ;)
 
Thread starter
In the "old days" the vibration on a motorcycle was visibly evident in the rear view mirror(s). At certain engine revs, the image in the mirror would blur from all the vibrations. You could also feel it in the handlebar grips. I have not noticed any blurring whatsoever in my CB1100's mirrors while cruising at slow speeds or well past the freeway speed limit. I can't feel it in the grips either. I'm sure there is actually a very small amount, but I just can't see or feel it.
 
For me, it is the specific type of vibration that the CB1100 delivers, a fairly prominent tingling in the seat and bars right in the middle of the rev range, and it bothers me quite a bit. Particularly in my 'gentleman's region.'

I just got back from a spirited 50 mile run on a '96 Ducati 900 SS, and while it is a booming V-twin, the low frequency vibrations don't bother me much. The CB, I end up short shifting it to avoid the tingles, and it detracts from the overall experience. My experience only, but real, nonetheless.
 
I will note that I can tell my body feels the cumulative effects of the vibrations. If I go for a longer ride, I can no longer feel the haptic feedback from my cellphone (the little vibration it makes ever time you press a key to simulate a real keyboard) for about 3 or 4 hours after. If I go all day my hands get a bit numb, but this is true of every bike I've owned.
 
kmoney_imp said:
I will note that I can tell my body feels the cumulative effects of the vibrations. If I go for a longer ride, I can no longer feel the haptic feedback from my cellphone (the little vibration it makes ever time you press a key to simulate a real keyboard) for about 3 or 4 hours after. If I go all day my hands get a bit numb, but this is true of every bike I've owned.
lotta $10 words there but somehow i feel there may be a touch of satire in there somewhere
Capo_imp said:
For me, it is the specific type of vibration that the CB1100 delivers, a fairly prominent tingling in the seat and bars right in the middle of the rev range, and it bothers me quite a bit. Particularly in my 'gentleman's region.'

I just got back from a spirited 50 mile run on a '96 Ducati 900 SS, and while it is a booming V-twin, the low frequency vibrations don't bother me much. The CB, I end up short shifting it to avoid the tingles, and it detracts from the overall experience. My experience only, but real, nonetheless.
is your take on this a priori or a posteriori? Hume may differ with your take lol

are we talking perceived vibes or measurable

in my case everything is a posterior :thumbsup:
 
I voted no. In the rev range I ride in the CB is smooth as silk. Nearly every bike I ride, and I test ride a lot of bikes, vibrate a lot more than the CB, some excessively so. My brothers Bonneville doesn't vibrate either per se, but there is a throbbing sensation going on that's hard to explain. I think it's the 270 degree firing order at work, but other than the throbbing it is real smooth for a liter bike plus parallel twin.

My (3) 650 Yamaha parallel twins vibrated. They would walk themselves across the garage floor while idling on the centerstand and would shake bulbs apart if taken into the upper end of the rev zone. My (2) 883 Sportsters would make my hands itch like I had poison ivy on the palms if I tried to ride them on the freeway. sometimes vibrations are easier to recognize than others.

I told my son the FJ-09 vibrated. He disagreed and bought one. Now he has put on rubber covered footpegs and the other day asked me about filling the handlebars with shot or sand to dampen the vibrations.
 
Ride this afternoon. No vibration felt. Can you add a poll choice "yes, but it's not much and I don't really care about it at all" ? I'll choose that one. ;)
 
I guess that I should qualify my does not vibrate vote. So...I went out for a ride this afternoon, and sitting at a stoplight, yes I could feel the engine "vibrating" like a buzz. Cruising down the road, same thing. However, I never noticed it before this thread:) No it is not an issue, and it is just the character of the bike. I will also say that my last bike was a Harley Davidson, so vibrations on a bike to me are relative, and subjective.
 
Elipten_imp said:
When a HD pulls up next to me at a stop light and I see that engine shake and the handle bars vibrate up and down a couple of inches, I wonder how people ride them and the amount of nerve and other tissue damage. And then I know why I love my CB1100 and and K75.
Unless it's an old sportster they do not vibrate when you are riding them.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
No vibration on my CB at all. None with the stock handle bars and none with the renthals I installed

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top