Does your CB1100 vibrate?

Not enough to be really noticeable,so I vote no.Get a pair of motorcycle gloves,they should absorb any minor vibes to the hands.As far as the other vibration goes you're on your own.Good luck with that.
 
actually you cant say yes OR no...

there has been an article about the development of the CB1100 published after the EX model came out, and there you could read that around 4000RPM they wanted to give it a slight V-twin character.

And effectively, you can feel vibrations through the handlebar at around 4000rpm to around 4500rpm.
Below and above that, its smooth as silk.

EDIT:
for that small band of 500 rpm you feel vibrations, even less, I voted "No, my Deluxe doesn't vibrate"
(actually its an Ex)
Elipten_imp said:
When a HD pulls up next to me at a stop light and I see that engine shake and the handle bars vibrate up and down a couple of inches, I wonder how people ride them and the amount of nerve and other tissue damage. And then I know why I love my CB1100 and and K75.
I just experienced the same situation past week, twice.

First a young guy riding a blacked out Street Glide, I looked at him and I saw that engine shake like crazy at idle....

Than I looked at him and began to exaggerate and imitate him sitting all shaken up on his bike while saying, lots of vibrations huh :)
He laughed and I laughed and we both minded our own business.

Afterwards I saw a couple on another blacked out Street Glide.

It was actually the first time I noticed how much a Harley twin shakes...its almost extreme to see.

My dad has a XV1900/Stratoliner.
a394a591e2ff00d130fc1f0cfd4fa03e.jpg

But I can't remember that V twin shake that much in idle.
And its no smooth free ride either.
 
I'm arriving late to this party, but thought I would jump in anyway.
The Canadian CB is neither a standard or a deluxe. It has a 4 into 1 exhaust but also many deluxe features in electronics, ABS, etc., so I didn't cast a vote.
All bikes vibrate, but my CB vibrates so little that I don't even think about it. It's of no concern to me at all.
My butt gives out long before there is any concern about vibration :P
My answer is a weak yes, but a strong no.
I just ride it and enjoy.
 
it does vibrate, I can tell it is running that way. Try to enjoy it. I would keep checking the tach, to see if it is on, if it did not. The wheels also turn when I am going down the road. I can use the mirrors at any speed, I think they are amazing bikes, no complaints here. I just wish they had wire wheels and 4 into 4 exhaust stock.
 
redbirds_imp said:
There is some vibration but hardly noticeable and not at all irritating. Actually a pretty smooth mill for an in-line four.
arn't in-line 4's famous for being smooth?
 
LongRanger_imp said:
No. Can you say BMW K100?
hmm, a BMW inline 4 to enforce your argument...now is that engine the rule or the execption to the rule?


I always thought: More cylinders, more smoothness...
 
Riko_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
There is some vibration but hardly noticeable and not at all irritating. Actually a pretty smooth mill for an in-line four.
arn't in-line 4's famous for being smooth?
arn't in-line 4's famous for being smooth?
To be smooth an in-line four needs a balance shaft. Now an in-line six, that's smooth.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Riko_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
There is some vibration but hardly noticeable and not at all irritating. Actually a pretty smooth mill for an in-line four.
arn't in-line 4's famous for being smooth?
arn't in-line 4's famous for being smooth?
To be smooth an in-line four needs a balance shaft. Now an in-line six, that's smooth.
arn't in-line 4's famous for being smooth?
To be smooth an in-line four needs a balance shaft. Now an in-line six, that's smooth.
How smooth are goldwings compared to inline sixes?

There is only 1 inline six currently available, BMW's K1600. And from what I see on youtube, thays indeed one smooth powerplant.
 
After coming off HDs, I would say NO. I have bad wrists and the HD would kill them after a couple of hours. I can ride the CB for a day and have no wrist or hand issues, well....maybe after a day of twisties, but then it would be from holding on too tight, not the vibration.
 
Chapomis_imp said:
After coming off HDs, I would say NO. I have bad wrists and the HD would kill them after a couple of hours. I can ride the CB for a day and have no wrist or hand issues, well....maybe after a day of twisties, but then it would be from holding on too tight, not the vibration.
I came from a KZ400 twin. I also feel no vibration from the CB1100, even after riding all day.

Occasionally, if I'm tense and wear my thin gloves, I can feel residual vibration. It's a reminder for me to relax.
 
Haystack_imp said:
If a machine does not vibrate when it's running, I have no interest in riding it.
I have a friend whose wife wouldn't let him replace their washing machine for this exact reason.
 
Riko_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
No. Can you say BMW K100?
hmm, a BMW inline 4 to enforce your argument...now is that engine the rule or the execption to the rule?


I always thought: More cylinders, more smoothness...
hmm, a BMW inline 4 to enforce your argument...now is that engine the rule or the execption to the rule?


I always thought: More cylinders, more smoothness... Google "primary and secondary balance." In general, you are right, since there is a smaller time between cylinder firings, but only certain designs are inherently balanced -- I6, 90° V8 w/counterweights, V12 and others...
 
Thread starter
I remember about 25 years ago there was a demonstration given by GM after first introducing the 1990 ZR-1 Corvette.

A nickel coin was balanced on edge on top of a running LT5 engine. This engine was developed by Lotus Engineering under contract to Chevrolet. It was an all aluminum V8 design, with DOHCs (32 valves), the first of its kind used in the mass produced ZR-1 Corvette, with a whooping $60,000 MSRP at the time. The LT5 made 375 BHP and 370 ft-lbs TQ with a redline of 7,000 rpm, and able to obtain a fuel economy of 25 mpg. Impressive!

To verify this "coin trick" could be done, I successfully did it myself on my own 1990 ZR-1. Does that mean there was zero vibration? No, just not enough to be of significance. Same for my CB1100.

Long story short, once while my ZR-1 was idling in my garage, without the parking brake set, I became distracted and left the garage. After a period of several minutes while I was away, all by itself, the car slowly inched its way forward and eventually rolled outside and "DOWN" my driveway, and came to a stop after impacting my neighbors fence across the street.

YES, ALL ROTATING MACHINES VIBRATE, only some do so more than others. lol
 
Back
Top