Does bike know when it's running?

AZrider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
If you hit the starter button while the bike is on, does it do what the others have done for years or does it know it's running and nothing happens?
 
Well, on page 18-2 of the service manual is a starter system wiring diagram.

The starter relay coil will have 12v on one side if the ignition switch is on, the stop (or kill) switch is closed, and the starter switch is pushed. This assumes the fuses are good.

The other side of the coil gets ground from either the sidestand switch being closed (stand up) and clutch switch closed (clutch being pulled) or from the neutral switch being in the neutral poisition.

There is nothing in the schematic that has anything to do with the engine running.

I wouldn't push the start switch with the engine running just to see. Motocycle parts are not cheap.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well, on page 18-2 of the service manual is a starter system wiring diagram.

The starter relay coil will have 12v on one side if the ignition switch is on, the stop (or kill) switch is closed, and the starter switch is pushed. This assumes the fuses are good.

The other side of the coil gets ground from either the sidestand switch being closed (stand up) and clutch switch closed (clutch being pulled) or from the neutral switch being in the neutral poisition.

There is nothing in the schematic that has anything to do with the engine running.

I wouldn't push the start switch with the engine running just to see. Motocycle parts are not cheap.
Yeah, I was being a little bit of a smartass, probably best not to try it. I do have to ask the original poster, though -- why are you even curious about this?
 
Thread starter
I have pushed it already and not once but twice. I was going down the road and tried to hit the flashers and hit the start button by mistake the first time and a bump in the road made me hit it a second time. Between the helmet and ear plugs, not sure what I heard. Just curious what really happened.
 
interesting...

I *think* most (all ?) starters have a one-way clutch or ratchet.. if the engine is spinning faster than the connected starter motor, then the running starter is disengaged from the running engine. This would take care of the more normal case of holding the starter button down a little too long (continuing to run the starter even after the engine has started).
 
AZ, I doubt accidentally engaging the starter like that will do any lasting harm. When I was a kid, we had an older and a newer Toyota Corrolla. My mom used the wrong key in the older one, somehow got it inserted, twisted the key, but it stuck in the 'start' position. She drove all over town, probably 10 miles total with the starter engaged the whole time! :@ Yeah, it did ruin the starter, but she made it home! A couple little accidental and brief starts like you did are nothing in comparison so I wouldn't worry about it.
 
AZ, Thats happened to me many times on other bikes, nothing happens except a little zing kind of spinning noise. No grinding or anything scary, you wouldn't hear it with a helmet on.
I hit it on the CB with the same results, bikes are smart. You and I have done no damage at all.
 
You'd think deep in the 21st century, and with all the digital functionality about the bike, that the company would lock-out the starter from being started when the engine is already firing. On the flip side, because it is still common amongst many vehicles, it could be a source of bonus parts and labour revenue.
 
I know this is an old post, but I took a "leave of absence" for a few months.
The starter motor engages via an overrunning clutch.

Hitting the starter button closes the starter relay and the starter turns...but without engaging the engine when the engine is running.

No harm, no foul, no issue.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
I know this is an old post, but I took a "leave of absence" for a few months.
The starter motor engages via an overrunning clutch.

Hitting the starter button closes the starter relay and the starter turns...but without engaging the engine when the engine is running.

No harm, no foul, no issue.
Never understood why it couldn't be done in the 20th century.

I guess there was money to be made in starter component replacement.
 
Triumph got around this potential problem... engine won't start unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

The UPS driver who drops off at our office forgets his truck is running nearly daily. He drops off boxes, we chat for a few minutes, then he runs back to his truck and I hear the sickening crunch of him trying to start his already running truck. Ouch.
 
I've driven a manual Toyota Corolla that won't start unless the clutch is depressed.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I've driven a manual Toyota Corolla that won't start unless the clutch is depressed.
FYI, mandatory in Canada for at least three decades as a safety feature ...some call it ignition lock switch
:)
 
I have never owned an automatic car, but manuals are getting harder to find. My cousin had to special order a BMW 4-series coupe to get a manual, four months for delivery. My boss found a used 4-series in manual, and was engaged in a bidding war for it. A good friend wanted a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang convertible with a manual. Six month delivery. All US manuals have had the clutch-only start for years now as well.

My current Fiesta better last a long time...

I worked at Disneyland in the 80s. There was a fleet of service trucks roaming the parking lot, guided by spotters in towers with a complete view of the lot. Among other things, they were looking for guests with hoods up. There had been several instances where a good Samaritan would try to help jump-start someone else's dead car. Two cars, nose-to-nose, cabled up, usually with someone standing between them. If one car was a manual, and the engine was started in gear without the clutch in, wham, bad day for the guy between the cars, and we sue Disney as it was on their property. The service trucks would try to get there to help before someone might hurt themselves.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I have never owned an automatic car, but manuals are getting harder to find. My cousin had to special order a BMW 4-series coupe to get a manual, four months for delivery. My boss found a used 4-series in manual, and was engaged in a bidding war for it. A good friend wanted a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang convertible with a manual. Six month delivery. All US manuals have had the clutch-only start for years now as well.

My current Fiesta better last a long time...

I worked at Disneyland in the 80s. There was a fleet of service trucks roaming the parking lot, guided by spotters in towers with a complete view of the lot. Among other things, they were looking for guests with hoods up. There had been several instances where a good Samaritan would try to help jump-start someone else's dead car. Two cars, nose-to-nose, cabled up, usually with someone standing between them. If one car was a manual, and the engine was started in gear without the clutch in, wham, bad day for the guy between the cars, and we sue Disney as it was on their property. The service trucks would try to get there to help before someone might hurt themselves.
2019 Kia Soul base model, 1.6 liter, 6 speed manual, no remote door operation, but cruise control can be added for ~$70 in Kia parts.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I have never owned an automatic car, but manuals are getting harder to find. My cousin had to special order a BMW 4-series coupe to get a manual, four months for delivery. My boss found a used 4-series in manual, and was engaged in a bidding war for it. A good friend wanted a 2018 Ecoboost Mustang convertible with a manual. Six month delivery. All US manuals have had the clutch-only start for years now as well.

My current Fiesta better last a long time...

I worked at Disneyland in the 80s. There was a fleet of service trucks roaming the parking lot, guided by spotters in towers with a complete view of the lot. Among other things, they were looking for guests with hoods up. There had been several instances where a good Samaritan would try to help jump-start someone else's dead car. Two cars, nose-to-nose, cabled up, usually with someone standing between them. If one car was a manual, and the engine was started in gear without the clutch in, wham, bad day for the guy between the cars, and we sue Disney as it was on their property. The service trucks would try to get there to help before someone might hurt themselves.
2019 Kia Soul base model, 1.6 liter, 6 speed manual, no remote door operation, but cruise control can be added for ~$70 in Kia parts.
2019 Kia Soul base model, 1.6 liter, 6 speed manual, no remote door operation, but cruise control can be added for ~$70 in Kia parts.
Sorry - have to ask: In few words, how is the 1.6L 6-speed Soul? Punchy enough?
 
Back
Top