Do your gears "clunk" while downshifting?

GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Heaven forbid if this Forum becomes an Infomercial.






( ... RLET powder? Maybe meant was RLET power? )
It won't.

GoldOxide_imp said:
Heaven forbid if this Forum becomes an Infomercial.






( ... RLET powder? Maybe meant was RLET power? )
He didn't. PB has deliberately not yet drunk the Cool Aid. Sooner or later his folly will catch up with him. That will be sad, but he will not be able to say that his friends didn't warn him.
He didn't. PB has deliberately not yet drunk the Cool Aid. Sooner or later his folly will catch up with him. That will be sad, but he will not be able to say that his friends didn't warn him.
I hear what you say, and feel for PB. But I've got double trouble myself to deal with. The Precious twins keep whispering from the dark storage place.
He didn't. PB has deliberately not yet drunk the Cool Aid. Sooner or later his folly will catch up with him. That will be sad, but he will not be able to say that his friends didn't warn him.
I hear what you say, and feel for PB. But I've got double trouble myself to deal with. The Precious twins keep whispering from the dark storage place.
Cormanus_imp said:
You are on the path, GoldOxide. Don't be precipitate or the little buggers may freeze to your hands.
GoldOxide_imp said:
There is trickery in play here. I suspect when I am least attentive, it will be my weakest moment. Determine time and forces will do.
peterbaron_imp said:
Only feeling winter pinch so far...
International RLETs recall is coming, sorry for these who already installed'em :s
:)
GoldOxide_imp said:
:rofl: ... oh, this will never end I can see.
Winter is responsible for all these gags..it will naturally die in spring :P
 
yap...
if we didn't gag/argue, forum would be less interesting, and you would never score 1652 :P
 
More of a click with some tactile feed back for me when downshifting on the move.

Must say, I love the clunk and little jump the bikes makes when selecting 1st when at a standstill, like it's saying "let's go...."

On the other hand, I get no such noises or tactile feedback when selecting 5th. Getting into 5th first time is not a guaranteed result sadly.
 
Most likely cause not shifting deliberately
 
Cormanus_imp said:
HR, you’re so right about the clunk when selecting first.

Is your problem with 5th shifting up or down? (I can’t remember whether you have a 2013 bike or later.)

Edit: I just saw the picture here http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2481&pid=230105#pid230105 so it must be upshifting. It sounds odd. An you describe what happens? Or doesn’t?
Don't most standard shift m/c's go "clunk" into first gear when stopped? I don't recall any that didn't.
 
You could well be right Ferret. Got new boots so no longer using 'normal every day' ones that had more feeling to the top of the foot, however, where all the upshifts to 2, 3, and 4 snick into place quite nicely, getting into 5th takes 2 or 3 attempts. Becoming niggled by it a tad.

But I'll keep on being more 'deliberate' and keep on getting used to the boots and hopefully will learn to shift 'properly'

When it does go in, it's very slick, more to do with the lever moving than hearing/feeling it change gear as with the others if you follow.
 
I've just started wearing some new boots too and they've changed my relationship with the gear lever. I notice it more when shifting down, they seem to leave me having more weight on the lever which means it doesn't quite return to the point where it's ready to move down to the next gear. It's taking a bit of getting used to.

I wonder why one gear would be notably different?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I've just started wearing some new boots too and they've changed my relationship with the gear lever. I notice it more when shifting down, they seem to leave me having more weight on the lever which means it doesn't quite return to the point where it's ready to move down to the next gear. It's taking a bit of getting used to.

I wonder why one gear would be notably different?
Interesting comment. I am wondering (seriously) if this is somewhat related to the uncommon "1.5" bounce during the 2-to-1 transition?
 
I bought new boots to ride the FJR ( they make me taller lol) and I had to move the shift lever. ANd I can't wear them when riding the CB because it really messes up my shifting.

I would say if it wasnt an issue before the new boots, that's the place I would look at second. i'd still look at lazy shifting first, because when you are accelerating up thru the gears you are more deliberate than when you are done accelerating and just shifting into the " cruising gear".
 
With the bike idling in neutral, the crankshaft turns the clutch that rides on the mainshaft. The mainshaft has 1st gear machined into it, and the whole clutch and mainshaft/1st gear are all turning happily at around 665 rpm.

When the clutch lever (and RLET) are pulled in, oil friction between the clutch plates causes the mainshaft to continue to spin. Mainshaft 1st gear (12 tooth) is always meshed with the larger 1st gear (38 tooth) on the countershaft. (constant-mesh gearbox)

Because the rear wheel is not turning, the countershaft also is not turning. Countershaft 1st gear however, is spinning freely at around 210 rpm

When you put it in 1st, gear dogs splined to the stationary countershaft are forced sideways into matching slots on the side of countershaft 1st gear spinning at 210 rpm, locking that free-spinning gear to teh countershaft.

CLUNK!

Suddenly, both 1st gears, both shafts, and the inner clutch hub have to come to an abrupt halt.

That's why the clunk and lurch.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
With the bike idling in neutral, the crankshaft turns the clutch that rides on the mainshaft. The mainshaft has 1st gear machined into it, and the whole clutch and mainshaft/1st gear are all turning happily at around 665 rpm.

When the clutch lever (and RLET) are pulled in, oil friction between the clutch plates causes the mainshaft to continue to spin. Mainshaft 1st gear (12 tooth) is always meshed with the larger 1st gear (38 tooth) on the countershaft. (constant-mesh gearbox)

Because the rear wheel is not turning, the countershaft also is not turning. Countershaft 1st gear however, is spinning freely at around 210 rpm

When you put it in 1st, gear dogs splined to the stationary countershaft are forced sideways into matching slots on the side of countershaft 1st gear spinning at 210 rpm, locking that free-spinning gear to teh countershaft.

CLUNK!

Suddenly, both 1st gears, both shafts, and the inner clutch hub have to come to an abrupt halt.

That's why the clunk and lurch.
Fascinating how RLET spirit almost appears like another dimension descending upon Forum threads.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HR, you’re so right about the clunk when selecting first.

Is your problem with 5th shifting up or down? (I can’t remember whether you have a 2013 bike or later.)

Edit: I just saw the picture here http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2481&pid=230105#pid230105 so it must be upshifting. It sounds odd. An you describe what happens? Or doesn’t?
Don't most standard shift m/c's go "clunk" into first gear when stopped? I don't recall any that didn't.
The Beemers with dry clutch don't.
 
Django_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
HR, you’re so right about the clunk when selecting first.

Is your problem with 5th shifting up or down? (I can’t remember whether you have a 2013 bike or later.)

Edit: I just saw the picture here http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2481&pid=230105#pid230105 so it must be upshifting. It sounds odd. An you describe what happens? Or doesn’t?
Don't most standard shift m/c's go "clunk" into first gear when stopped? I don't recall any that didn't.
The Beemers with dry clutch don't.
The Beemers with dry clutch don't.
Right, of course. Good point Django.
 
No, airhead Beemers with automotive dry clutches don't, but you have to periodically take the gearbox out to lubricate the transmission splines.

Just like every car with a dry clutch.

Oops, sorry, I meant UNLIKE every car with a dry clutch!
 
pekingduck_imp said:
No, airhead Beemers with automotive dry clutches don't, but you have to periodically take the gearbox out to lubricate the transmission splines.

Just like every car with a dry clutch.

Oops, sorry, I meant UNLIKE every car with a dry clutch!
Sounds like a PITA PKDuck. Did not know.
 
rjk555_imp said:
Greetings to the other CB1100 riders. I wanted to find out of one of the actions on my bike is shared with other riders. My CB "clunks" into gear when I downshift gears - particularly first and second gear. By "clunking" I mean that there is a very physical sensation as the gears transition. The clunk is not limited to instances when the bike is moving and I downshift to engine brake. It happens when the bike is not moving and I downshift as well.

Upshifting is smooth.

Thank you for any input.
Mine clunks up shifting and down shifting.
 
Back
Top