do you use your cb as a commuter

I did not intend to use the CB as a commuter but have been doing so the last couple months. I have a 50 mile round trip and have some traffic to deal with, I can go the back way and avoid the freeway altogether but still have to get over the bridge which can be heavy with traffic. I'm not a lane cutter but will snake my way through if the traffic is stopped or very slow.
I have been getting between 43 and 53 MPG depending on how I drive.
 
I commute 41 miles each way. I average about 47mpg on my commute which is a mix of 35-75 and 75-85. When I go up into the canyons, you can't do much more than 40 because of traffic so I tend to get about 59mpg two up.

I have a deflector shield EX and a laam custom seat to make things a little more comfortable.
 
Yes, except during winter season, and especially since I transverse at least two independent weather regions which makes planning rather inconvenient. My commute round trip is currently 160 kms. Fuel economy is really good (compared to caging), even when heavy-handed. Range typically is 5.1 to 6 L/100 km during the commute. Non-city leisure riding is typically 5.0 L/100 and better. I use a Dart Marlin for a wind screen.
 
Long since retired so no commuting for me, in fact, I was only a 30 minute walk from work so walked nearly every day from May to October.
 
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
jodytek_imp said:
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.
 
The ferret_imp said:
jodytek_imp said:
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.
I'm guessing you wouldn't have much use for this ...

3f5a7a2d2d3cd1a83c788d1b106ff4be.jpg
 
The ferret_imp said:
jodytek_imp said:
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.

I totally hear you, being native of Dayton, and also living in Cincinnati for a stretch, I do enjoy living a little more south. But even with that, it was a really rainy year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
yea sometimes I wouldn't mind living a little further south than I do, but it beats living in Canada bwaahaahaaa (sorry Rocky, Oxide PB etc)
RockHop_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
jodytek_imp said:
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.
I'm guessing you wouldn't have much use for this ...

3f5a7a2d2d3cd1a83c788d1b106ff4be.jpg
I'm guessing you wouldn't have much use for this ...

d830967e6d7fefe2fbebaf80dbf94764.jpg

:rofl: that would fill up in about 2 seconds here about every 3rd day.
 
RockHop_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
jodytek_imp said:
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.
I'm guessing you wouldn't have much use for this ...

3f5a7a2d2d3cd1a83c788d1b106ff4be.jpg
I'm guessing you wouldn't have much use for this ...

76fdc4cb4a9c365f91eb329f8fe7c916.jpg

Makes a small ice cube tray in my neck of the woods.
 
I usually commute a couple times a week on my CB1100 when the weather is warmer. I have a 10 mile trip each way that is 100% city riding, so I average around 40 mpg. I found it is a better bike for commuting than my wife’s CBR500R, mostly due to its incredible brakes.
 
I tend to commute on my CB- I had over 36,000mi on my last one before I crashed it, about 12k/year. I travel all over SoCal for work, sometimes a few hundred miles a day and sometimes less than 10 depending on where court is that day. With lane-splitting I've never been late due to traffic and I get great mpg, can do all the work myself, and it's cheap to maintain so I don't fear putting miles on it like I did when I had a German car. It's great!
 
I cannot tell you what my gas mileage is. I fill up at about 125-130 miles and have stretched that to 155 miles once or twice. I have commuted work more this year than in previous years, but it's such a short trip that I usually take a 10-15 mile round-about route to get there and home. I guess I don't quite understand the question about fuel economy, but that may be because I live and work within 2 miles of a gas station. The bike is a perfect fit for my combination of commuting, day riding, and touring. I just need some heated gear for the winter.

Your bike looks great. I'm glad your enjoying your time with it.
 
I commute 47 miles one way, 4 days a week on my 14 CB1100. I get 45 mpg. I ride aggressively at high speeds averaging 80 and at slow speed splitting traffic. I’ve been doing it for 3 years now on this bike. It had 2 miles on it when I bought it, I’m approaching 52,000 miles now..... love riding this bike!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes, I commute, when there's not snow and ice. That gives me three seasons of commuting/riding here in Utah. We don't get much rain, but we get a whole lot of snow. That's what four wheelers are for!
 
jodytek_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
jodytek_imp said:
I commute on mine about 40 miles round trip, but only in fair weather. Rain has been a frequent show stopper for me this year.

But any day above 60, sunny and no rain, I’ll be on that CB, otherwise I am in my other Honda. A 2012 Ridgeline ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.

I totally hear you, being native of Dayton, and also living in Cincinnati for a stretch, I do enjoy living a little more south. But even with that, it was a really rainy year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those would be pretty narrow parameters for SW Ohio. I'd get to ride about 30 days a year lol

Right now we are on the 4th most rain fall in this area on record at 55" this year. May get to #3 as they are predicting 1 1/2 to 2" maybe in the last few days of the year.

certainly ridden in a lot of rain this year.

I totally hear you, being native of Dayton, and also living in Cincinnati for a stretch, I do enjoy living a little more south. But even with that, it was a really rainy year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
Finally yesterday was a decent day, high's near 60, a little overcast, and free time on the schedule. Mrs jodytek and I got the bikes out of the garage and took a ride into downtown Nashville, about 40 miles round trip. It sure felt good to be out. on the way back we stopped in at our favorite wine and spirits shop and found a little gem, so that gave me something to post on one of my other favorite forums.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/com...-fall-2018/?do=findComment&comment=596407

Hoping to get a few more days in where I can, and thinking harder about adding a big ugly windshield so that I may be able to brave a few more days in the year. I don't yet have a GoPro to get some good pics for sharing so all I have for now is the out of the garage photo.
[/QUOTE]
 
I commute 48 miles round trip almost all of it on the Turnpike. My mileage experience mirrors yours pretty closely. Taking it easy one can get 45/gallon or so, but riding aggressively makes the mileage come down pretty dramatically. Some days I take the supersport and go a tad faster. Mileage is lousy but I get to work fast. Mostly just go on the CB1100.
 
Back
Top