Do you use Facebook? (post-forum alternative)

Regardless of whether you prefer donkeys or elephants, FB has done pretty much everything they could - for money - to mess up our country and society. It zuck(erberg)s. No way will I ever forgive and use FB again.
 
I have a Facebook account. Can't tell you the last time I looked at it or did anything with it.
But, if the only alternative to keeping THIS group together is Facebook, then that's what we have to do.
It's the way this sort of online communication is migrating.
In a similar vein, while I normally cruise Craig's for motorcycle stuff, I'm now looking at Facebook Marketplace. I don't check my own page, I just click on Marketplace.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Regardless of whether you prefer donkeys or elephants, FB has done pretty much everything they could - for money - to mess up our country and society. It zuck(erberg)s. No way will I ever forgive and use FB again.
+1
 
I sort of went through this situation a number of years ago with another forum that I was a founding member of. We had a great group of members, like here, that felt more like family than anything else, and the original forum manager went awol. I took it upon myself to create an alternative in order to maintain a place for the original members to continue to communicate like we were all used to, and in the end, I created basically a clone using forumotion.com. The only downside was that I was not able to move over the old data from the previous iteration, but we were able to continue our group and are still there today.

It is not the ideal solution, but it is an easy and free way to run a forum. It provides an alternative that is a million times better than Facebook as it still has the same structure as this forum.

So, if somebody is willing to look into it, that could be another alternative for the future.
 
Thank you. Maybe you should leave it unfindable for the time being till we determine the forum’s future.
 
Not sure who here is familiar with Discord or Slack but those maybe better alternatives.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I'm on Facebook. I belong to several CB1100 Facebook groups as well.

They aren't replacements for this forum, but this forum isn't perfect either.

Remember, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

I have found this forum to be friendly and informative. I hope that a suitable replacement can be found.
 
Slack maybe not. Discord could be an option.

However, there are other modern blog services available that already have many other motorcycle and automobile forums.
 
I have zero desire to be in facebook.

And places like discord, telegram, Reddit aren't as friendly to navigate as a place to store knowledge and conversation.
 
I don't think anyone has addressed what I asked below. At some point, maybe 6 months ago, a few members were seemingly working on a transition to keep this site intact. IIRC, a few people spoke of having the tech skills and willingness to make it happen. If anything is going forward in that regard, I'd like to know. If there's a need for "mums the word" for the moment for whatever reason, I think we could all respect that, but I would just like to know that something is happening. But if nothing is happening, I would like to know that as well if possible.

I have been saving to a local drive certain threads that are important to me, and will continue to do so.

Would love to see the site remain open. Not sure if I would ever open a FB acct to access CB1100 info. Maybe I would because I love the input, sharing, ideas, photos, comaraderie, etc. that one has here. But maybe I wouldn't and would just deal with the void.

pdedse_imp said:
Nemo_imp said:
Given the impending closure of the forum it is important that we have a backup means of communication especially for the planning of the meets, rides and rallies.

Facebook already has various CB1100 groups and, honestly, sometimes it is difficult to know which is which. So, if transferring the forum to a new administrator is not an option, I suggest we (meaning EmptySea :cool: ) create a facebook group page aptly named CB1100 Forum. We could try to emulate Mickey and George's moderation rulebook and when people request to join the secret question could be "What was your screen name in the CB1100 Forum?" Just an idea...

Maybe we can even get Mickey and George to learn the facebooking... :D

What do you think?
Is that a given and is it impending? Last I read, some are working behind the scenes to keep it open? Anyone care to update that?
Is that a given and is it impending? Last I read, some are working behind the scenes to keep it open? Anyone care to update that?
 
I can only speak for myself (and I believe the same goes for Cormanus) but I have heard nothing from Bill (the owner of the forum) since the April announcement. I am in the dark the same as everyone else.

Just taking it day by day
 
Back
Top