Do dings and scratches drive you NUTS???

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I think I need therapy. When I see a new scratch or ding on my pride and joy I literally get depressed for a while. I think it really hurts my inner perfectionist, which I try not to be, because I know it's inevitable, but still....:@

I guess that's what happens when you have overly demanding parents growing up. Lol.

Maybe we can get a group therapy session going? :D
 
for me:

the first scratch is really traumatic.

the second scratch is strangely liberating as in "OK, now it is truly no longer *perfect* and my job is just to keep the rate of incoming to a minimum the best as I can"...
 
Yes, drives me bananas for days. My OCD takes over and I obsess about it. None on this bike yet but there is always a first, no matter what always that first one.
 
Thread starter
I bring this up cause I got a recently scratch on my Chic Sport seat and it absolutely drove me nuts. I mean, I just got the darn thing!

I was just having a crappy day to begin with. I had a date and the gas pumps were rejecting my credit card. I couldn't use my debit because there was recently some fraud on it and it hasn't been replaced.

So I had to cancel my date and on top of that noticed a mother-flippin scratch on my beautiful new seat! Pretty sure it happened while at the pumps during all my frustration.

I tried touch up pens but it just doesn't satisfy me. Scratch is rather deep. I'll probably take it to the body shop down the street. Oh well.
 
Doesn't bother me much. Boat hulls get barnacles, cars get door and rock dings and motorcycles get their scratches. I look in the mirror and see this old, gray haired man looking back at me and I wonder where my youth went. From the time it's created, everything, whether man or machine is headed to corruption. Best to enjoy the ride while you can and be thankful for full and wonderful days.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Doesn't bother me much. Boat hulls get barnacles, cars get door and rock dings and motorcycles get their scratches. I look in the mirror and see this old, gray haired man looking back at me and I wonder where my youth went. From the time it's created, everything, whether man or machine is headed to corruption. Best to enjoy the ride while you can and be thankful for full and wonderful days.
We'll said :thumbsup:
 
My mom used to tell me whenever I scratched/dented/dinged my new (fill in the blank) that I was giving it character. Then there's a story about a guy who would throw a handful of gravel on his new truck/car so he would stop obsessing about keeping it perfect and just enjoy it. Of course there's always therapy...
 
Yeah, they hurt. I remember thinking how much it was going to cost to repair the "dings".....as I was being dragged down the road by my foot which was trapped under my NC700 during a low side.

$870 spent in the last 2 days. It would take another 2 grand to make it perfect and that ain't happening. So I'm learning to live with a few scratches. But I don't have to like it.
 
My family laughs at me because whenever I get a new toy, that same day or at least that same week, I will put some kind of minor damage on it. Then I will use that thing for the next 5-10-15 years with no additional damage.

Short answer: yes they bother me for a week and then I do my best to blank it out and enjoy.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
for me:

the first scratch is really traumatic.

the second scratch is strangely liberating as in "OK, now it is truly no longer *perfect* and my job is just to keep the rate of incoming to a minimum the best as I can"...
Same here!
 
redbirds_imp said:
Doesn't bother me much. Boat hulls get barnacles, cars get door and rock dings and motorcycles get their scratches. I look in the mirror and see this old, gray haired man looking back at me and I wonder where my youth went. From the time it's created, everything, whether man or machine is headed to corruption. Best to enjoy the ride while you can and be thankful for full and wonderful days.
Exquisitely put, redbirds.
 
I'm with ya, man. I got a dent in my muffler not long after I got it. I let out a silent scream when it happened. That sort of eased the pressure a bit. Some scuffs where my legs hug the tank, the paint on the lower front of the engine where road debris is constantly kicked up by the front tire, and a scratch on the hand rails from a bungee cord. Each one gives me less and less pain. Still hurts though.
 
Yea I don't worry about it. My bike has a few little rock chips and some rub marks in the paint from my belly, and some scratchy swirls in the digital gear cover. ... And people say Hondas don't have any character. Mine does.
 
Y
redbirds_imp said:
Doesn't bother me much. Boat hulls get barnacles, cars get door and rock dings and motorcycles get their scratches. I look in the mirror and see this old, gray haired man looking back at me and I wonder where my youth went. From the time it's created, everything, whether man or machine is headed to corruption. Best to enjoy the ride while you can and be thankful for full and wonderful days.
The ferret_imp said:
Yea I don't worry about it. My bike has a few little rock chips and some rub marks in the paint from my belly, and some scratchy swirls in the digital gear cover. ... And people say Hondas don't have any character. Mine does.
I'm with you blokes. I will do a little work to clean up bad chip damage but with a well used bike some marks are inevitable.
The wrinkles from the laundromat of life, so to speak.

Cheers
 
That first "characterization" is always the worst. I have to remember that if I use it it's not gonna stay perfect. I'd rather be out burnin' up the road with my bike than sitting at home wiping it down with a diaper every day;).
 
Back
Top