DLX on Hold!

michael1954

Been there
Thread starter
I have not been able to log in or send messages, on the last day of work 2 weeks ago, I got hit with Bell's Palsy. I cannot hardly see out of my good, the one stuck open, and my right eye has been about half functioning since a tumor was removed from that eye over 20 years ago. There are probably typos in this, as my eye is watering lots. Just when school was to be out and I was going to get the DLX finally together....that is when what you do not expect, happens. I will not be replying to this post until the palsy goes away or when I can see again. Yes, I have been riding for over 20 years with only one good eye, but still I have yet to go down...knock on wood or my head. I know you guys always stand with any of us when we are down & out, but I am not out for good. To the gentlemne I have sent messages about the DLX tank, it is still good, I have just got to be be able to see to do anything. You guys all take care, I am going to be resting and doing therapy. Hope to reply to this post asap, Michael.
 
Michael, sorry to hear this. My SO got BP and she lost half of her face, her eye, and half of her smile. It took about 8 months to recover. Not sure how or where she picked up the virus.
 
Michael, sorry to hear.
I wish you speedy and full recovery, take care of yourself!!
 
Sorry to hear this Michael and wishing you a speedy and full recovery. Looking forward to your next post.
 
Crap - Michael, so sorry to learn of this infliction. Good vision is so critical to the enjoyment of riding.

May time heal you - let's hope so soon.
 
Sorry to learn of this Michael. Hope it gets better real quick and you are back to your favorite activities in short time. Best wishes.
 
Michael, that's very sad news. I'm sorry to hear it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 
7 years ago i got diagnosed with bells palsy, for me it was caused by a severe case of lyme disease, antibiotics cured the lyme and within months things were near normal, hope you have the same good luck i did, just wondering, been tested for lyme ?
 
Good luck Michael, my mother experienced the same but it passed reasonably quickly for her so I wish the same for you. Take care.
 
Thread starter
Hi guys! I am sort of back. My Bell's Palsy is not yet gone, but as of this last month, I have said, enough is enough, and started riding, a little, to work and back. Have been starting 3 of my 4 bikes that will start, and letting them run a few minutes to keep them alive. My GS1100 is going to need more. It has been 6 months, and it is getting a little better, enough for my vision to be about 80/90%. I have tried to work on the DLX and the GS1100, but my eyes cloud up or tear up too much. I may have to sell the DLX. I have got only about 600 miles on it, but I do not know how long before I can see well enough to replace all the parts that still need to be put on. I have still not put on the Gas tank, rear fender, front wheel, both exhaust pipes (with chrome covers) and headers on the side that was faded. I have too many parts to list that still need to go on. I have replaced the front fender, rear shocks, seat, both side covers and the engine covers on both sides. The battery has a trickle charger on it.
All new parts also include all new screws, nuts, bolts and washers. It is all recorded on the Parts Fish pages I ordered from. You can tell I spent at least 4 grand or more in parts, but I wanted it to be as nice as I could get. Right now my eye is clouding up, so excuse me if I do not catch all my typos. I miss talking with all of you guys, and maybe I should not be riding, but I just turned 68, and can still hold her up, so I am going to keep riding to work. I am mostly riding the Kawasaki since it is so light and loud. People can still hear me just in case I do not see them. You guys please help me with advice. Some of you know how long I looked for a DLX, and it still make me sad to think I may have to sell her.
If I do, it would have to be to someone who knows how to finish what I started.
But there may be no more low mileage DLX's out there.
 
G'day Michael, good to see you back. Short posts to give your eyes a break and, maybe, wait a while before finally deciding on selling the DLX. After all you've put plenty of money and love into it.
 
I tend to agree with Cormanus. Maybe hang in there a wee bit longer before the final decision. Maybe consider getting a trusted rider to take the ol' Deluxe out for a generous spin and video record the ride for your playback enjoyment. Ensure the sound quality is observed.
 
Michel, glad to hear from you...keep your DLX, you put so much work and heart into its glory!!
 
Hi Michael , sorry to hear about your health issues ; get well first and than worry about your bike . Hopefully you will be able to ride the DLX soon , do not sell the bike in a hurry as you might regret it later when you are fully recovered .
 
Houtman_imp said:
Hi Michael , sorry to hear about your health issues ; get well first and than worry about your bike . Hopefully you will be able to ride the DLX soon , do not sell the bike in a hurry as you might regret it later when you are fully recovered .
(+1) When all is better, you wouldn't want to replace that sold Deluxe with something better that you didn't know you liked. Hang on a bit longer - maybe until next summer and re-evaluate?
 
Michael, I sure hope you continue to improve and can get back to working on your DLX soon. I remember how excited you were when we talked about all you were going to do to bring it back to what it was when new.
 
Hi Michael,
Sincerely hoping your full recovery is soon.
I’m 8 months into my bells palsey and now about 95% recovered. My only lingering problem is an overactive tear duct and thats IMPROVING!
Hang in there buddy youre almost there!
sleeper/RajunCajun
 
Back
Top