DIY Top Box

Roper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
What I want in a top box:

- It has to be watertight.
- It has to be rugged.
- It has to be big enough to hold my camera bag.
- It has to carry a few other things for commuting.
- I have to be able to lock it.
- I'll bolt it directly to my OEM rack.
- It can't look stupid.

What I don't need:

- I don't care about name brands.
- I don't want aluminum.
- It doesn't need to hold a helmet.
- I don't care about matching panniers. I have soft bags I can put on for overnights.
- I don't want to pay a ridiculous amount of money.
- I don't need a quick release or an adapter bracket.

So, I found a Seahorse case that met my needs. It was half the price of Pelican cases, but just as strong and water tight. And made in the USA. Besides, Pelican didn't have one in the size I wanted. I bought the case new on Amazon. I bought the mounting hardware at the local ACE hardware store. I measured and marked, measured and checked the marks, and measured and checked a third time then drilled holes. I mounted the case directly to the rack and sealed around the bolts with silicone. Total investment: $65 and two hours.



 
And it looks great!!

Warning. You might as well take a pic or 2 of how you mounted it cause you’re going to get questions :)
 
Economical and it even looks good on the bike. can't beat that!
 
Roper, what size box (or model number) is that, please?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus and John: Yes, it's the Seahorse 540. You can get it in different colors, with or without foam. You can even contact Seahorse and they can do custom colors. I bought mine at Amazon-- $56 like in John's link.

And thanks for the compliments, y'all. I was really paranoid about getting the measurements right and drilling holes in the case. But everything turned out well. When I take it off, I think I'll make a template that can be used with other cases for that rack.
 
Thank, Roper. It looks great.
 
I went with the Emgo top box for $70. It offers an adapter plate and keyed release though. But it is waterproof and durable. Plus it is big enough for one helmet if needed. It carries my camera bag and other gear very well.
3115fcc5b84d1e22793146707dbe986b.jpg
 
I went looking for something for light-duty days ... day trips, small errands, etc. ... instead of cargo-netting a backpack to the rear rack (effective but untangling the net every time, etc., gets annoying when running multiple errands) ... or when the 42-quart Hepco & Becker top box is overkill.

Found this "tactical ammo box" at Harbor Freight. With 25% off coupon, it's $7.50 plus tax. I have a kid's backpack I bought at Walmart for $2, which is my grab bag for the two-wheelers ... has my Lezyne bike mini pump, flat plug repair kit, day/night glasses, cell phone, disc lock, sunscreen, hand towel and other items. The baby backpack fits perfectly inside the ammo box.

The box also had a hole for a padlock. Will post pictures once I get some u-clamps or such to mount it to the rack.

Harbor Freight item number 64113. Search "tactical ammo box."

 
Thread starter
That looks like a very inexpensive and interesting solution. Let us know how mounting goes! I used 6mm bolts with truss heads, washers, and lock nuts for mine. I drilled the holes slightly smaller, so the bolts would have a tight seal through the plastic. I also sealed with silicone.
 
It’s a great idea. I’m thinking about a large top box the size of Frulks—47 liters—for touring. I tend to stay in pubs and camp, and I’d like to have something lockable I can stow camping gear in and leave on the bike when I’m in a pub. I’d prefer not to leave it on the rest of the time as I have a more modest GIVI which is pretty handy. The box Frulk has would cost me what us Aussies call a ‘motser’ by the time I added freight. A DIY solution might work well.
 
Here's my install of the Harbor Freight "Tactical Ammo Box" item number 64113. I bought it with 25% off coupon for $7.49 + tax. I've seen them advertised recently on sale for $6.99.

Harbor Freight has a variety of box options in different sizes, materials and prices. I'm waiting for my Hepco & Becker 42-quart monster to arrive from Germany via ebay -- meanwhile I wanted something just to carry essentials for day trips without the previous hassle of cargo-netting a little backpack on and off every time I stop to use the bathroom, grab a drink from a gas station, etc.

The install on a Hepco & Becker rack:
1. Get the box using a coupon (pretty easy to get their coupons ... they email them to me, so I had several the cashier was able to scan off my phone).
2. Go to Home Depot and get #308 3/4" pipe U-bolt clamps for $0.98 each. I used two -- four is also an option. These are zinc but they also have stainless steel ones for three times the price.

884337323b9edbef5304d838d535022b.jpg


3. I centered the box on the rack, used a bungie cord to hold it in place while I positioned the clamps at the bottom and marked where the holes go with a silver Sharpie.
4. I rechecked the hole positions, used a drill (small starter bit, then larger) to drill the holes, then smoothed them out with a round file. My largest drill bit was the correct snug size for the clamps.
5. Insert clamps from the bottom and tighten then up using a 7/16" wrench. A long socket will be the next investment for popping it on and off quickly. These will be "snug" tight as the plastic and clamp long washer will deform as you tighten it down.

d358dfc728c15ec7772211633d9c862c.jpg


Here's a view from the bottom ... a bit of a camber to the clamps. :-/

deaa4453d0b03bf9974ea5300ddf9202.jpg


Here's what it looks like on the bike. The padlock is left over from my high school years in the 1970s. :sleepy:

5f05a2dbff069a9fddeaddfc1d6464c4.jpg


cf9d030c2ad5909891e55266c60ee0c0.jpg


So what's in the box? Here's my typical day trip carry gear:

ea1a85a326338db1321674a470d4fbe2.jpg


And here's everything loaded up, with room to spare:

da746bd60dab8106553f2d4c5473724e.jpg


Note the cargo net I can use on the back seat in case I pick up some irresistible larger item at a antique mall.

There's also a little top compartment for not-so-valuables, like these earplugs:

69064a50d27e076fcebefc1925f3576a.jpg
 
Took it on a 65-mile test ride, speeds from 30 to 80 mph. No issues. The usual clunk of loose contents rearranging on hard bumps, but that happens even with the most expensive top cases. Here's a side view ...

0265bf908439de6b1400fcc128554034.jpg


Stopped by Harbor Freight to pick up a deep 7/16" socket ... might as well spend the extra $5 and get the whole tool kit, right? :thumbsup: Used a 20% off coupon this time. Fit inside with everything else ...

25b297f24055ac4c281ace3b2bac79fa.jpg
 
Your bike is metric ya know...

Better use another coupon :P
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Your bike is metric ya know...

Better use another coupon :P
Metric tools I gotz out the wazoo ... :D


Just the occasional SAE nut I come across to motivate a purchase ... like the ones at Home Depot and most American hardware stores.
 
Looks very handy.

Yea things bouncing around in a top box happens no matter the price of the case. Drives me nuts sometimes.
 
Back
Top