DIY Motorcycle/ATV Lift

Thread starter
Lol, definitely will be posting the complete build on Marketplace/Craigslist to see if others would want something like it! Shipping might be a bit for it though!
 
Thread starter
Got the old Magna on the lift as my test subject last night! Went up and down as smooth as can be, very very very happy with this build so far! Absolutely solid with the locks on and bike ontop.

Adding D-Rings along the sides tonight to strap the bike down, along with trimming the top sheet for some added jack handle clearance.
Then its the CBs turn for some maintenance before the riding season (valve clearance, clutch and brake flush...), then the Magna for carb rebuild, gas tank lining + painting, cam tensioner mods and a few other misc things.
My modified truck bike ramp worked like a charm I was able to easily push the bike up onto the lift myself, and I can push it down the opposite side for easy unloading.
Then I'll get back to the lift project itself, casters for moving, adding my extension for an ATV and any other mods I find I might want after using it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and positive feedback from the forum!
 
Well done, MagnaRider!
 
Very nice! I'm wondering how you raise the jack if it's under the platform and you can't easily move the jack handle up and down...
 
Thread starter
Thank you!

I didn't do it yet, but I am going to trim the front of the top sheet for some jack clearance tonight. Right now, to start it you have to short stroke the jack to get it started, which really isn't too bad. Thats why there is a slot in the top frame if you look at an earlier photo.

I'm sure I will find other mods I want to do once I use it and find out what I'd like to add, but its finally getting warmer in Wisconsin and I want to do my winter maintenance on the CB so it's ready for that first nice day once the salt and sand is off the roads.
 
Ahh, gotcha. I saw the slot in the framework in your earlier pics, was wondering if you were going to clearance the top sheet or if that would make centering a bike on the lift problematic.
 
Thread starter
Yea I had the same thoughts, so I designed the frame to go either way once I got it all together. With the table being 8' long I definitely have some room to trim the top for some added jack clearance without interfering with the bike at all. I'll make it so I can put the sheet back in once the bike is lifted too
 
Thread starter
Got the CB on the lift last night!
Strapped down nice, got some shorter straps just for the lift and some rubber floor pads for under the lift coming today. (Anybody with a garage knows how the floor isn't even everwhere lol).
With some shorter straps I'll probably strap it to the frame tonight, the only flex if you really rock the bike is the bikes suspension more than anything, I'll figure out the right combo for effective strapping.
Excited to hang the welder up for a moment and start wrenching again. :beerchug:

Before that though as you can tell, I need to clean up my shop after this project before starting the next! Honestly as I have gotten older I enjoy putting everything back in its place before moving forward. In my younger days I could live with everything everywhere and now that just drives me nuts!

Also, getting close to 3 weeks without a cig. And got accepted into the local volunteer fire department! Another proud accomplishment!
 
again job well done and congrats on the cig and fire department thing.
 
Thread starter
Thank you.
2025 has been good to me so far, and I hope to continue. Past 2 years I have tried to quit smoking, drinking and improve my health. I made it about this far before going back to my old ways, it took those failures to really step it up this year knowing what I want in life. Plus with the hope of starting a family soon the time has come to man up so to speak.
 
When I quit smoking in 1975, it got much easier after two weeks and every week after that got easier. Good job. Keep it up. One of the things that really convinced me was seeing the lungs of a smoker in the operating room and they were a very deep black, rather than the normal pink. I am 84 now and still have very good lungs. You will too.
 
My congratulations on the lift, the fire brigade and giving up the cigs. If you want to give them up, you will. Don’t be afraid to enlist the help of gum or patches. The latter certainly helped me.
 
Thread starter
Thank you all!

Update - first weekend using the lift and I will never go back to working on a bike on the ground! Having the ability to lower it and raise it as needed is so nice.
Changed my strapping method with short straps to the frame and looped the centerstand to the front wheel so it cannot collapse. Felt extremely safe that the bike wasn't going anywhere regardless of what I was doing.
 
Back
Top